Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Assistant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭randombar

thinking im going to nuke my HA install tonight and dockerize the whole thing as per

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/895iw6/my_home_assistant_setup_rpi_3b_docker_compose/

Any reason I shouldnt go the docker route?

Are you planning on running other things on the pi besides home assistant? Just wondering is there any need if it's only running ha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Are you planning on running other things on the pi besides home assistant? Just wondering is there any need if it's only running ha

currently have HA, node red, pi-hole, pi-vpn, and organizr running on it.

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

thinking im going to nuke my HA install tonight and dockerize the whole thing as per

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/895iw6/my_home_assistant_setup_rpi_3b_docker_compose/

Any reason I shouldnt go the docker route?

Neat. I just went the simple docker route and exposed ports for influxdb and a volume for letsencrypt.

docker should make life easier to update things I guess. Major PITA for me was upgrading hass itself. Last time I needed to update python and somehow or another I nuked my mini pc (kernal panic). I started from scratch and got Hass (dockerised), influxdb, letsencrypt all setup in an evening.

currently have HA, node red, pi-hole, pi-vpn, and organizr running on it.

Sees Organizr github page
    Adds to list

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'm f##king done with raspberry pi for HA.
    On my 3rd on now, just got the model 3B+ and none of them can hold a power supply. Have 2 official pi chargers, and have tested them (and other phone chargers) and have confirmed 5.28v on both the pi chargers, yet the boards won't power up. The previous model B, did have a sporadic green power light but the new board is solid red. This is all without any card, ether etc cable or any accessories plugged in when powering up.
    I know the power requirements are tight on the boards, especially the new model, but a 5.28v official charger should be able to run it.
    Anyone else run into similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭THE ALM

paulbok wrote: »
    I'm f##king done with raspberry pi for HA.
    On my 3rd on now, just got the model 3B+ and none of them can hold a power supply. Have 2 official pi chargers, and have tested them (and other phone chargers) and have confirmed 5.28v on both the pi chargers, yet the boards won't power up. The previous model B, did have a sporadic green power light but the new board is solid red. This is all without any card, ether etc cable or any accessories plugged in when powering up.
    I know the power requirements are tight on the boards, especially the new model, but a 5.28v official charger should be able to run it.
    Anyone else run into similar?

I have three all with no problems. An original model 1b with a hifiberry digi plugged into an old amp that runs away happily using an old phone charger, a rpi3 running openelec which i got as a kit with the official rpi charger and another rpi3 running hass both running away 24/7.

I've a RPi3b+ which arrived with USB ports not working. Seems it's common enough. Shorted a chip on the board and they're working now.

Has their quality control dipped?

I've a RPi3b+ which arrived with USB ports not working. Seems it's common enough. Shorted a chip on the board and they're working now.

Has their quality control dipped?

Based on the 3 I got from different suppliers on Amazon, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I'm struggling to get Zoneminder component working. Has anyone here had success. It seems to be an ssl error relating to the self signed cert. Anyone know a way of forcing Home Assistant to accept the self signed cert?

I got zoneminder sorted by getting a letsencrypt signed cert

I have a pretty decent setup going now. I moved to completely open source over the last few weeks. I'm running everything in docker on a HP Proliant micro server. Zoneminder is on its own 1u Dell r210 quad core blade. Both servers are running Centos.

So far I have integrated the following in HA:

Zoneminder cameras
    Ring doorbell
    Hue lights and sensors
    Netatmo thermostat
    Weather underground
    Device monitor using SNMP from my Mikrotik router
    Google home, Chromecasts and Nvidia shield
    Logitech Harmony hubs x2 (created inputs for activities)
    Enigma satellite boxes x2 (shows what's currently being viewed)
    Netdata stats from my 2 local servers
    Pihole sensors
    Node red (not done anything with it yet)
    Plex sensors (I'm not pulling in entities which is bugging me, yet to figure). Remote Plex (Hetzner quad core running CentOS)
    Tautulli sensors (formerly plexpy)
    Nzbget, radarr and sonarr stats from my remote server

Now to design some fun automation......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭THE ALM

For those running hass and using ubiquiti ap's etc. there is now an addon that installs the unifi controller software within hass. Currently have it setup on an rpi3 running hass.io.

