Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is IR35 on the horizon in Ireland?

• 09-02-2021 6:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if this is the incorrect forum to post, but I figured this was the best place to get an informed answer.

As I'm sure many of you are aware, the UK are bringing in IR35 "off-payroll" legislation in April.

This is proving to be quite devastating, resulting in blanket bans across the country: https://offpayroll.org.uk/

I've rapidly gone from supporting multiple clients to not being able to find work at all for the first time.
    Thankfully, there are no shortage of work offers in Ireland & the EU.

I am planning to move my family home to Ireland permanently now.

But I would like to understand if IR35 is in anyway on the horizon in Ireland?
    (From google searches, it doesn't seem like the idea has even been floated.)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    But I would like to understand if IR35 is in anyway on the horizon in Ireland?

Probably, but my crystal ball is not working today....

It already exists in some form or another in some EU countries and pension reform on the cards, it may well happen or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Probably, but my crystal ball is not working today....

It already exists in some form or another in some EU countries and pension reform on the cards, it may well happen or maybe not.

There is less pressure for it in Ireland as there is a reduced ability to roll up the income at low tax rates in the company. The recent Tax Appeals decision on what is professional services income for surcharge purposes may change the economics but the net benefit is different from the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Marcusm wrote: »
    There is less pressure for it in Ireland as there is a reduced ability to roll up the income at low tax rates in the company. The recent Tax Appeals decision on what is professional services income for surcharge purposes may change the economics but the net benefit is different from the U.K.

That is very informative, Thank You.

Could you advise if there is a report or summary of the Tax Appeals decision on what is professional services income for surcharge purposes and could you link me to it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    That is very informative, Thank You.

Could you advise if there is a report or summary of the Tax Appeals decision on what is professional services income for surcharge purposes and could you link me to it please?

Full brief here but if you google it some of the law firms have public summary/commentary:

https://www.taxappeals.ie/en/determinations/108tacd2020-corporation-tax

Advertisement