Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wexford GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I said it in the hurling championship thread earlier in the week, and I do think its valid, that the assumption in some quarters is that Kilkenny's forwards have the potential to let rip in Croker.

Well I would contest that ours are equally as likely. Three of our starting forwards scored at least twice from play the last day (Rory O, Morris, Mac), as did Jacko when he came on, and that's not even mentioning Dee's contribution further back. Whereas Mullen and Fennelly were the only KK players to score more than once from open play.

Okay Reid shouldn't be as subdued again, but it could be argued that Dunbar has the potential to burn the ground in Croker, and Chin is capable of putting in a tour-de-force in scoring as well. Our bench had a bigger impact the last day too- Nolan will be a loss in this regard.

Anyway, for the first time in my lifetime (more or less), I travel up to a Leinster final vs the Cats optimistic that we can do it, rather than praying Henry doesn't tear us asunder. And that right there is the Davy Factor working wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

Gonna be a tough game, We don’t have much pace in the half back line so we have to crowd the area but this leaves us short up front,so McDonald spends his day chasing lost causes. Wish We had a more direct game plan as McDonald is as good a forward as there is in the game but no man can get the better of 2 defenders. If we keep goals out but we will need to score some to win. Kilkenny will stay in the game if they are playing bad and will play to the 75th minute. Keeping Fennelly and Reid quiet in Croker will be tough but will also determine who wins at the end. We need to take any scores that come our way and can’t afford to put up a huge wide count. Last of all we need to sort our puckouts,they are a disaster. Don’t think for a second that KK won’t exploit them. KK full back line are vulnerable I think.Will like to see Dunbar using the wide open spaces and see what he can do,bucketloads of pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Best of luck to the yellow bellies on sunday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Congrats lads. The classiest supporters I've come across. Hope ye go all the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fantastic win for ye today lads, deserved victory, Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done lads great win , forwards on fire , mighty stuff

ye do know ye can keep him if ye want!! ...:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Great win!! Can hardly talk today!!
    Up Wexford!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The scenes in Gorey last night were like what I imagine it's like if Boca Juniors or some other huge South American team won the Copa Libratadores. Amazing atmosphere that I will never forget.

I was struck by the delight of the scores of young children at the match- they must think winning is second nature to Wexford and are too young to remember the years of heartbreak.

Proud of each and every one of those lads on the pitch yesterday, particularly with the composure they showed in not panicing when holding on to the lead at the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Great win yesterday. Enjoy the celebrations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It is only the Leinster title. A lot of hurling to be played yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

The legend that is Liam Griffin talks about the Leinster win & all the work that has gone into promoting hurling in Wexford. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua5cpyerzaU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

What a win, what an atmosphere, and I'm old enough to remember '96/97 ! Fair play to the 12 lads who made the trip down to Clare to encourage Davy to hang in for another year. I was at the Clare game last year and it was probably the worst Championship game played in 2018, some turn-around.
    I fancy our chances to make the All Ireland, the Dubs will be hard to beat tho ;)

What a win, what an atmosphere, and I'm old enough to remember '96/97 ! Fair play to the 12 lads who made the trip down to Clare to encourage Davy to hang in for another year. I was at the Clare game last year and it was probably the worst Championship game played in 2018, some turn-around.

I fancy our chances to make the All Ireland, the Dubs will be hard to beat tho ;)
    Its as open a year as we have had for a long time. I wonder if it is an advantage to go straight to a semi final rather than have a quarter final.
    I'm not going to take the bait about Dublin. Eddie Brennan might have his lads cause an upset yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Edgware wrote: »

I'd say you're great craic at parties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

This is a weird narrative that's being peddled by some.

They're dead right to enjoy their moment.

There's four weeks until the semi final, they can go nuts for a week and still have three weeks to knuckle down and prepare for the semi final.

Its as open a year as we have had for a long time. I wonder if it is an advantage to go straight to a semi final rather than have a quarter final.
    I'm not going to take the bait about Dublin. Eddie Brennan might have his lads cause an upset yet

I reckon straight to a semi has to be an advantage, ie. momentum, croke-park experience, winning confidence, un-beaten, time off to build up to the game, no chance of another game introducing injuries/fatigue/red-cards. You're only 1 game away from a final appearance.
    Obviously Tipp will look to the positives about their scenario, ignore the last game (off-day) and bounce back against Dublin(or Laois). How good are Dublin tho, that's the interesting Q !
    I also think Leinster hurling has made great strides this year, how many teams in Munster would fear playing > Galway/KK/Wex/Dublin and with Carlow/Laois/Westmeath making steady progress as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Nic_Col wrote: »

This is a weird narrative that's being peddled by some.

