Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

On This Day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    22 Year Ago today, Stone Crazy by The Beatnuts was released.
    What a cracker of an album.

First time to hear this over the weekend.
    It's class alright

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

T. Hanks^ wrote: »
    First time to hear this over the weekend.
    It's class alright
    The single from the album was a huge deal at the time as it had Big Pun and Cuban Link on it. This was around the time that Terror Squad was getting a name for itself and everyone was dying to hear anything from Big Pun.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Atmosphere - Overcast! is 22 years old now. Great album, I didn't catch onto it for a while as I had no idea it existed. I thought they just had Sevens Travels and Lucy Ford and was delighted to find this existed.

A lot rougher around the edges, but Slug is finding his feet between battle MC and story teller on the album.

Scarface - The Fix is 17 years old today. I think this is the Scarface album that got people talking about him on a national level in the USA as a solo artist. Before that he was always seen as a regional rapper...this is all just my perspective looking in :)

Watch The Throne by Kanye and Jay Z is 8 years old today.

What should have been a great album in my opinion was a big pile of steaming sh*te apart from Otis.
    I'm going to give it another listen today to see if my opinion has changed since the last time I suffered through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

What should have been a great album in my opinion was a big pile of steaming sh*te apart from Otis.
    I'm going to give it another listen today to see if my opinion has changed since the last time I suffered through it.

I don't think it'll have changed at all :D

In more classical terms though, on 8th August 1988, NWA's Straight Outta Compton was released!!!

Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
    25 years old today.
    This was recorded at the same time as Enter Da 36 Chambers, well it actually started before the Wu album but was released after it.

Classic album, still bumps from start to finish. Prince Pauls touches through the album make it flow beautifully together.

Cypress Hill's self titled debut is 28 years old today, released in 1991.

NWA - 100 Miles and Runnin EP is 29 years old today.

Organized Konfusion released their second album, Stress: The Extinction Agenda, 25 years ago today (1994).
    What a cracker of an album, I'd say it's not one that is well known, but well worth a listen to even today.

• Advertisement

I actually like this track

Clipse - Lord Willin is 17 years old today.
    I still haven't listened to it in full although some friends call this a certified classic

I missed a few recently,
    O.C. - Jewelz - 22 Years old on the 19th - one of my all time favorite albums.
    Mobb Deep - Murda Muzik - 20 years old on the 17th

I missed a few recently,
    O.C. - Jewelz - 22 Years old on the 19th - one of my all time favorite albums.
    Mobb Deep - Murda Muzik - 20 years old on the 17th

I had a listen to this recently again after years of not playing it.
    It's more grim sounding than I remember.

T. Hanks^ wrote: »
    I had a listen to this recently again after years of not playing it.
    It's more grim sounding than I remember.

I wasn't a huge fan of it, their previous albums were stellar in comparison to it. That said, I should revisit it as people say that Prod came into his own lane around this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I think the reverse is true. '99 was the beginning of the end for Prodigy. You can hear his health problems affecting his mic presence on some of the songs on that album. You can hear the weak lyricism and flow beginning to creep in too.

Tha Alkholiks - Liquidation is 22 years old!
    Brilliant album, production is amazing on this and Tash is one of the greatest rappers.

A couple of days late:

Xzibit - 40 Dayz & 40 Nightz is 21 years old.

Lauren Hill - The Miseducation is 21 years old. Was just listening to this over the weekend, very good album.

Diamond D - Hatred, Passions and Infidelity is 22 years old today

High & Mighty - Home Field Advantage - 20 Years old

Another of my all time favorite albums, Outkast - ATLiens was released 23 years ago today.

Outkast-atliens.jpg

I was in and out of Abbey Discs annoying Jamie about this weekly until a copy arrived in.

Blackalicious - Nia is 20 years old today. Cracking album, and up there as some of the best live performers I've seen.

• Advertisement

Eazy E - Eazy Duz It is 31 years old today.
    This is the album that I first listened to and made me want jump head first into hip hop music.

Ice T - Power was also release 31 years ago today.

25 years ago today. Ready To Die by Biggie was released.

I initially didn't like BIG, I've no idea why. But after about a year of the album being out I properly got into it.

Eazy E - Eazy Duz It is 31 years old today.
    This is the album that I first listened to and made me want jump head first into hip hop music.

https://twitter.com/realmcren/status/1172675177143926790?s=19

Ol' Dirty Bastard - N***a Please is 20 years old today.
    I always thought this album was like a patchwork quilt, bit's of different things thrown together and seeing what happens. He was on a label that wanted a single, but yet he had RZA and GZA behind him writing for him....plus, from the recent Wu documentary, it doesn't look like he was coherent for the recording process. And there was the money issues behind him as well.
    It has it's highs and lows as an album.

Aesop Rock - Labor Days is 19 years old. Stone cold classic album.

Brother Ali - Mourning in America is 7 years old, this album grows with every listen

Big Daddy Kane - It's a Big Daddy Thing is 30 years old today. It's his second album and has some gems on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Ol' Dirty Bastard - N***a Please is 20 years old today.
    I always thought this album was like a patchwork quilt, bit's of different things thrown together and seeing what happens. He was on a label that wanted a single, but yet he had RZA and GZA behind him writing for him....plus, from the recent Wu documentary, it doesn't look like he was coherent for the recording process. And there was the money issues behind him as well.
    It has it's highs and lows as an album.

ODB was out of his mind around this time. Pras tells a (hilarious) story about the recording of their song Ghetto Superstar where ODB bursts into Pras' studio thinking its his own, turns out he's not even in the right state.

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

70557121_2267608683350160_8116330055803600896_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQmaW7KNLJBOQ-BEjBDYCi84us1JegkgpROqTd6hEKjPrss9V46TziPDUbrvj8jnLBw&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=0d38559a7e2358edb8416496f719928c&oe=5E009F08

28 years old today. Classic album.

• Advertisement

Brother Ali - US is 10 years old.

Advertisement