Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EU261 compensation discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

paddy19 wrote: »
    Unlikely to get refund, non EU carrier and flight outside EU. No harm in double checking with one of the chasers. Fees are substantial.

If you don't have the time to put the effort into chasing up a claim you might as well engage one of these companies to do it for you.
    Even if they took 100% of the compensation it would be better than the airline pocketing it by giving you the runaround. A lot of these airlines bank on the fact that most people won't go to the trouble of following up on a denied claim, I'd sooner the money went to charity than into their coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

Anyone any experience with compensation for downgrade of seat.

Bought €35 seats in two seat configuration, was plonked into a 3 seat configuration cheaper seat, no apology, no alternative, no compensation.

The Eu regulation talks about downgrade of class but not seat.

Given that Airlines are not charging up to €100 for a seat, class seems a bit out date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

It is not a EU 261 matter.

They have themselves covered where they can change seat assignments without compensation.

It is not a EU 261 matter.

They have themselves covered where they can change seat assignments without compensation.

Why is not an EU261 matter?

The whole basis for EU261 is that it overrides the "we can do whatever we like" clauses in the airline contracts.

EU261 was implemented because Airlines messed consumers around with the impunity of contract clauses.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why is not an EU261 matter?

Because as you've already found out, seat location is not a covered factor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

If you email them there's a decent chance they'll refund if you paid specifically. I tweeted Aer Lingus after a flight home where the plane was changed last minute, so the exit row seats we'd paid for were a different row from us. Got the money back in my account a week later.

L1011 wrote: »
    Because as you've already found out, seat location is not a covered factor.

I haven't already found out anything yet.
    The airline claimed it was due to a last minute change which I doubt based on flight aware data.

What's the basis for saying it's not a covered factor?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I haven't already found out anything yet.
    The airline claimed it was due to a last minute change which I doubt based on flight aware data.

What's the basis for saying it's not a covered factor?

Because its not in the list of those that are.

This is quite simple. You should be able to ask for a refund of the extra fee but you are not getting compensation.

"Because its not in the list of those that are."

What list?

Can you give us a web reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

"Because its not in the list of those that are."

What list?

Can you give us a web reference?
    Try search for EU regulation 261 of 2004.

This Regulation establishes, under the conditions specified
    herein, minimum rights for passengers when:
    (a) they are denied boarding against their will;
    (b) their flight is cancelled;
    (c) their flight is delayed.

Anyone any experience with compensation for downgrade of seat

Your seat was changed.

• Advertisement

"Try search for EU regulation 261 of 2004."

Nobody likes a smart ass, AnRothar, and particularly an ill informed smart ass.

Eu261 Article 10

Upgrading and downgrading

2.If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3),reimburse

The Irish Citizen Information site refers to:
    "Upgrading and downgrading seats"

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/air_travel/compensation_for_overbooked_and_delayed_flights.html

L1011 referred to a list. So I asked for a web reference?

Given that Etihad are charging €99 for a bulk head seat it is reasonable to question what "Class" means in the legal EU261 sense.

Is there any history or case law on this issue?

Citizens Information is a simplified interpretation. The regulations, which you had made it clear you found in your first post, specify class only.

You are not entitled to compensation. There's no history or case law as its clear cut.

Ask for the seat reservation fee back.

"There's no history or case law as its clear cut."

You are clearly not a lawyer L1011!

The law is never clear until a court interprets the regulation.
    When a case is heard then we know what the wording actually means.

The law is full of cases where legislators thought it was clear until the court
    found otherwise.

You can be the first. ;)

"There's no history or case law as its clear cut."

You are clearly not a lawyer L1011!

The law is never clear until a court interprets the regulation.
    When a case is heard then we know what the wording actually means.

The law is full of cases where legislators thought it was clear until the court
    found otherwise.

Try find a lawyer to take a case based on there being absolutely no mention of what you want in the regulations.

Indeed, go find a lawyer. Stop posting here

This is not Legal Discussions and your posting is now wildly off topic.

