Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

• 20-03-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Hi has anyone booked fast track for Dublin airport?

Just wouldering is it worth it I think it's only something like 6 euro.

When I looked online you have to select an entry time and choose from 15 minute segments eg 1, 1:15, 1:30... Is the time I pick set in stone as I'm not sure what exact time I will be going through.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

It can be worth it depending on what time and what terminal your going through

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

I booked last year and there was no time constraints, I went for the 20 euro option which included access to the DAA lounge and I thought it was well worth it, my flight was quite early so the security queue was quite short anyway but you do get a free coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I booked last year and there was no time constraints, I went for the 20 euro option which included access to the DAA lounge and I thought it was well worth it, my flight was quite early so the security queue was quite short anyway but you do get a free coffee.

Lounge access is no longer included for €20, you have to pay €20 for the lounge and extra for fast track security.

Last week I was in T1 around 9.30am and there was NO queue for security, walked straight up to a belt. Had never happened before. Fast track is worth it between 5-8am IMO and at peak times.Not sure it's necessary at this time of year at other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

Hi thanks for the replies. I'm traveling in June for a flight at 15:40 so It would probably be a peek time when going through security

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I think once your flight isn't leaving any time near either side of the US or Middle East bound flights you should be safe enough... If you want to play it safe give yourself plenty of time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

sorry to bump this.

Parents getting an AerLingus flight to Rome at the end of September. 6.30am departure.

Fast track worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

For a 6.30am flight I probably would. It's the busiest time of the day in both terminals. Outside of these time it's often a waste of money unless you're really pressed for time. As an aside I passed through T2 the other morning at 8am for a 10.30 US flight and security was empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ItssDylannnn

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Mod note:

Temp-closed for clean-up...Similarities/cross-postings will need monitoring from here.
    Feel free to pm should you not be happy with result once re-opened.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

on this

~ New thread created for Pre-Clearance and PassportControl queries here.
    ~ I've also incl same in the Useful links thread here.
    ~ Airport Tips&Tricks to incl as stated along with baggage-drop; connecting-flights queries and terminal information [etc - along those lines]

I've seen postings about our Passport and Cruising Megathread(s)...I will look at them, but no promises.

As I said, any issues, feel free to pm.

Thread re-opened.
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

*** ~~~ ***

I was wondering if anyone on the forums would have any airport tips and tricks. I am thinking we could all put them in one forum and then people could have a place to refer to in future. The tips could be like for in the airport or on the plane.
    One tip I have is on the plane, if you have an isle seat there is a recessed button you can press. This is handy to get extra space on the isle. Although some air hostesses may ask you to put it back down for 'safety'.
    Any one else have good tips for the airport they would like to share? Lets hope we can get something good going here to help everyone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Erm.....
    Pretty sure all plane seats have a recessed button except for Ryanair ones?

Erm.....
    Pretty sure all plane seats have a recessed button except for Ryanair ones?

I have only noticed it on Ryanair planes, It is handy when your near the back rows and the air hostesses are walking up and down. When they pass you with there trolleys you have time to take over the isle when there up the plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Think about your trip before you set out. For long journeys I like to check everything in. It makes passing through the airport easier.

In the airport...

When travelling with carry-on, I have all my liquids ready in the clear bag, so I can pull it out quickly. Ditto for my laptop and iPad. Don't be the person pawing through their luggage to pull out these items, holding everyone else up.

Keep your passport and boarding docs in one consistent, easily accessible place. That way you will know exactly where they are. Make sure to get into the habit of always returning them to that place.

Buy practical luggage that you know will fit overhead and that you can open/close quickly if needed.

If you need to stop in the airport to check something, stand in out of the way. Don't stand in the middle of the corridor etc gawking at whatever you want to gawk at.

Stand right on travelators and escalators. Let people walk past without having to ask you to move.

On the plane...

Put your bag overhead quickly and stand in. Everything else can, and should, go under the seat. Don't stand in the aisle putting up your laptop bag, coat and other smaller items.

