Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

I'm doing it. The cycle leg looks really tough. Just aiming to finish under 7hrs myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

I've only done one 70.3 previously in a bit under 6 hours but that course (Elsinore 2018) had significantly less elevation in the bike leg.
    What is your 7 hour time estimate based on?
    I'm still trying to figure out if I should bring my TT or road bike with aerobars.
    Also still looking for accommodation in Dun Laoghaire as it doesn't seem possible to travel from Dublin on Sunday morning for the early start.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Did it last year and finished in around 7 hours. Doing it again this year, so hoping to trim some time off that.

Said it before in other threads but, for me, this event is all about pacing the cycle. The swim and run are pretty straightforward (although a sea swim always has its potential issues) but the cycle is very up and down. Very important to have hill training on the bike done beforehand IMO.

Can’t comment on TT vs road bike (I only have a road bike) or travel from Dublin (staying in DL and stayed local last year too).

My only tip is to watch the road closure cut offs if you are a weak swimmer. The official cut off for the swim + bike is 5.5 hours from when you personally cross the swim start mat. However, last year, there was a defined time of day when they had to reopen the roads (If I recall correctly this was only mentioned in the race briefing last year and wasn’t in the FAQs on the website). What that meant is that some folks who self-seeded themselves right at the back for the swim start (as advised), where taken off the bike course due to the roads needing to reopen, even though they were on-track to finish the swim + bike in under 5.5 hours. I recall some angry comments on social media about this and it does seem a bit unfair to penalize someone for adhering to the self-seeding advice for the rolling swim start*

*i appreciate the need for a defined time for reopening the road, I just think they need to communicate this in a clearer fashion (ie, not just at the race briefing)

EDit - good tips to remember there.
    I don't have enough hills here in Denmark to train for the DL bike leg, but I'll do my best with what I've got. I'm aware that it is a difficult bike leg and have biked it previously, but that was a decade ago and it wasn't part of a triathlon with a half marathon afterwards! I'm planning on arriving in DL on Friday before the triathlon and will take a spin through part of the bike leg to get a bit used to the course, particularly any tough ascents or descents.
    Regarding the swim, in general I'm a strong swimmer and train in the ocean here in Denmark but I wasn't aware of tying the cut off times to road closures so I'll make sure to put myself near the front of the swim group. My usual open water swimming pace is around 2:00/100m.

jspruit wrote: »
    EDit - good tips to remember there.
    I don't have enough hills here in Denmark to train for the DL bike leg, but I'll do my best with what I've got. I'm aware that it is a difficult bike leg and have biked it previously, but that was a decade ago and it wasn't part of a triathlon with a half marathon afterwards! I'm planning on arriving in DL on Friday before the triathlon and will take a spin through part of the bike leg to get a bit used to the course, particularly any tough ascents or descents.
    Regarding the swim, in general I'm a strong swimmer and train in the ocean here in Denmark but I wasn't aware of tying the cut off times to road closures so I'll make sure to put myself near the front of the swim group. My usual open water swimming pace is around 2:00/100m.

Yeah, with that swim pace, you’ll be fine. Its more related to folks who are likely to need a full hour or an hour plus and seed themselves right at the back.

Good plan re: biking some of the route on Friday and hope your race goes well 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

Do you mean the Friday 2 days before the race or a full week before?

I'll have to bike part of the bike course on Friday before the race as I'm not a local. I know that it isn't ideal, but I'll have to take it a bit easy to ensure that I don't wear myself out during the training ride.

Maybe a trip in a car would be better, course is a lot of work eniskerry onwards, and you’d get a feel for the downhill sections too, you’ll just goose your legs if you get into it I think so close to the race.

Good tip - I'll just have to get ahold of someone with a car to borrow then!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

reidman wrote: »
    Maybe a trip in a car would be better, course is a lot of work eniskerry onwards, and you’d get a feel for the downhill sections too, you’ll just goose your legs if you get into it I think so close to the race.

agreed

I live on the doorstep of it and do it regular! I done it at a very easy pace the other day again and still legs were fried after it! Its the lough tay climb and stretch of road pretty much all the way to johnny foxes that is leg zapping! dont under estimate the drags... the main 2 climbs old long hill and lough tay are hard but the other drags can equally kill ya! (Especaially with a bad wind)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

S_D wrote: »
    agreed

I live on the doorstep of it and do it regular! I done it at a very easy pace the other day again and still legs were fried after it! Its the lough tay climb and stretch of road pretty much all the way to johnny foxes that is leg zapping! dont under estimate the drags... the main 2 climbs old long hill and lough tay are hard but the other drags can equally kill ya! (Especaially with a bad wind)

My first 70.3 having only done my first Olympic in June. The bike course terrifies me. Well I know I will get through it but I am not a fast or powerful cyclist so it's the cut offs that terrify me.

