Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PDC World Matchplay - July 20-28 Winter Gardens Blackpool

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Easy to see which player has previously won a Major final and which one hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Who is doing the commentary?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Does anyone else think Mardle is being a bit of a dick to Peterson in the coms box?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Mardle is being a bit of a dick to Peterson in the coms box?

Yep noticed that but Devon isn’t helping himself with some of the nonsense he’s coming out with.

TbL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Game on now. Another brilliant comeback. Smith has really upped it. In fairness Cross hasn't played well all game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

14-11. Cross lost it a bit in that leg before the break. Chucking darts away.

Come on Smith!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

The crowd needs to shut up

Good fight back from Smith but he gave himself far too much to do. He really has a problem starting finals, all in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Smith messed up when he was on the verge of the comeback

Something about Cross annoys me. Some amount of parts in darts these days. Congrats to him is he on his back to the top ? December's not too long away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Blinkers_off

Absolute clown going for the 170 when your opponents on no finish

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Smith messed up when he was on the verge of the comeback

Something about Cross annoys me. Some amount of parts in darts these days. Congrats to him is he on his back to the top ? December's not too long away
    He's definitely the second best player in the world, and that's not an insult.

He might have won, but I still think that winning 9 of the first 10 and then winning only 9 of the last 21 is a major slip up.

Didn’t like Cross when he broke into the scene, but since winning the WC I think he’s handled himself very well, not a moaner or argumentative and shows respect and fair play during and after his games.

I like him.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The crowd were unfair to Cross tonight, constant noise when he was on a double

Ally Dick wrote: »
    The crowd were unfair to Cross tonight, constant noise when he was on a double
    He brings it on himself, if you create hype around a single dart then the crowd will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Best tournament there’s been in a long time I think.

Good for Cross to show he wasn’t a one trick pony by following up his Worlds win. Crowd were too loud at times tonight I felt and the referee should have asked for some order.

Smith getting to the World and Matchplay finals back to back is a great achievement but to push on he needs to get his mentality right and be a bit more consistent. At his very best he’s bang up there with anyone.

Rob Cross' 95.16 this evening is the lowest final average by the tournament winner since Phil Taylor's 94.38 in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Best player won on the night a pretty average final to be fair but overall really enjoyed the weeks darts.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Smith getting to the World and Matchplay finals back to back is a great achievement but to push on he needs to get his mentality right and be a bit more consistent. At his very best he’s bang up there with anyone.

The problem is that he is awful in the finals, complete bottle job.

He went 9-0 down in the Premier League final, he went 4-0 in sets down in the World Championships final and he went 9-0 down in the Matchplay final.

You could see by his body language he was not comfortable at all last night, especially during the early stages. As was already said, Cross did not play well at all. Smith will never have an easier chance to win a major final, he blew it.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    The problem is that he is awful in the finals, complete bottle job.

He went 9-0 down in the Premier League final, he went 4-0 in sets down in the World Championships final and he went 9-0 down in the Matchplay final.

You could see by his body language he was not comfortable at all last night, especially during the early stages. As was already said, Cross did not play well at all. Smith will never have an easier chance to win a major final, he blew it.

Hopefully he’ll learn from it, three capitulations in 3 finals is seriously concerning for him but he’s got the raw talent, now needs to get the head right

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭boomdocker

I like Cross, but what's with the carry on when he wins games
    Always seems to turn around to his opponent and sort of apologise for winning
    Sometimes I wish he'd just give an ole 'arms in the air, I fookin' won' sort of celebration instead of that carry on

As for Smith, I know the old addage is you have to lose one before you win one, but that's two of the biggest lost this year, and he was shocking in the first half of the match, as said above, a complete bottle job, especially when you consider that Cross wasn't playing that great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 fqollere

He's an insufferable knob. Not just on telly.

Always been a lot of knobends in the darts

A lot of the greats were masters of the mind games and gamesmanship

Did Bristow have the best line ever since Ali " I'll go through them like a knife through hot butter"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

fqollere wrote: »
    Always been a lot of knobends in the darts

A lot of the greats were masters of the mind games and gamesmanship

Did Bristow have the best line ever since Ali " I'll go through them like a knife through hot butter"

It's nothing to do with mind games he's just an arrogant, ignorant man in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 fqollere

It's nothing to do with mind games he's just an arrogant, ignorant man in general.

Not gurney I didn't mean him

Advertisement