Don't try to be clever by putting your luggage up over Row 3 when in reality you're sitting in Row 15. That means the person in Row 3 will have to put their luggage further down which means they'll be going against the flow of traffic on the plane when boarding/deboarding.

Don't be a d*ck on the plane. It's a confined space where people are squeezed in like sardines. So remember that when you'd like to recline your seat on the 70 min hop to Amsterdam. IMO the only time it's acceptable to recline your seat is overnight on long haul flights.

Be polite to everyone in the airport and on the plane. They can make your life a misery if they want. And it's much nicer when everyone is polite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you have checked in luggage do not get up on arrival. Much better to sit and wait for the plane to clear and exit leisurely. You will meet those rushing off waiting at the Baggage Reclaim.

On long haul flights pack a change of clothes in your carry-on. If you have a stop over some airports have a shower that you can access. It makes things a lot more comfortable to get into some fresh clothes after being in them for a long flight.

A set of traveling Noise Cancelling Headphones is a good investment for long haul flights. They reduce the noise of the engines and makes listening to the entertainment more comfortable. They also reduce the noise when sleeping.

Print a copy of your passport in your checked in luggage as well as a photo on your phone.

Download the Apps for the various airports you will transit before your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Traditionally we always have a few jameson and gingers on the plane when going on a sun holiday ( we are not big drinkers, I hasten to add but do like to have a drink whilst reading a book on the flight!)however they are very expensive to buy on the plane so it is much cheaper to buy the multipack in the duty- free and then just buy the ginger ale on the flight.
    However if you do BYO DO NOT pour your own, before the air hostess distributes the drinks to others, and make sure he/ she does not see you pouring your own, otherwise you will be reprimanded and it can be pretty embarrassing.
    We also pack Pringles for the flight and pot noodles in case of a delay in the airport. We have had numerous delayed flights and pot noodles have always come in handy especially in airports where pizza slices can cost well over €6!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Don't call them Air Hostesses....:)

Don't call them Air Hostesses....:)

Cabin crew?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

or flight attendants :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Tickets, cash, passport check upon leaving the house.

Put some basics in your carry on in case of lost luggage problems (underwear, basic toiletries, chargers, etc.).

Some airlines like Ryanair only have room for 90 bags in the overhead bins, so if you have valuable stuff in your carry-on like photography equipment, be sure to get in the first 90 of the queue.

Does anyone know how people are at the gate so early? When I goto the airport I am there about an hour and a half early. I get through security and then I am waiting for my gate to be displayed. As soon as the gate is displayed I walk (speed walk/run) to get there first. I like to line up as soon as I get there so I am able to be one of the first on the plane. I don't bother paying for priority. I was wondering, how is there always peope at the gate when I get there. I don't see anyone in front of me when I walk to the gate but they are there. Its not a big deal, but how do people know the gate early? or am I being stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Does anyone know how people are at the gate so early? When I goto the airport I am there about an hour and a half early. I get through security and then I am waiting for my gate to be displayed. As soon as the gate is displayed I walk (speed walk/run) to get there first. I like to line up as soon as I get there so I am able to be one of the first on the plane. I don't bother paying for priority. I was wondering, how is there always peope at the gate when I get there. I don't see anyone in front of me when I walk to the gate but they are there. Its not a big deal, but how do people know the gate early? or am I being stupid?

In cases like Ryanair, who generally operate from that pier thats about 3 miles from the main terminal in Dublin, people will often walk down there before they know what gate number it is. Did that myself the last flight and was fairly early in the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Sundew wrote: »
    Traditionally we always have a few jameson and gingers on the plane when going on a sun holiday ( we are not big drinkers, I hasten to add but do like to have a drink whilst reading a book on the flight!)however they are very expensive to buy on the plane so it is much cheaper to buy the multipack in the duty- free and then just buy the ginger ale on the flight.
    However if you do BYO DO NOT pour your own, before the air hostess distributes the drinks to others, and make sure he/ she does not see you pouring your own, otherwise you will be reprimanded and it can be pretty embarrassing.
    We also pack Pringles for the flight and pot noodles in case of a delay in the airport. We have had numerous delayed flights and pot noodles have always come in handy especially in airports where pizza slices can cost well over €6!

