Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

What's the kinkiest thing that's ever happened to you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I came across this BBC piece this morning completely by chance and it hit a nerve. Thought I'd share,

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-48301517/how-are-we-different-from-traditional-couples

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Shocked to hear gaystarnews.com is closing down, I used that site often and I found it to be one of the better ones for news and current affairs. I always assumed it was an American site, surprised to learn it is British.

Sad that a lack of sponsorship caused it, guess pinkwashing only goes so far for some businesses :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,736 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Shocked to hear gaystarnews.com is closing down, I used that site often and I found it to be one of the better ones for news and current affairs. I always assumed it was an American site, surprised to learn it is British.

Sad that a lack of sponsorship caused it, guess pinkwashing only goes so far for some businesses :(

Ah thats sad. I found it was quite a good site.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I take it, the staff were full time and paid? Would be great if there was fund raising options.

• Advertisement

Here is their statement in full

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/gay-star-news-is-closing-you-deserve-the-full-story-all-our-thanks-and-love/
    We are devastated to have to confirm the reports that Gay Star News has to close, effective immediately.

The site is no longer being updated. We don’t know how long it will remain online for but we will try to preserve it for as long as possible.

Some of you will already have heard this news. It started to break late last night via Twitter.

Of course, we would have wished to tell the story first ourselves. However, our priority was to do what we can for our amazing team and the others directly affected by what is happening.

Why is GSN closing?

Firstly, we feel you deserve to know why we have to close.

Since we started almost eight years ago, Gay Star News has been able to serve our community and grow.

It was clear from the outset that you, our readers and supporters around the world, wanted to hear about and engage with the stories we were telling.

However, it has always been a tough business. This year, it got unexpectedly much tougher.

We entered 2019 with every reason to be confident we were going to have a strong year. But as the year progressed, decisions have been delayed and projects people had committed to do with us have fallen flat.

There are a number of reasons, of course. But the biggest change was the level of confidence brands and businesses in the UK have, due to the uncertainty over Brexit. It won’t surprise anyone to hear that many media organisations are struggling with the same problem.

There has also been another trend which has become more apparent this year. Brands which are wishing to ‘do’ LGBTI work are increasingly doing so in a tokenistic way.

Rather than working with us to engage and serve LGBTI people year round, many have chosen to ‘rainbow wash’. They have turned their logo rainbow colored for Pride week or month and – at best – made a small donation to an LGBTI good cause. Worst still, we have learned that some brands have done this while at the same time funding anti-LGBTI politicians to the tune of millions of dollars. Tokenism has reached a new low.

Of course, most brands and businesses don’t even bother to rainbow wash. They ignore LGBTI customers and colleagues entirely. Anyone who has ever tried to encourage organisations to engage with our community will know they get more rejections than expressions of interest. Very often, one or two individuals in a company are keen but others block activity because it is ‘not a priority’ or even because they don’t want to be a ‘gay’ brand. (The nuances of our LGBTI+ rainbow family obviously escape them.)

That’s why we have consistently said other LGBTI media and organisations are not truly our competitors. They are our friends. Our only enemy has always been tokenism and apathy. In fact, there are very few who serve our global LGBTI community. And if companies and sponsors took us even half as seriously as we deserve as LGBTI people, there would be far more of us and we would be hugely successful.

So we would like to thank our ‘competitors’ for keeping us honest and making us innovate. Your work is vital. And with us gone, please support those who are left – or eventually there will be none left.

To avoid any doubt, our problem has been entirely financial. By all the statistics, Gay Star News is now more widely read, watched and loved by the international LGBTI audience than ever. It is a sad paradox that our popularity has not transferred into our survival. We are convinced we are closing at a time when more people want and need what we offer than ever before.

Thank you

We felt you deserved those answers. But the real point of this letter is to thank you.

Firstly, to thank our shareholders and business loan providers. None of us have ever made a profit from Gay Star News, despite our best efforts. In fact, our first and biggest supporters have all lost massively with our closure, including us personally. As time has gone on, it’s become clear the real reason people were continuing is that they loved what we do and wanted it to succeed. We all believed it would – but time and money have turned against us.

Secondly, we want to thank our clients. For all we have said about business apathy, there are some noble exceptions. Chief among these are our clients and sponsors. Like our shareholders, they took a risk on us. Like our shareholders, they will lose out due to our closure. We have always encouraged them to do authentic, long-term campaigns to really serve our community. They have responded, often magnificently, despite the tokenism of others.

Thirdly, thank you to our partners and colleagues in other LGBTI organisations and beyond. It has been a privilege to share your passion and commitment. We are beyond sorry we will no longer be there to work alongside you and support you – after all, your work is hard enough as it is.

