Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start - multiple minor physical issues

• 23-07-2019 1:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭

I have multiple physical problems, nothing major or disabling but they are problems.

List:

Cycling puts pressure on my knees and not muscles in my legs. I can hear my knees squeak if in a quiet room. Same if I try do squats, I feel it in my knees and not my legs. I thought maybe it was form for squats but I don't think there's a way to cycle a bike wrong. I have tried placing different parts of my foot on the pedal, changing angle of foot so it's always horizontal to ground, moving my knees closer to the centre and none have really helped.

I used to play sports and I used to get this sudden "pinch" like feeling in my shoulder. Googling, sounds like a pinched nerve or something which I would say probably is. It has even happened in bed when putting my arm under my pillow.

I need braces - upper and lower

Skin on face and head is extremely dry and itchy and red. Went to a doctor and he didn't know what the problem was.

Sore neck - work in an office all day and my neck is sore. Posture is also bad, maybe this is the cause of the soreness.

One side of my nose has restricted airflow. Very little goes in if I block the other nostril.

Sweaty feet and hands - constantly sweaty. I wonder what it is like for people whose feet and hands don't sweat like mine. Right now I'm sitting at my desk and can rub my toes together and they are slippy. Shaking hands with someone, I try and rub my hands on my trousers to dry them. Washing often is no good, I sweat anyways. Shoes are a stinking mess after a couple weeks.

Basically, for the above I'd like to know the path I should take. I want to go somewhere I speak to someone that knows the answer. I don't have any confidence in GPs.

I don't have a medical card but I don't want to be spending loads of money on consultations, follow ups etc. and then not even be making any progress.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Physio for the knees and neck. And get a workstation assessment done in work to make sure your chair, desk, PC etc. are all positioned correctly. Orthodontist for the braces, and unfortunately they're not going to be cheap. Many places offer a free consultation and allow you to pay in installments though. Think you're going to have to suck it up and see a GP about the blocked nostril and excessive sweating. Adenoid removal & botox injections are possible options for these but, again, aren't going to come cheap, unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Physio for the knees and neck. And get a workstation assessment done in work to make sure your chair, desk, PC etc. are all positioned correctly. Orthodontist for the braces, and unfortunately they're not going to be cheap. Many places offer a free consultation and allow you to pay in installments though. Think you're going to have to suck it up and see a GP about the blocked nostril and excessive sweating. Adenoid removal & botox injections are possible options for these but, again, aren't going to come cheap, unfortunately.

Thanks! What about dental treatment up north? Is there a good cost saving?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Thanks! What about dental treatment up north? Is there a good cost saving?

I don't know, you'd really have to do your research. I know it *can* be cheaper for one-off treatments such as implants/veneers but for braces you'd be travelling up and down once a month, every month for the duration of the treatment (which could be up to two years) to have them tightened, so you need to factor repeated travel costs into your equations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

It sounds like you have a list of "niggles" so I reckon you're over 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Squeaky knees. Are they painful? If not, is there really an issue? (ask physio)

Pinch and stiff neck. Maybe related. Bad posture and office work will cause this. Physio might be able to give you exercises with a tennis ball to loosen it. I find walks help.

Braces. A visit to a orthodontist will at least allow you to discuss your options. If it's just cosmetic and your teeth are healthy, it's probably the more expensive thing on your shopping list, but at least there's a definite fix.

Dry skin. Google a better skincare regime.

Nostril.. probably one for your doctor.

Sweaty feet and hands. Wear lighter clothes and more comfortable shoes. If you're overweight, lose some.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Get a fan for the desk and see a doctor.
    Do Pilates.
    Get a bike fitting.
    See a physio.
    Maybe consider getting the nose straightened. See a doctor about it.

You climb Everest in lots of small steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

OP I second the suggestion to see a physio but what's your diet like? Cut out wheat, dairy and sugar for a while and see how it goes. If it's all too much then cut out wheat first, then sugar and then dairy. Some people with skin issues find that helps. Some people with arthritis and joint issues find that helps too.

Wash with a mild soap free shower gel and use a perfume free cream such as E45 to moisturise afterwards.

Advertisement