Great to be able to run it on the rpi as previously I had to bring home a laptop to check any settings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭randombar

I got zoneminder sorted by getting a letsencrypt signed cert

I have a pretty decent setup going now. I moved to completely open source over the last few weeks. I'm running everything in docker on a HP Proliant micro server. Zoneminder is on its own 1u Dell r210 quad core blade. Both servers are running Centos.

So far I have integrated the following in HA:

Zoneminder cameras
    Ring doorbell
    Hue lights and sensors
    Netatmo thermostat
    Weather underground
    Device monitor using SNMP from my Mikrotik router
    Google home, Chromecasts and Nvidia shield
    Logitech Harmony hubs x2 (created inputs for activities)
    Enigma satellite boxes x2 (shows what's currently being viewed)
    Netdata stats from my 2 local servers
    Pihole sensors
    Node red (not done anything with it yet)
    Plex sensors (I'm not pulling in entities which is bugging me, yet to figure). Remote Plex (Hetzner quad core running CentOS)
    Tautulli sensors (formerly plexpy)
    Nzbget, radarr and sonarr stats from my remote server

Now to design some fun automation......

How did you get on with docker? Are you running hass.io through it?

Finding that there are libraries etc. for hass.io that need a bit more setting up on standard ubuntu.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    How did you get on with docker? Are you running hass.io through it?

Finding that there are libraries etc. for hass.io that need a bit more setting up on standard ubuntu.

Yes, I'm running the full Home Assistant and doing everything through configs. My docker host runs CentOS so everything I'm doing is over FTP and SSH.

https://hub.docker.com/r/homeassistant/home-assistant/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Anyone muddling around with Lovelace? It's great, finally an approach that seperates the device configuration from the UI completely. Changes can be seamlessly done in UI, and custom card integration is very straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Hi guys - how are you all handling the database file size?

I'm running Hassbian on a Raspberry Pi and the database file gradually grows larger and larger and if I don't remember to manually delete it every now and then it'll eventually clog up the Pi and prevent the whole thing from starting up. I've tried the "recorder.purge" service on the main page but it never seems to work!

My ideal situation would be to export a limited amount of data for long term storage to some cloud location and delete the rest after approximately a week. I would settle for auto-deleting anything over a week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

do you have a
    recorder:

entry in your configuration file?

/edit, I mention this, as I had gone through and trimmed back all the bits I thought I wouldnt need. Turns out, the recorder: entity has defaults set for purging the db after x amount of days uptime etc. And by removing it from my config, the db only ever went one way... may have changed, going back a good while
    This may not be the case for you if you have a recorder.purge option in your admin panel. If you do run that, you can try running it with the repack option ({'repack':'yes'} json payload iirc)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

Hi guys - how are you all handling the database file size?

I'm running Hassbian on a Raspberry Pi and the database file gradually grows larger and larger and if I don't remember to manually delete it every now and then it'll eventually clog up the Pi and prevent the whole thing from starting up. I've tried the "recorder.purge" service on the main page but it never seems to work!

My ideal situation would be to export a limited amount of data for long term storage to some cloud location and delete the rest after approximately a week. I would settle for auto-deleting anything over a week though.

Just setup a cronjob to delete files over a certain date

You will need t check the correct syntax here, i deal with unix rather then linux.

But do something like

crontab -e
    then add for the time you want to run it.
    and add someting like the below
    find '/HA/logs/log*' -mtime +30 -type f -delete

That would delete all files in the /HA/logs/ older then 31 days.

and for cron times http://www.adminschoice.com/crontab-quick-reference

Hope that help

Thanks guys. I will have a go at both of these to see can I sort something out.

Just to update this.

I had commented out the "recorder:" function in the config file.

Since I have reinstated it the database has stayed at a constant size.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

If you want to keep more data you can export to an influxdb instance running somewhere else on your network. You could then use grafana to help visualise things

• Advertisement

Thanks matrim.

That's on the medium term plan. Considering switching from the Pi to a NUC also - in which case the influxdb could probably reside on that.

Thanks matrim.

That's on the medium term plan. Considering switching from the Pi to a NUC also - in which case the influxdb could probably reside on that.

