Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Movies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Yeah I would associate Ghostbusters as an axman’s movie, also Gremlins.
    McGaggs wrote: »
    You're making me think that any movie on this list should have at least one of Dan Ackroyd or Bill Murray in it. (Wasn't there a shot in Ghostbusters where they're all wearing santa hats? Ghostbusters 2 was definitely set over Xmas.)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Die Hard
    Home Alone
    Scrooged
    Lethal Weapon
    Yolki (Russian movie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Horrified no mentions of The Grinch yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

I like the grinch cartoon but the Jim Carey one is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Santa clause the movie and a nightmare before Christmas- a little dark but it’s a good film

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Die Hard
    Die Hard 2
    Elf
    Trading Places
    Santa Claus The Movie

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

NIMAN wrote: »
    My kids have never seen Home Alone, and are now at an age where I think they'd really enjoy it, so I'm really looking forward to watching it all together this Xmas.

If you haven't seen it in years you'll probably be shocked by what appalling parents the McAllisters are. Long before they forget to bring him on the plane they are just a hideous, emotionally abusive family. First time I watched it as a parent I was :eek: at most of the first 20 minutes of the movie.

I still watch it every year because criminals being roasted by blow torches and taking repeated body blows is hilarious. But I'm still a bit sad at the end when Kevin's stockholm syndrome turns back on and he's happy to see his awful family come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Top 5 are easy.

Its a wonderful life
    National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
    Home Alone
    Scrooged
    Elf

Honourable mentions though to Miracle on 34th Street, The Family Man, Santa Clause the movie & The nightmare before christmas.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Elf
    The Santa Clause
    The Grinch
    A Miracle on 34th St

Honourable mentions go to Bridget Jones Diary, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (original one!) and Mean Girls.
    Not Christmas movies by any means but its not Christmas in my house unless I've watched all of those too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jamesieliz

Muppet Christmas Carol
    Scrooged
    Bad Santa
    Elf
    Trading Places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

1) A Muppet Christmas Carol
    2) The Holiday
    3) Love Actually
    4) Elf
    5) How The Grinch Stole Christmas (the original animation from the 60's)

Honorable mentions: Carol (mostly because of it's STUNNING vintage cinematography and seeing 1950's New York at Christmas, it's DELISH); The Family Stone; Nativity!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

It's a Wonderful Life
    Nightmare before Christmas
    Then I always get a warm fuzzy feeling from 80s - 90s movies that have some kind of
    Christmas/NYE scene in them:
    Moonstruck
    Hannah and her sisters
    Sleepless in Seattle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

otnomart wrote: »
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Nightmare before Christmas
    Then I always get a warm fuzzy feeling from 80s - 90s movies that have some kind of
    Christmas/NYE scene in them:
    Moonstruck
    Hannah and her sisters
    Sleepless in Seattle
    I LOVE Moonstruck! Nicholas Cage ... mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 21,820 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Willie Wonka And The Chocolate Factory ,
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ,
    Mary Poppins ,
    The Harry Potter films ,

Not technically Christmas films , but they're the ones I without fail sit down and watch over the Christmas holidays :o

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,272 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Die Hard
    Die Hard 2
    Gremlins
    Bad Santa
    The Great Escape (a staple of Christmas Day/Stephen's Day afternoons when I was growing up, nobody ever shows it any more)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Love Actually
    The Bishops Wife
    The Holiday
    The Preachers Wife
    The Santa Clause

Need to amend my list and add Black Christmas. Its brilliant. I loved when Scream etc came out and love the original Halloweens. Guys you have to see this, slasher/Christmas movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Christmas_(1974_film)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Elf
    Polar Express
    Home Alone
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    Arthur Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

The Santa Clause
    The Grinch
    Elf
    Polar Express
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sky cinema Christmas channel starts on November 7th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Chronicles of Christmas is coming to Netflix soon, their own movie with Kurt Russell, the trailer is up now.
    It looks very enjoyable.

I have expat TV here so for the first time in my ten years away I will have the Late Late Toy show and Sky cinema to watch Christmas movies.

I would try the Hallmark ones but as another poster stated, I think it was Toto Wolfcastle, that they're a bit brain washie, the leader is good the leader is great type stuff about the US of A. Stars and stripes in every shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Hallmark ones are always incredibly cheesy and predictable (they’re basically all the same script) but I love them! I even watched the entire ‘thanks for your service, Cody’ military propaganda one and kind of enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Hallmark ones are always incredibly cheesy and predictable (they’re basically all the same script) but I love them! I even watched the entire ‘thanks for your service, Cody’ military propaganda one and kind of enjoyed it.

I've never seen a Hallmark Christmas movie... :eek:

Loughc wrote: »

If you’ve watched a movie on Christmas 24 with any of the following, chances are you have:

Woman trapped with mean boss because of snow. They fall in love.

Woman trapped with ex boyfriend because of snow. They fall in love.

Woman visits hometown for first time in years. Helps plan Christmas event. Burly local tree surgeon helps. They fall in love.

Woman sits next to cranky stranger on plane. Flight is diverted because of snow. They end up in same B&B. They fall in love.

Woman enters Christmas themed competition usually involving baking or ice sculpture. Local hottie helps. They fall in love.

And finally, anything starting the PenaVegas, Lacey Chabert or Candace Cameron-Bure, particularly if they fall in love with someone.

I could go on and on but I have a job. :pac:

If you’ve watched a movie on Christmas 24 with any of the following, chances are you have:

I've never watched anything on Christmas 24 either :eek:

I've never watched anything on Christmas 24 either :eek:

Hand in your Christmas forum modship immediately. :eek:

They have a word for you Hallmark movies 'commie'. Just kidding. Some are so bad that they are good. Like the remake of the wickerman with Nick cage.

Hand in your Christmas forum modship immediately. :eek:

2wna6ub.jpg

I’m keeping the gun....

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »
    They have a word for you Hallmark movies 'commie'. Just kidding. Some are so bad that they are good. Like the remake of the wickerman with Nick cage.

Some of them are like the first Sharknado. Others are like the 5th Sharknado.

Advertisement