They're dead right to enjoy their moment.

There's four weeks until the semi final, they can go nuts for a week and still have three weeks to knuckle down and prepare for the semi final.

Generally peddled by very jealous people.

How many counties around Ireland would give anything to win a provincial in football or hurling??

Enjoy every single minute of it.

Wexford will be ready for the semi final, have no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

conor05 wrote: »

How many counties around Ireland would give anything to win a provincial in football or hurling??

Ignore him and saviour every single minute of it. As a Clareman I've been lucky to savour 3 Munster and 3 All Ireland homecomings - there were thousands of Clare people that got to see none for 60 odd years before that though. They are special moments.

conor05 wrote: »

Fully agree, I was in Wexford Park last night and it was great for all the kids that were there, they now have hurling hero's to look to and to try to aspire to be like. And that cant be a bad thing.

Davy said last night that they would be back training on Thursday.

Let them have a few days celebrating and back at it hungry for even more silverware!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Congrats from a Dub.

Completely right to celebrate the win on Sunday, and give people the chance to get together with the players.

Some people nearly expect lads to apologise when they win something.

conf101 wrote: »
    I'd say you're great craic at parties
    Do you enjoy your day trips out with Nurse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Do you enjoy your day trips out with Nurse?

Say what now?

Wow, Dublin were bad, you'd have to blame the management for not having their team fit & ready to tear Laois apart, instead it was the other way round, Laois tore into Dublin & even when Dublin drew level they pushed on for the win, impressive.

Big things were expected from Dublin and they let themselves down badly, weird!
    I'd imagine if Dublin could have sneaked a win then they would have improved for the Tipp game but now Tipp are in the driving seat and are playing a Laois team who have played 2 hard games on the trot. They'll surely buckle under the pressure, I hope not though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RiCriostoir

Have to say the U20 Hurlers were unlucky against Kilkenny to not get the three Leinster titles. The Kilkenny goal made the difference, as it has Wexford trailing, but Wexford were unlucky not to get the two goals in the first half. Some great talent shown by the young lads even in bad weather between both teams.

Have to say the U20 Hurlers were unlucky against Kilkenny to not get the three Leinster titles. The Kilkenny goal made the difference, as it has Wexford trailing, but Wexford were unlucky not to get the two goals in the first half. Some great talent shown by the young lads even in bad weather between both teams.

Very unlucky not to get the win, especially with Ross Banville going off injured. There was a few frees near the end he could have pointed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Big Vern wrote: »
    Very unlucky not to get the win, especially with Ross Banville going off injured. There was a few frees near the end he could have pointed.

I thought they were poor enough to be honest. I thought their work rate, particularly in the first half was really poor. Letting KK walk the ball out to the midfield and hit in lovely cross field passes inside unchallenged. I dont think we were unlucky at all, I thought Kilkenny were a long way ahead of us. Missed a load of chances and were not at all clinical enough. Any time we posed a challenge, KK went down and scored. there was no free Banville missed when he went off injured, we had one on the 21 that was pointed and then a 65 which was played short for a handy scoring shot that was drove wide. Tactics I thought were poor. Sitting back deep and not pushing up at all. It improved somewhat in the second half, but I think the Munster champions will give us a trimming in the semi final.

All not lost though, the minors and seniors have great chances of an AI final.

bruschi wrote: »
    I thought they were poor enough to be honest. I thought their work rate, particularly in the first half was really poor. Letting KK walk the ball out to the midfield and hit in lovely cross field passes inside unchallenged. I dont think we were unlucky at all, I thought Kilkenny were a long way ahead of us. Missed a load of chances and were not at all clinical enough. Any time we posed a challenge, KK went down and scored. there was no free Banville missed when he went off injured, we had one on the 21 that was pointed and then a 65 which was played short for a handy scoring shot that was drove wide. Tactics I thought were poor. Sitting back deep and not pushing up at all. It improved somewhat in the second half, but I think the Munster champions will give us a trimming in the semi final.

All not lost though, the minors and seniors have great chances of an AI final.

Thought sure there was a few frees missed, i stand corrected!
    No doubt KK were the better team and Wex made the wrong decisions at time. Just thought Wex were right in the game up to the end and been a bit cleverer could have sneaked a win! But wasnt to be.

As you say minors and seniors have great chances and its great to be talking like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Best of luck lads. I'll be there cheering you on as a neutral.

Advertisement