Scope out Adverts and Donedeal for them. That's where I got mine from. It was a few gens old but i've no intentions of playing minecraft or anything on it so 8GB of ram and a 80GB hdd was plenty for its purpose. InfluxDB here, home assistant there, some motion detection cameras over there. Oh, and plex too.

IMO, run what you can in docker, makes everything a lot simpler. Upgrading HA was always a PITA for me, and never went smoothly on my Pi (or pre using docker on the nuc). Now with docker its like 4 commands, and easy to roll back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

For getting Home Assistant up and running at home is something like this what people would recommend?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BR61P39/

keane2097 wrote: »
    For getting Home Assistant up and running at home is something like this what people would recommend?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BR61P39/

On the face of it, to me it seems expensive. €70 for what should be a cheap cheap mini PC. I used a Pi2 for a while to run Home Assistant (it was an old one I had lying around), but ended up upgrading to a NUC because the Pi keep dieing/needing a hard reset.

Pi costs ~€30-€35, HDMI for €5, SD card €10, Power supply €5
    That's really all you'd need to get going. Aliexpress for a cheap case if you want (€1-2).

I'd only hesitate because of my experience with HA on a Pi, but others might have better experiences with a Pi3.

Have you and old laptop you could try it out on? IMO, go the cheapest route you can, and if you like it/use it lots, upgrade to the best option you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

On the face of it, to me it seems expensive. €70 for what should be a cheap cheap mini PC. I used a Pi2 for a while to run Home Assistant (it was an old one I had lying around), but ended up upgrading to a NUC because the Pi keep dieing/needing a hard reset.

Pi costs ~€30-€35, HDMI for €5, SD card €10, Power supply €5
    That's really all you'd need to get going. Aliexpress for a cheap case if you want (€1-2).

I'd only hesitate because of my experience with HA on a Pi, but others might have better experiences with a Pi3.

Have you and old laptop you could try it out on? IMO, go the cheapest route you can, and if you like it/use it lots, upgrade to the best option you can.

There is an old laptop lying around but it's an absolute pig. Maybe I can try that first regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭b.gud

What's the NUC like in terms of power consumption compared to the PI?

After 2 year's of fluting around, I finally started getting HA up and running correctly, got my first automation to run last night.
    Loads to setup yet and still have a couple of components to bring in.
    Has anyone brought in a Philips hue motion sensor? Haven't found a guide to this I can easily follow.

Also have 2 issues with a z-wave stick.
    First is pairing problem with an Aeotec dimmer module but I believe this can take many many attempts to pair.

The bigger issue is although the stick is always in the same USB slot, it is read by Linux differently if it's powered off or even if HA is rebooted. I've set up a rule to map the USB stick serial number each time but to no avail.
    Did anyone else have this problem?

paulbok wrote: »
    After 2 year's of fluting around, I finally started getting HA up and running correctly, got my first automation to run last night.
    Loads to setup yet and still have a couple of components to bring in.
    Has anyone brought in a Philips hue motion sensor? Haven't found a guide to this I can easily follow.

Also have 2 issues with a z-wave stick.
    First is pairing problem with an Aeotec dimmer module but I believe this can take many many attempts to pair.

The bigger issue is although the stick is always in the same USB slot, it is read by Linux differently if it's powered off or even if HA is rebooted. I've set up a rule to map the USB stick serial number each time but to no avail.
    Did anyone else have this problem?

Yup. Got my motion sensors in HA.
    Here's my HA config:
    https://github.com/matthewbyrne/homeassistant/blob/master/packages/sensors.yaml#L56

But here's the guide that should help you find those URLs:
    https://community.home-assistant.io/t/tutorial-adding-hue-motion-sensor-lux-temp-and-motion/5532

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

you set up the zwave - usb binding using udev rules?

• Advertisement

Cheers for that.
    I've run the Get command for /api/key/sensors but I'm getting a long unique ID for lux & temp sensors, eg, [PHP]"uniqueid": "**:**:**:**:**:01:81:90-02-0406",[/PHP], the motion sensor has a text string for the id.
    Is there another step to getting a short id like you have eg 22?

Advertisement