I'm pretty drinking your own alcohol onboard is illegal and liable to be confiscated.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty drinking your own alcohol onboard is illegal and liable to be confiscated.

Think it's not allowed to bring your own popcorn and goodies in to the cinema either, but I'll be dammed if I'm paying the inflated prices there either!
    Havnt got caught smuggling popcorn in over 20 years.
    Don't intend to get caught again by "cabincrew" with my baby sample bottles of Jameson in future ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Think it's not allowed to bring your own popcorn and goodies in to the cinema either, but I'll be dammed if I'm paying the inflated prices there either!
    Don't intend to get caught again by "cabincrew" with my baby sample bottles of Jameson in future ;-)

Not judging you at all, once you're responsible then no harm. However it is illegal to consume alcohol that hasn't been served by the crew so be warned, if you're caught....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It actually is allowed to bring your own stuff into the cinema. There was a court case about it years ago iirc.

Drinking your own alcohol on board a flight is definitely not allowed.

Will have to stick to bringing porter cake in future so! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Couldn't be arsed sneak drinking on a flight to save a few euro.

If traveling with infants the Airport Genie in Dublin is worth the few quid. Fast track straight through security with no queuing.

Arrived a couple of hours before your flight in Dublin and loathe the sign that says gate displays at xx:xx time? If in Terminal 1, pop over to Terminal 2 and all the gates are displayed for Terminal 1. It works the other way around too.

It's easy to find your way between terminals once through security in Dublin. In Terminal 2, follow the signs for gates 300 up and it brings you to Terminal 1. In Terminal 1, follow the signs for gates 400 up and it brings you to Terminal 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I was trying to be diplomatic. It's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭the14thwarrior

I fly to the states a lot. most of the flights are in the a.m. most people recline their seats to be more comfortable or to sleep so I don't agree with the post about only reclining your seat on an over night flight!

I will say if you are travelling to USA, and catching a domestic flight be sure to check the screens. they often change the check in gate at the last minute (and you will be sitting at the wrong check in gate!)

you can leave the airports in the USA to pop out and have a smoke but you can come back in although you have to go through security again and you will need your boarding pass. I've often popped out (and left my luggage with my sister inside). just don't cut it too short!

don't drink the water, brush your teeth or wash your face/hands with the water in the airplane toilets. don't ask why!

the pillows and ear phones are not replaced or cleaned after each flight on a lot of airlines so don't get too close to them.

if the pilot says fasten your seatbelts be only a little bit concerned. if he tells the cabin crew to put their belts on be very concerned. !

most USA airlines don't accept cash anymore to buy drinks etc.

luggage gets thrown around a lot from baggage handlers. be careful if you put breakables in it. oh, and if you decide to bring an extra bag back from the States, most airlines will charge you and you can only do so with a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Carnacalla wrote: »
    In cases like Ryanair, who generally operate from that pier thats about 3 miles from the main terminal in Dublin, people will often walk down there before they know what gate number it is. Did that myself the last flight and was fairly early in the line.

I wouldn't do that in the morning as some Ryanair flights depart from Pier 2. It's not worth the long walk back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

some great posts.

at this stage I just have a plastic zippy bag for toiletries and have that filled with mini tootpaste, shaving foam, second razor etc, so when I pack its literally just a matter of throwing that bag, plus some tshirts/ underwear into the bag, and away I go.

If theres 1 "tip" to add to the pile here, its to throw in the passport into your hand luggage as one of the first things you pack, as thinking you will remember it "later" (at an undefined time sometime in the future) means you will be far more likely to forget it.
    Its obvious, but if theres one thing you MUST not forget its your passport (for journeys that you need a passport, obviously), so get that in your luggage before worrying about optional things like what colour of underwear you want with you.

Advertisement