Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to buy nice tofu?

• 28-05-2019 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭

The Hing Wong market on Airton Road is closed for good. I used to go there almost weekly for batches of lovely firm fresh tofu. Any ideas on where to go now?

Don't fancy that tetrapak uht stuff much :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

The only tofu I like is smoked Tofoo, I get it in Tesco. It might not fit your requirements and will be a lot dearer than you are used to.

There is also an Asian market over in Liffey Valley retail park, beside Kavanaghs & Dealz that you might be able to source some in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

kcdiom wrote: »
    The only tofu I like is smoked Tofoo, I get it in Tesco. It might not fit your requirements and will be a lot dearer than you are used to.

There is also an Asian market over in Liffey Valley retail park, beside Kavanaghs & Dealz that you might be able to source some in?

Feck... Liffey Valley is a bit far away. Kinda nullifies the vegan effect if I burn petrol on a 40 minutes round trip to pick up 6 euro worth of perishable curd. I'd be better off buying local beef!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 onlinemonkey

Tesco and Supervalue sell Cauldron tofu, its organic and firm. I use it all the time and its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

fat bloke wrote: »
    Feck... Liffey Valley is a bit far away. Kinda nullifies the vegan effect if I burn petrol on a 40 minutes round trip to pick up 6 euro worth of perishable curd. I'd be better off buying local beef!:pac:

Ah sure if you find yourself in that general direction you can leave the beef ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Best tofu:

tofoo from tesco
    super tahoe from dunnes
    cauldron from a few supermarkets I believe
    any asian supermarket (cheapest by far)

• Advertisement

I didn't know supervalue did it. That cauldron stuff is similar to what lidl have now and then I think is it? it's grand - reasonably long life - like 3-4 week use by, but still not a patch on the fresh stuff which has to be used within a few days.

I saw a good vid online actually about making your own. Bit of a faff but doable alright.

Good news for anyone interested.

Found a new asian market in Ballymount (it's well signposted). Loads of lovely fresh blocks of tofu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Tofoo brand Smoked flavour is unreal. Love that you don't have to cook it, you can just eat it cold. I zap it for a sec in the microwave sometimes, just to heat it a tad for a salad.
    It's 3 quid, which is great value compared to the Quorn fridge bits that don't need cooking, the cocktail sausages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Have been looking at that Tofoo brand. Must try it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Cauldron organic marinated tofu from Tesco. I really really like this. Delicious even cold.

28g of protein for €2 (160g), reduced from usual €3. You can't beat that; just buy the shelf!!!

"Discover inspiration everyday"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

auspicious wrote: »
    Cauldron organic marinated tofu from Tesco. I really really like this. Delicious even cold.

28g of protein for €2 (160g), reduced from usual €3. You can't beat that; just buy the shelf!!!

"Discover inspiration everyday"

I used to get that one for ages. Recently a girl showed me how she marinates it. Unbelievable.

I’ll never buy that stuff above again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I used to get that one for ages. Recently a girl showed me how she marinates it. Unbelievable.

I’ll never buy that stuff above again.

You forgot to finish your post. Don't leave us in the dark!

Does she freeze it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

auspicious wrote: »
    You forgot to finish your post. Don't leave us in the dark!

Does she freeze it?

Fire into a bowl

Seseame oil
    Soya sauce
    Garlic
    Ginger

Marinate For 20min.

Chuck it all in the pan.

Probs very basic but for me it’s a game changer for me anyway.

I bought that tufo above a few times and always found it meh.

Advertisement