Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nice white trainers to go with summer dresses

Options
  • 02-07-2019 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

hi folks - I'm looking for recommendations re nice white trainers that will go with summer dresses, I've done the cheap and cheerful (i.e. Dunnes / Penneys), but the insides cause perspiration on my feet, even with socks, so looking for something a bit better (that can face a washing machine ideally, given it's Ireland and they will at some point end up in the rain!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Adidas Stan Smith's are a classic for this look.
    Check their outlet store as can often have good discounts on similar styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I’m not sure if you’re after leather or canvas upper, but Superga Cotu classics in white could also be another option (they’re canvas). They’re available in schuh, but I bought mine on amazon for a much cheaper price. Vans and converse could also be another option if you’re after canvas shoes.

If you’re after leather, yep Stan Smiths mentioned above would be perfect.... or Adidas Superstars

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Classic Adidas styles like Stan Smith, Gazelle or Sleek come to mind. Hard to beat the classic.

Or maybe Converse?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Don't go for suede. Superga and I suspect most other canvas trainers can be washed in washing machine but it is hard to get all the stains out. I think they are a bit cooler than leather shoes but for me leather shoes are easier to keep clean. I love the look of Veja V 10 trainers but they are not the coolest to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I like white converse :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

defo not on the canvas, one shower of rain and they'll be destroyed.......at least with the leather, they can be washed

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Adidas Stan smiths or the new Reeboks - https://www.reebok.ie/club-c-85/DV3727.html

I find converse so uncomfortable!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

Adidas Continental

Continental_80_Shoes_White_CG7120_01_standard.jpg

Reebok Classic

Classic_Leather_White_2232_01_standard.jpg

Classic_Leather_White_49801_01_standard.jpg

Air Force Ones

315122_111?$Main_gray$

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Pretty much all the in-fashion runners are too thick-soled or chunky for my liking. I genuinely haven’t bought a new pair of fashion runners in several years as I don’t like the current styles.

I’m still wearing runners like Adidas Country Sleeks, Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66 or Puma Harambee that I bought 10-15 years ago. I’m consoling myself with the thought that the fashion wheel will spin around again and bring my favourite runner styles back into fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

xtal191 wrote: »
    Adidas Continental

Reebok Classic

Air Force Ones

Thanks - those soles are too deep for me though, I want something a bit dainty to go with light summer dresses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

dudara wrote: »
    Pretty much all the in-fashion runners are too thick-soled or chunky for my liking. I genuinely haven’t bought a new pair of fashion runners in several years as I don’t like the current styles.

Same!
    Awful shape and style IMO.
    Glad I've kept some of my favorites in good condition, like classic tigers.
    Recently splashed out on an old Adidas style I say on eBay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

cjmcork wrote: »
    hi folks - I'm looking for recommendations re nice white trainers that will go with summer dresses, I've done the cheap and cheerful (i.e. Dunnes / Penneys), but the insides cause perspiration on my feet, even with socks, so looking for something a bit better (that can face a washing machine ideally, given it's Ireland and they will at some point end up in the rain!)

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

cjmcork wrote: »

Consider a pair of Nike Cortez in white?

https://www.nike.com/gb/t/classic-cortez-shoe-qlrLDL/807471-102?Nst=0&cp=euns_kw_pla%7cie%7cgoo%7c%7c1604104517%7c56317026610%7c%7cc%7ccssproducts%7cEN%7c305374469497&ds_rl=1252249&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyuqwqbeW4wIVSlXTCh10GgvBEAQYASABEgKlC_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lacoste Lerond have more of a plimsole look.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭claregal1

Hi - I picked up nice white ones in River Island on sale last week..reduced from 50 to 18 . I too got them just to wear with skirts and dresses for Summer. A friend of mine picked up a pair in Shoe rack on sale as well for 20 I think so maybe check out both those stores online . Size up with River Island as the sizes can be small !

How about Nike Internationalists?

internationalist-shoe-YPTAGn2O.jpg

I'm slightly biased, however, as I want a pair in black and white - and think the silhouette look great under skinny jeans, etc :p

Currently priced at 90euro with Nike, but if you have a unidays account, you can get a discount code

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I have them but in suede so they were completely destroyed after a year. Lovely with jeans. Most of the runners don't work with skirts for me. Superga would be the best. So if you are not sure about what type of runner it might be worthwhile to narrow down the styles you like and try them.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I have them but in suede so they were completely destroyed after a year. Lovely with jeans. Most of the runners don't work with skirts for me. Superga would be the best. So if you are not sure about what type of runner it might be worthwhile to narrow down the styles you like and try them.

I have the Supergas Cotus in white and they’re very versatile. They do get stained but I popped them in an express wash and they cane out pretty clean.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

You can get a leather converse now which I think are quite nice:
    https://www.schuh.ie/womens/converse-all-star-dainty-leather-white-trainers/1922751020/
    or:
    1922851020m3_lg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I swear by these, have actually bought them twice as my first pair got wrecked (my own fault)

https://www.superdry.ie/products?product_id=3484877&source=googleshopping&locale=en-IE&nst=0&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpPHoBRC3ARIsALfx-_KOOZ-n2F0Z5aVJawpSWXW_m_PO0qgy2Bk2mhtNkicnNwgVfBow3yoaAqJYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

They've been through the machine a few times, and are still wearable.

They're definitely much more comfortable than penneys/dunnes cheapo options. I find them sweaty and have no arch support, they'd hurt my feet after a while and cause blisters.

Am thinking of getting another pair of the Superdry LowPro so I can keep them for "good wear" as my current pair have been through a lot at this stage.

They're a good price too :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement