Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS App

• 02-07-2019 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

Hi

This might be a stupid question, but here it goes. Is it possible to use my phone to follow a trail route? I've downloaded the GPS coordinates but I don't have a Garmin or GPS. Basically I don't want to get lost so looking for an app that can show me the route to take. Directions etc. It's in a remote area on trails so Google maps is not an option. I'm on an android device.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Try ViewRanger, and would also recommend you learn to use a map and compass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

noby wrote: »
    Try ViewRanger, and would also recommend you learn to use a map and compass.

I can actually use one, but on this particular route there are loads of trails. I want to be on the right trail. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Remote areas and mobile phones don't generally mix well

Edit: Apologies, now realise you mean an app that will show the route but not the current position

Hoboo wrote: »

Edit: Apologies, now realise you mean an app that will show the route but not the current position

No prob. I've actually navigated a lot using both a compass and map, this route loops over itself about 12 times and it's a timed challenge more so because of the terrain. GPS is allowed so I don't want to waist time taking map coordinates and plotting the route. If that app shows current position that would also be helpful. It's a remote location but not that remote. Im sure there wil still be a signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hoboo wrote: »

The GPS constellation covers most of the globe and all of Ireland. Add in GLONASS/Beidou and the coverage is even better.

If you create and preload a route on Strava that may fulfil your requirements. If you use the heatmap function it can highlight trails that aren't part of the OSM database.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If the maps are on the device itself rather than you relying on mobile data then it doesn't matter how remote you are. Viewranger allows you to download offline map segments of, for example their own outdoor maps based on OSM data, for use when out of reach of mobile data signals. Assuming the trails you're on are on that, you're sorted.

Thanks all. I'll try that Viewranger. A route with GPS was uploaded to Strava recently so I'll upload it to Viewranger and see how it goes. Not sure it will give my exact position or directions but I'll try it out and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I also use ViewRanger, but you have to pay for the maps (not expensive if you only need a small area). You then download the map tiles onto your device.

I can confirm this works very reliably and accurately in the most remote areas of the Wicklow mountains where there is no mobile phone reception. It guided me to the correct way down Lugnaquilla during a blizzard with near zero visibility where reading a map would have been near impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

unkel wrote: »
    I also use ViewRanger, but you have to pay for the maps (not expensive if you only need a small area). You then download the map tiles onto your device.
    You have to pay for Premium maps (OSI, OSNI, EastWest) yes, but there are some decent free ones that may be sufficient for his needs, depending where he's going. The Viewranger Outdoor maps, which look like they've been based on OSM data with added contour lines are quite useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If it is important you are on the right trail, I would highly recommend buying the tiles (OSI / East West) and not use the free maps. I found them pretty useless, but last time I checked was a good few years ago, maybe things have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Are the east west maps still available on VR?

I know he launched his own app recently, I haven’t bought the maps yet though, as I already had them on VR

Advertisement