Seriously - stop posting. That was a mod instruction

You do not qualify for 261 compensation and hence are entirely off topic.

Post again and you'll get carded

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Hi All
    I flew on finnair BKK-HEL-DUB on April 23rd

The BKK flight was late boarding and then the pilot said we were no. 30 in the take off queue as the airport was very busy. We took off 1 hour late and had to fly a slightly longer route due to Pakistan airspace closure. Subsequently we arrived into HEL 1 hour late and my connecting flight had already departed.

Finnair booked me on to the next available flight (next day) and put me up in a hotel for the night
    In the end arrival home at 09.30 on 24/04 instead of 17.30 on 23/04
    So overall delay was 16 hours

Any thoughts on whether this case would be EC 261 eligible?
    Thanks In Advance!

"Subsequently we arrived into HEL 1 hour late and my connecting flight had already departed."

As you've probably guessed, this doesn't look like a runner under EU261.

You need a minimum of a 3 hour delay for compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

You need a minimum of a 3 hour delay for compensation.
    But my overall delay was 16 hours due to the missed connection, both flights were on the same PNR

OK fair point.

Min Connection time at HEL seems to be 35 minutes so your ok there.

First question, was your flight from BKK to Hel with an EU airline?

The "Pakistan airspace closure" is going to make compensation very difficult.

• Advertisement

The whole Pakistani airspace thingy is a red herring.

Lets look at the ideal route:
    http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bkk-hel
    aI67ve8.jpg
    The perfect route does not cross Pakistani airspace.

Here is the actual route the flight took on Apr 23.
    DxiNgkY.jpg

They have been taking a more northerly route over Mongolia for the last week or so.

This is on Finnair, no one else.

Feckin hell that is a long way from Pakistan!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 expatin africa

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me this. Was travelling from Lego's nigeria to cork Ireland on the night of the 26/04/2019, boarded and took the flight to Amsterdam but when went to the gate in schipol for the Saturday morning flight to cork they said i was now on standby and would have to stay in Amsterdam and not get a flight till Sunday night,
    There was a canceled flight to Cork Friday night and they put some of those passagers on our flight and we had to stay. This happened me and my wife and about 6 other people, we were all on klm transit flights with some from coming from austrailia
    The flight was with klm with aer lingus doing the cork run.
    We got a hotel. For free and they say we will get 250e.
    Just wondering if thats all i am entitled to

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You shouldn't be getting €250, you're only entitled to Hotels, food, transport and communication, not compensation, as the Aer Lingus flight was cancelled due to weather conditions (Storm Hannah)

It seems unlikely that the airline is offering €1,500 (€250 x 6) to passengers who are not entitled to it.

In my experience most airlines are reluctant to produce the loot even when you are definitely entitled to it.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You shouldn't be getting €250, you're only entitled to Hotels, food, transport and communication, not compensation, as the Aer Lingus flight was cancelled due to weather conditions (Storm Hannah)

But my flight wasn't canceled my flight went ahead on the Saturday morning. They but some of the people from the cancled Friday night flight on it and put us on standby

It seems unlikely that the airline is offering €1,500 (€250 x 6) to passengers who are not entitled to it.

In my experience most airlines are reluctant to produce the loot even when you are definitely entitled to it.

Sorry but dont understand why we were not entitled to it. Had a ticket booked 3 months ago from lagos to cork through Amsterdam checked in fine Friday night and took the first flight fine, then Saturday morning in Amsterdam our flight to cork took off, but our seats were giving to the people who's flights were canceled on Friday night and they said we were on standby for flight we had our boarding pass for through klm in lagos

If that is the case you are owed the full amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm getting very confused by what you're saying, however what I do know is that the Friday flight from Amsterdam to Cork was cancelled due to Storm Hannah, hence no compensation is owed.

• Advertisement

But the person was not on that flight. Their flight was on Saturday which operated without them.

Their flight Saturday morning from AMS operated but they were bumped in favour of delayed pax from the night before.

Advertisement