The most heartbreaking moment, of course, was telling our team about our situation. They are exceptional, dedicated, talented. They are our family. We have tried our best to be the team leaders they deserve and are truly sorry that ultimately it wasn’t enough. We can’t imagine ever being lucky enough to work alongside such an amazing group of people again. If you have the opportunity to work with any one of them, now or in the future, please seize it.

And we need to thank you. Without our supporters and audience, there would, of course, been no Gay Star News. It has been an honor to serve you. Your comments, frequently witty and heartwarming, have brightened our days. At other times, when haters have made ignorant or stupid remarks on our social media, you have shut them down for us and stood up for others in our community. Your recommendations have made us grow. Your, often valid, criticisms have forced us to improve.

We have worked hard to empower, engage, unite, inform, inspire and entertain. We have solidly believed in the power of journalism. We have always believed in our community.

Our amazing team have pushed clients to do challenging, positive work. And they have emphasized exclusivity and telling the stories others don’t bother with. We have tried to represent all the diversity of our global LGBTI family and have monitored ourselves to ensure we never forget how important this is. For all the times we’ve fallen short, we are truly sorry. For all the times we have succeeded, we are grateful to you all.

For the two of us as company founders, and indeed for our whole team, Gay Star News has never been about our egos or even what it can do for us. We have wanted to tell your stories and make the world a brighter, better place for LGBTI+ people. We know we’ve helped people, even saved lives. We have been honored every day to have your trust. We hope all that has shone through.

As we said, the news broke before we could tell it. But since then we have been overwhelmed by an outpouring of positivity and love for Gay Star News and the people who have created it. People who have every reason to be angry or disappointed have responded with love and compassion. There have been a lot of hugs and a lot of tears. Thank you all, so, so much for how you have responded.

To the two of us, this response shows two things, which we hope will be our legacy. That Gay Star News was, in all meaningful senses, owned by the community it serves. And that community really did understand how incredible our colleagues were and how much passion they invested in everything we did. Despite what has happened, we are proud of that.

Gay Star News and Digital Pride have never just happened. They have been willed into being by incredible people. Until the very end we had good reason to believe we would survive. We have fought through and won through so many times. We were incredibly close. But this one has broken us, and truly broken our hearts.

With love and thanks,

Tris and Scott

Tris Reid-Smith and Scott Nunn
    Founders, Gay Star News

UPDATE: Things are moving quickly and people are still coming forward with plans to rescue Gay Star News in some form or another. Naturally we will do all we can to make it happen and we are grateful beyond measure for all those trying to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Came across an archive piece on the RTE website,
    It is a clip from Tuesday Report program with Cathal O'Shannon, it is from 1977.

I think the people who appeared in it are exceptional for the time.
    The clip is just 5 minutes long

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2020/0625/1149609-homosexuality-in-ireland/

Lots of really sick nasty vile hateful homophobia towards Minister Roderic O'Gorman and Racism and Mysogyny towards Hazel Chu on social media and other internet sites in the last few days. The far right are getting worse in Ireland unfortunately.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Uhm, wow.

Does anyone know of the veracity of what he's saying (regarding Peter Tatchell)? And the further tweet on David Norris?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

^^ No idea. It's a bit hard to believe given PT is such a well known figure in the UK, more than he ever was I'd say. I see him on UK TV regularly nowadays.

edit: Looks like Peter has seen this and is commentating on Twitter about it. Doubt he knows who Gemma is.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1278423560952954880

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any of you had dating success since the pubs have been closed?

How do you you define success? Meeting someone new (there's plenty of ways to do that), meeting someone new and clicking with them (doubt lockdown has diminished those pitfalls) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How do you you define success? Meeting someone new (there's plenty of ways to do that), meeting someone new and clicking with them (doubt lockdown has diminished those pitfalls) :)

I sort of see pubs and meet-up groups as the main outlets to meet lads and with them all shut down because of this virus those things aren’t possible

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

I'm on and off the apps, success rates are approximately 0.00%, +/- 0%. I'm not meeting anyone but there are one or two boys I've found who are really sweet that I'd definitely like to get to know better in a few months when I move back to my apartment.

This may sound really shallow but I've no interest in meeting guys for dates if we can't kiss let alone have sex. At the moment I'm fairly conscious of the virus and have vulnerable people in my household so I'm just not taking that risk. I don't want to spend a few weeks to months meeting a guy and getting to know him only to eventually realise there is absolutely no spark.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

"Pride Month" sounds wrong - Dublin is June, Limerick and Cork are July, Galway is August. We should just call it "pride season"

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Thats the family of fascists from down west...usual nonsense from them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I cant remember their name specifcally but I did read that they are a family of religious devout who were active in the Repeal the 8th and it looks like the same crowd at the Pride march yesterday

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

It's Dr. Panti now?!

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement