Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Astral is still very much alive with all kinds of bits attached to it. Its still green screen and text in Dublin. Staff to be fair really know how to get around quickly and I doubt any replacement will be quicker. With the new website playing tricks at least Astral remains consistent. There was some fanciful plan to build a new system but I guess it will be IAG IT soon enough

For reference Astral is a knock off of IPARS, which is knock off of PARS which was built to face off against SABRE. EI made a killing with IPARS and Astral in the 60's and 70's.

It's 40 cent a PNR if you want to run your airline on Astral

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Staff to be fair really know how to get around quickly and I doubt any replacement will be quicker.

My former employer had that problem when the system they produced went from (multi coloured, admittedly) text to GUI - people who'd been using it since 1987 couldn't ever build back the speed they had.

Are there any airlines actually using it beyond EI anymore though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Kuwait was the last, not sure if they are still on it or not

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Astral is still very much alive with all kinds of bits attached to it. Its still green screen and text in Dublin. Staff to be fair really know how to get around quickly and I doubt any replacement will be quicker. ....

For reference Astral is a knock off of IPARS, which is knock off of PARS which was built to face off against SABRE. EI made a killing with IPARS and Astral in the 60's and 70's.......l
    Feck me, I hated Astal when I was in EI. Horrible system, and I'm not particularly computer literate.
    I probably still have my astral guidebook in my box of EI stuff from 10 years ago. (it was a photocopy of a photocopy....) handed down from EI staffer to staffer since the 1980's.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Anyone here have any ideas when we are going to hear about our aer club tier level?
    I got a string of emails last November/December about the change and that gold circle is closing at the end of March and we would hear 1 month before it closes but nothing heard yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eusap

I seen a post elsewhere showing the new tiers, and they are not great many unhappy travellers in the near future, the normal green card will only get you 5 entries to the lounge. It did not mention the number of points needed for each tier so that could correct the mismatch

eusap wrote: »
    I seen a post elsewhere showing the new tiers, and they are not great many unhappy travellers in the near future, the normal green card will only get you 5 entries to the lounge. It did not mention the number of points needed for each tier so that could correct the mismatch
    I was told (from an EI staffer who got a briefing on AerClub) that EI plan to reduce lounge access under the new system. Apparently this is to create "exclusivity" around the higher tiers. They are adapting a 3 tier system into 4 tiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

GC winds up on the last day of the month, so they'll have to start notifying members where they stand soon enough.

Tenger wrote: »
    I was told (from an EI staffer who got a briefing on AerClub) that EI plan to reduce lounge access under the new system. Apparently this is to create "exclusivity" around the higher tiers. They are adapting a 3 tier system into 4 tiers.

There will be a lot of very unhappy flyers over this! I travel most weeks Cork-LHR and in the last 2 months only 4 of my flights have counted for points. So out of approx 16 flights only 4 counted.
    If I lose access to the lounge for every trip because of so many of my flights not counting I'll be very p****d off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Any idea about fast track check in and security? I could possibly tolerate reduced lounge access if I didnt have to go back to queuing for ages for by drop and security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Any idea about fast track check in and security? I could possibly tolerate reduced lounge access if I didnt have to go back to queuing for ages for by drop and security.

Yeah that woukd be the most important thing to me. I'm in the uk weekly. I use the lounge once in a blue moon anymore as I'd rather get 20minutes extra in bed than in the lounge. The more I think I about it I've only used the lounge when going transatlantic or going on hols.

But like a previous poster said the qualifying points are becoming very difficult to accumulate on uk flights unless you pay stupid money. :)

Yeah that woukd be the most important thing to me. I'm in the uk weekly. I use the lounge once in a blue moon anymore as I'd rather get 20minutes extra in bed than in the lounge. The more I think I about it I've only used the lounge when going transatlantic or going on hols.

But like a previous poster said the qualifying points are becoming very difficult to accumulate on uk flights unless you pay stupid money. :)

Equally the fast track is very important, I'd generally only use the lounge in the evenings in Heathrow. If meetings etc finish early it's good to be able to head to airport early and into the lounge, get free wifi and do work in relative peace and quiet before the flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm finding that too - I travel every week to Amsterdam at the moment, and in the last month, only 33% of my flights qualified for points. That's just sh*tty, there's no other way to say it. I travel for client work, and the travel desk book the best priced flight. I don't have the option of booking a more expensive flight just to guarantee points. And even then the cheapest flights are still relatively expensive.

In the past, I flew weekly to Brussels and Amsterdam, and not earning points was the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eusap

Did i read somewhere that they are moving away from Qualifying flights to earning points on Euro spent?

eusap wrote: »
    Did i read somewhere that they are moving away from Qualifying flights to earning points on Euro spent?

Yes I believe this is the way that Aer Club is going to be.... Would be good if they could retrospectively look at all the flights someone has done over the last 12 months just because they originally didn't count for gold circle points then they could still be accrued for Aer Club tier status!

lfc200 wrote: »
    Equally the fast track is very important, I'd generally only use the lounge in the evenings in Heathrow. If meetings etc finish early it's good to be able to head to airport early and into the lounge, get free wifi and do work in relative peace and quiet before the flight!

Despite flying through there regularly, I think I've been in the Heathrow Lounge once in the last 5 years. I've been to the shared lounge in Birmingham a few times but it's very meh, it's a real case of take it or leave it.

lfc200 wrote: »
    Yes I believe this is the way that Aer Club is going to be.... Would be good if they could retrospectively look at all the flights someone has done over the last 12 months just because they originally didn't count for gold circle points then they could still be accrued for Aer Club tier status!

They'r awful at retrospective stuff right now (it's a struggle to get credited for qualifying flights they've missed in the last 3 months alone, I can't imagine they'll go back 12!)

As for spend, it all depends on how they're going to stack this.

If for example they say qualifying for Aer Club is 3,000EUR Spend you might need to take 30 UK flights (or more) to get that, whereas 1 transatlantic flight in Business Class would cover that. It could get really messy and become a Spend programme rather than a Frequent Flyer programme.

I'm a little worried and very pessimistic about it tbh but we'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Does anybody know what the story will be with BA and OneWorld flights/points now that AL is part of the BA group? I pretty much gave up on AL GC because of experiencing everything that all you folk have listed above. I've done a number of long haul Prem Economy or Business on BA, so my status is better on that. Can we use AL flights towards the BA Executive Club?

Another thing I will say, all the schemes are very non-transparent! I get more good, concrete info here than I can find on their sites!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Aer Lingus must have been looking at this thread! Just got an email from them saying that gold circle is being extended until June 30th!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Yet more messing about by this bunch merely reinforces my intention to credit all future activity on EI to my BAEC account.
    Gold Circle closure update…

Dear Xxxxxxx,

We are pleased to confirm, that following your feedback and comments we have extended the Gold Circle programme to 30th June 2016. This will allow you to continue to enjoy your Gold Circle membership benefits. As a result the new Aer Club programme will now begin in July 2016.

We are continuing to build the best airline loyalty programme for you to allow access to more rewards than ever before whilst offering true recognition when flying with Aer Lingus.

What does this mean?
    It means that between now and 30th June, you can continue to enjoy all the benefits of your Gold Circle membership. You can continue to collect points for flights with Aer Lingus and utilise your membership benefits whilst travelling.

Your new AerClub membership tier will still be determined by your level of Aer Lingus flight activity within the 12 months prior to the closure of Gold Circle.

Any Gold Circle points collected between now and 30th June will still be converted to Avios points and credited to your new AerClub account as previously advised.

What happens next?
    Between now and 30th June, your AerClub profile will be created. We will be in touch before 30th June with everything you need to know about the new programme, and how to make the most of your new membership.

You will also receive your new membership pack before 30th June to ensure you get a flying start once we commence the rollout of AerClub.

To find out more about AerClub please click here.

We would like to thank you for your continued support and look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Yours sincerely

John Kavanagh
    Loyalty Marketing Manager

Im not sure bout fast track. My mate was told that they want to open up more fare classes for qualifying for points/avios. The plan is to reward spend rather than ticket class.

She did tell me they plan to introduce a new fully flex ticket that will include fast-track, lounge access, extra cabin bag, priority boarding and comp items onboard. No timeframe on that however.

Im not sure bout fast track. My mate was told that they want to open up more fare classes for qualifying for points/avios. The plan is to reward spend rather than ticket class.

She did tell me they plan to introduce a new fully flex ticket that will include fast-track, lounge access, extra cabin bag, priority boarding and comp items onboard. No timeframe on that however.

That heavily contradicts earlier posts on lounge access restrictions though? If the type of ticket you refer to is brought in you could have a passenger who's using Aer Lingus for the first time go to the lounge whilst w person who goes over and back to England weekly (and a GC member) not allowed in. Way to plss people off!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I do think that it's fair that the fare class of ticket purchased is relevant - someone could be flying every week but on a very low fare - you have to look at what the airline is getting in terms of revenue.

For many of the lower fares, the amount of revenue going to the airline is minuscule, with the lion's share being taxes, duties and airport charges.

There has to be an acceptance that if you're only paying a low fare, even if flying weekly, that the likelihood of getting benefits (such as lounge access) is going to be less than someone paying a higher fare.

........If the type of ticket you refer to is brought in you could have a passenger who's using Aer Lingus for the first time go to the lounge whilst w person who goes over and back to England weekly (and a GC member) not allowed in. Way to plss people off!
    Its a way to get people purchasing the fully flex tickets and allowing non-lounge access members to get sense of what they could get if they move up a tier.

Anyway, this info is 3-4 months old and it could have changed since my mate was told. On the day she was told that GC was ending on March 31st. And as indicated by the above email GC has been extended until June. Looks like they are still working on the integration with BA/IB Avios programs.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I do think that it's fair that the fare class of ticket purchased is relevant - someone could be flying every week but on a very low fare - you have to look at what the airline is getting in terms of revenue.

For many of the lower fares, the amount of revenue going to the airline is minuscule, with the lion's share being taxes, duties and airport charges.

There has to be an acceptance that if you're only paying a low fare, even if flying weekly, that the likelihood of getting benefits (such as lounge access) is going to be less than someone paying a higher fare.

I see your point on one level but.....

If I fly to the UK once a week (as I usually do) on say a low fare at €64.99 EW (and that's low for the main UK airports), that's say 45-48 x €130 = give or take €6,000 PA

Now some guy who pays flex fare (even say €250 return, which would be high for a flex return) twice a year will get lounge access and I won't? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Not that I particularly care for the lounge access mind (as I said I rarely have time to use them anymore), but it's the principle!

Not sure that I'd agree with that totally, the programme is a frequent flyer programme which by nature should reward those who do a lot of flying. It's an airlines perrogative to set the fare that they charge, why should someone who books earlier to take advantage of the lower fare that is on offer be penalised? Someone who travels every week at a lower fare is likely to bring just as much revenue as someone who might travel once a month on a much higher fare! That is just my opinion anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I see your point on one level but.....

If I fly to the UK once a week (as I usually do) on say a low fare at €64.99 EW (and that's low for the main UK airports), that's say 45-48 x €130 = give or take €6,000 PA

Now some guy who pays flex fare (even say €250 return, which would be high for a flex return) twice a year will get lounge access and I won't? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Not that I particularly care for the lounge access mind (as I said I rarely have time to use them anymore), but it's the principle!

Yes but how much of that is going to the airline? Most of that €130 is taxes/charges.

There has to be an element of realty here in terms of whilst you might be flying frequently, but the airline is getting diddly squat.

There's a balance to be struck.

Yes but how much of that is going to the airline? Most of that €130 is taxes/charges.

There has to be an element of realty here in terms of whilst you might be flying frequently, but the airline is getting diddly squat.

There's a balance to be struck.

I hadn't checked my balance in a while but I have 8,600 active points - I had 11,000 until they took 2,400 off my total to keep my membership going in January.

I've been on 64 Aer Lingus flights (32 trips, I've flown more often than that - sometimes I have to use other airlines) in the last 12 months and accumulated a measly 1,600points in that time - and 1,200 of that was on a US trip.

Again I hear what you're saying, but..........................if you were in my shoes....you'd be p*ssed too.

• Advertisement

Now some guy who pays flex fare (even say €250 return, which would be high for a flex return) twice a year will get lounge access and I won't? :mad::mad::mad::mad:.....

From reading the promotion email info and having talked to my mate. I would guess that you will still get credit for your annual spend which will go towards moving you up a tier while the less frequent flex ticket holder will get the benefits when they fly but they will not get the points towards tier status.

Advertisement