Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GRO Records

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...The way the image digitisation was done makes it unnecessarily difficult (but not impossible) to reconstruct the local registrars’ records...

Hmm...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Leave him a comment and ask him to elaborate?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Of course. Why didn't I think of that! :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suspect he means its difficult to just flick through the images in order to cherry-pick records for an individual area; as many local genealogists would want to do.

I figured it out. To get to the next page is just a matter of adding one to the number at the end of the URL.
    The difficulty was finding a death on the same page or a close page which didn't take to long going through the indexes at Family Search.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Hermy wrote: »
    A shame the pdf's aren't done the same way as the church records at the same site where you have the facility to turn a page so to speak.

Actually it's a complete mystery to me the difference between searching the two sets of records.

This was my exact thought yesterday when I couldn't find a birth record that should be there. It would be great to be able to trawl through the pages. I've spent many a happy hour doing that with the books in the Register's office here in Cork and uncovered a few unknown ancestors along the way.

However, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth as I've had great success so far with these new records.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

A shame the pdf's aren't done the same way as the church records at the same site where you have the facility to turn a page so to speak......

just add or subtract 1 from page number in the url

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The ability to go through every cert of tens/hundreds of options without needing to file for personal insolvency has given me two g-g-g-grandfather's names; and ruined the chances of getting one of their wifes - the marriage cert shows that my g-g-grandmother was a lot older than the census led me to believe and hence pre-1864.

When I click to view the image for Catherine Coulter who died 1898 in Dublin SOuth I get an image for Dundalk deaths.
    Is there a way of navigating to the correct image?

correct image link for death of Catherine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

L1011 wrote: »
    They have never announced the existing work (matching/maiden names) in the past, so I imagine the images will be the same - put up when done.

Do you mean that they will add image links as and when they do them over the next 18 months or so?
    So we should keep an eye on the website for updates?
    Or that none of the outstanding images will be available until they're all done?

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Do you mean that they will add image links as and when they do them over the next 18 months or so?
    So we should keep an eye on the website for updates?
    Or that none of the outstanding images will be available until they're all done?

I would imagine they'll be updated when done.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

I note that none of the pre 1864 births are up (1845 - 1863) apart form a few.
    And those few don't have images - apart from the last one which is a mistake, 1857 instead of 1867.

IxGjGh1.png

I note that none of the pre 1864 births are up (1845 - 1863) apart form a few.
    And those few don't have images - apart from the last one which is a mistake, 1857 instead of 1867...

???? - registration of births started in 1864 - the only pre-1864 civil records are non-Catholic marriages.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

shanew wrote: »
    ???? - registration of births started in 1864 - the only pre-1864 civil records are non-Catholic marriages.

oh right, never had reason to look at records before 1864, but had read that registration begin in 1845 for non Catholics - didn't know it was just for marriages.

I'm now wondering how those births appear in the registers at all - possibly late registration allowed for people before the beginning of the official period?

Genealogy Forum Mod

presumably meant to be after abt 1900, since that's when the mother's maiden surname is indexed ?

oh right, never had reason to look at records before 1864, but had read that registration begin in 1845 for non Catholics - didn't know it was just for marriages.

It's not always phrased the best, you're not the first to read that way..

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

Does anyone know if there is a trick for finding an entry if the image links to a blank page? For example, at this link: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/f117b00988003 , the image is blank. I have tried looking several pages before and after the linked page, but still no luck. This is in the Superintendent Registrar's District of Galway Union, the Registrar's District of Turloughmore in Co. Galway BTW. Thanks.

it depends - in this case the old style index shows that birth as page 254. The image link shows page 256, the previous image shows page 253 - looks like there may be pages missing

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

shanew wrote: »
    it depends - in this case the old style index shows that birth as page 254. The image link shows page 256, the previous image shows page 253 - looks like there may be pages missing

Thanks Shane, I didn't notice the page numbers printed on the pages. They will come in very handy with determining what is and isn't online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Rox_88

I've just found 65 births and 4 deaths under the registration district "Not Applicable" does anyone know what they are or why they're there? There doesn't seem to be images attached to any of them.

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

picking one of those 65 to check - the Patrick Doodican born 1871 and cross-checking for entries on the extracted civil births shows this, dob 10th March 1871 parents Michael Doodican & Margaret Horan, mother's surname matches the index. The extracted record shows refs. of v 4-2 p 626, which matches this index record in Swinford Registration District

I just called Roscommon to check on an order (1920s births) as it's over a week since it was sent in.

They report that a quite a few orders have been cancelled in the past week: I guess people weren't keeping an eye on Claire's blog and didn't know in advance!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Happy today - I've spent the last few years trying to find my great grandmother. She married for a second time between 1901 and 1911, but my dad couldn't remember the name of her second husband. I didn't know which surname she used on the second marriage, but since both her father's surname and first husband's surname were fairly common I was stuck with the prospect of buying 20-30 records to find her. Last night, I trawled through about 8 records and bingo, there she was. From that I found her in the 1911 census with her new husband, and then her death from influenza in 1919...

thank you Irishgenealogy!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

A quick query from an inexperienced amateur.

My great grandfather committed suicide in the mid 1880's.

I cannot trace his death record.

Would there be a reason for that linked to the reason for his death?

No, his death should still be registered.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

A quick query from an inexperienced amateur.

My great grandfather committed suicide in the mid 1880's.

I cannot trace his death record.

Would there be a reason for that linked to the reason for his death?

Would his death have been registered in the RD where the autopsy was carried out instead of where he actually died?

a couple of things to try if you cant find an image

if the entry is on the GRO Index and has a link which shows an incorrect page, but the registration district at the top of the page is correct, then check the page number, usually top left or right, and see if it matches the page on the same entry on the old style index on FamilySearch (or Anc/FMP). If the page is incorrect, calculate the difference and alter the last section of the URL to try to locate the correct page.

If the district is incorrect (like the Coulter record mentioned previously), find the old style entry for the record in question, then look for other records of the same type in the same district and quarter (or year if before 1878) and locate these on the GRO Index to see if the image links are correct (and ideally the page number is close..), 'scroll' back or forwards to the required page. The same technique can help locate records that are not on the GRO index,but do show on the FamilySearch index - e.g. a birth in my tree from 1889.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

KildareFan wrote: »
    Happy today - I've spent the last few years trying to find my great grandmother. She married for a second time between 1901 and 1911, but my dad couldn't remember the name of her second husband. I didn't know which surname she used on the second marriage, but since both her father's surname and first husband's surname were fairly common I was stuck with the prospect of buying 20-30 records to find her. Last night, I trawled through about 8 records and bingo, there she was. From that I found her in the 1911 census with her new husband, and then her death from influenza in 1919...

thank you Irishgenealogy!

It's lucky she remarried in Ireland. In my case, my g.mother remarried in the UK, even with the help of Ancestry and FindmyPast, even having purchased several wrong expensive records from UK, I still have not found her second marriage. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

Is the updating records on going as there is still a lot a records with no image yet?

Advertisement