Have done the loop part of the route from kilternan back to Kilternan 3 or 4 times and found it a tough slog . As mentioned here it's not the 2 or 3 steep ramps that get you it's the long gradual pulls that go on and on. Done most of my weekend long spins since March in the Wicklow hills so have quite a bit of climbing done. Currently on a 2 week family holiday so spins are a bit flatter at the moment but hoping I have enough climbing in the legs.

No specific time goal except to finish inside the cut off time

Both looking forward to the event and kind of terrified at the same time !

S_D wrote: »
    agreed

That uphill to Johnny fox’s was an unwelcome bonus first time I did it, emphasizes that the course is unrelenting even close to the end and to keep the hr in the go forever zone and think about the run. Going to be a great day out ��

Thanks for the tips everyone ! It's going to be a great event!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 edit_me

There is another option. If you using Tacx smart trainer, it is possible to create route, upload it to Tacx desktop app and virtually ride it. Not as useful as real ride as sometimes elevation data isn't that accurate (I used Strava Route Builder for local triathlon bike course that is literally 100 meters away from home), but you can get an idea how the course feels like.

edit_me wrote: »
    There is another option. If you using Tacx smart trainer, it is possible to create route, upload it to Tacx desktop app and virtually ride it. Not as useful as real ride as sometimes elevation data isn't that accurate (I used Strava Route Builder for local triathlon bike course that is literally 100 meters away from home), but you can get an idea how the course feels like.

Thanks but I don't have a smart trainer. Will have to do with the hills that I have here and take into the account the comments that are providing so that I don't blow up on the long climbs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 TriNRun

I'm doing this race, did cork 140.6 also ,any one else do Youghal? How will the hills compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

TriNRun wrote: »
    I'm doing this race, did cork 140.6 also ,any one else do Youghal? How will the hills compare?

Cork was 950 meters per loop and DL is 1200 so not a massive amount more. How did you find the Cork cycle route?

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Cork was 950 meters per loop and DL is 1200 so not a massive amount more. How did you find the Cork cycle route?

I found a few of the hills a bit tough, particularly windmill hill which was a nightmare but overall I thought it was fair , DL will be more of a challenge for me as my hill cycling is a bit slow compared to others , I'm going with aero deep rims as I'm thinking I can make time back on the descents and flats that I lose of the climbs even though they will be more rigid for the uphill

I found a few of the hills a bit tough, particularly windmill hill which was a nightmare but overall I thought it was fair , DL will be more of a challenge for me as my hill cycling is a bit slow compared to others , I'm going with aero deep rims as I'm thinking I can make time back on the descents and flats that I lose of the climbs even though they will be more rigid for the uphill

Yeah windmill was steep but very short. The only section of DL that is steep is at luggla but it’s short. What was your time on the Cork bike leg?

Yeah windmill was steep but very short. The only section of DL that is steep is at luggla but it’s short. What was your time on the Cork bike leg?

7:45 for the bike, got a puncture on second lap cost me 15 minutes , lugala I think I've been up that mountain a few times but not on the bike

• Advertisement

Anyone here local to the bike route? Heard some rumors that several of the roads on the route have recently been gravelled and are ATM, quite dangerous...is this true?

7:45 for the bike, got a puncture on second lap cost me 15 minutes , lugala I think I've been up that mountain a few times but not on the bike

You will have no problem with DL keep the head down and keep spinning.

Pretty sure DL is 1400 ?

efwren wrote: »
    Pretty sure DL is 1400 ?

Not according to the IM bike map.

https://m.eu.ironman.com/~/media/97b70ff703864ae1b524b6899b7a5b24/imdl%20bike%20map.jpg

Okay, I was looking at the info provided here:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29151255

And here : https://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/dun-laoghaire/athletes/course.aspx#axzz5v0y7jFpZ

where it states: "The course climbs a total of 1400 metres"

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

Definitely closer to 1400m

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Strava clocked it at 1310 M for me in last years race. So say its in and around that.

Compared to Cork in my opinion its alot tougher. Contastly feels like your climbing, 3 big climbs and another few small ones, Nothing like windmill hill but was one that hit 19% up beside loch Tay but thats even shorter than Windmill. But whats fantastic is the last 25km is fast, very fast.

Enjoy it, the course really is gorgeous which helps on the cycle.

Anyone else do cork and looking to complete DL?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

EDit wrote: »
    Anyone here local to the bike route? Heard some rumors that several of the roads on the route have recently been gravelled and are ATM, quite dangerous...is this true?

Yep I saw from a fellow Strava follower; cursing the roads up there. Not sure where exactly thou. Worth a drive some time close to the race if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

jester1980 wrote: »
    Strava clocked it at 1310 M for me in last years race. So say its in and around that.

Compared to Cork in my opinion its alot tougher. Contastly feels like your climbing, 3 big climbs and another few small ones, Nothing like windmill hill but was one that hit 19% up beside loch Tay but thats even shorter than Windmill. But whats fantastic is the last 25km is fast, very fast.

Enjoy it, the course really is gorgeous which helps on the cycle.

New changes to the course this year add in a decent extra climb at Enniskerry though hence it being closer to 1400

Advertisement