Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Think Richie is fantastic and a true asset to the show. Huge fan of the show. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Loved the live show with Kerr and Hamann, both are great value. Zinedine Kilbane is quite good as well.

I was there last night, it was good craic. I had a quick chat with Brian Kerr, he was in great form. Didn't get any free drink but there was an Off The Ball t-shirt, and lots of free sausages and chips :) Speaking of sausages, I have never seen a bigger male to female ratio in a pub, there were only a handful of women in the Mercantile.

Great to see the show in the flesh, all the guests gave good interviews, especially Brian Kerr who really enjoyed having a live audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

From the football journalists they get on, Tim Vickery is definitely my favourite. Knows everything about south american football.
    Also like Xavier Rivoire, Gabriele Marcotti, Sid Lowe and Raphael Honigstein. There's another guy they get on the odd time, a Brazilian (who apparently looks a bit like brazilian ronaldo) who's great too.

I'm with most people here on Graham. Used to be good, but not a fan of him at all now, much prefer Sid Lowe. Don't dare say anything negative about Graham Hunters precious Barcelona or he'll go mental. Love when the lads wind him up though!
    Also, I like Italian Football, but don't really like Roberto Gotta. Would love if they got James Richardson as their Italian Football guy.

The lads work great together, but they're not great at asking tough questions. I like Ken, but he definitely thinks he's more intelligent than he actually is. Love when his theorys and rants are shot down by "proper" journalists

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Were you at the Mercantyle Xavi?

My location says no ;)

They're very prompt podding the shows though which is super

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Xavi6 wrote: »
    My location says no ;)

Aah..... I suppose it would have been a bit much to make it there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The show in The Mercantile was great craic,even if though we were only allowed order Diageo beers!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The Murph-strong "scandal" tonight was hilarious stuff. Had me laughing all the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Great coverage of the Lance Armstrong story all this week in case anyone is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Best sports show in the country, I know i keep saying it but its head and shoulders above anything else. It seems to be held in high regard by many of the sporting journos too, declan walsh, paul kimmage, miguel delaney, graham hunter just some of the contributors in recent nights this week. They also embrace minority sports as they did again last night when they interviewd that 17 year old irish lad who got third in the under 19 world triathlon championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

heybaby wrote: »
    Best sports show in the country, I know i keep saying it but its head and shoulders above anything else. It seems to be held in high regard by many of the sporting journos too, declan walsh, paul kimmage, miguel delaney, graham hunter just some of the contributors in recent nights this week. They also embrace minority sports as they did again last night when they interviewd that 17 year old irish lad who got third in the under 19 world triathlon championships.

I assume you mean David Walsh.

The coverage of the Armstrong case has been very strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Aidric wrote: »
    I assume you mean David Walsh.

The coverage of the Armstrong case has been very strong.

I imagine it's partly them following up on their interview with Pat McQuaid a while back where he pretty much admitted he took a bribe from Armstrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PODboy

On the Ball is one of the tightest well presented Sports Programmes in these Islands. All the team complement each other - there is excellent synergy between all the presenters. Compare it with some of the sports presenters on RTE. With the exception of Greg Allen and Robbile Irwin the standard is very poor and I feel lazy. RTE has to realise that now it no longer has the right to our support - we can now tune into Newstalk and BBC Radio 5 live (on my I pod)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It's a pity that OTB didnt get the Pat McQuaid interview... McQuaid said that he wasnt doing ANY media interviews post Monday's press conference, BUT that he had a long standing interview booed with Pat Kenny for that Tuesday that he would honour.. .. I'm a big fan of Pat Kenny but the interview with Pat McQuaid was one of his poorest I thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I'm sure McQuaid only agreed to the interview with the caveat that Kenny would go easy on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

McQuaid died on his arse in the Kenny interview.

Seán O'Rourke would have filleted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

nicolas roche digging a nice hole for himself this evening about the whole armstrong/mcquaid malarkey.
    wouldn't say that he wants mcquaid to resign, thinks paul kimmage should focus on other sports now as cycling has taken enough of a hammering.

didn't paul kimmage ask questions about stephen roche a long time ago too?

John Giles talking about footballers and Nicholas Roche kicking up the dirt in front of Paul Kimmage...

What a week for Off The Ball... It's just been brilliant all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

nicolas roche digging a nice hole for himself this evening about the whole armstrong/mcquaid malarkey.
    wouldn't say that he wants mcquaid to resign,

Isn't his agent pat mcquaid's son.

didn't paul kimmage ask questions about stephen roche a long time ago too?

I've looked back over interviews with Roche from the late 80s and he is certainly of a much stronger intellect than his son. Much sharper under questioning.. Nicholas was poor, and misunderstood what Eoin was asking/suggesting numerous times.. He really shouldnt have done the interview unless he had a clear answer to the question about Pat McQuaid..

Kimmage, even this week on OTB, has described Stephen Roche as having "a shady past".. And Nicholas would certainly be aware who David Walsh is anyway...

You'll notice another frequent Newstalk contributor (/tool) in the second part of the video.. :rolleyes:

Isn't his agent pat mcquaid's son.

i know mcquaid's son posts on boards anyway!
    fecked if i'm going looking for his username though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I've looked back over interviews with Roche from the late 80s and he is certainly of a much stronger intellect than his son. Much sharper under questioning.. Nicholas was poor, and misunderstood what Eoin was asking/suggesting numerous times.. He really shouldnt have done the interview unless he had a clear answer to the question about Pat McQuaid..

Kimmage, even this week on OTB, has described Stephen Roche as having "a shady past".. And Nicholas would certainly be aware who David Walsh is anyway...

You'll notice another frequent Newstalk contributor (/tool) in the second part of the video.. :rolleyes:

They've spent the entire week bitching about McQuaid's refusal to come on the show and then when Nicolas comes on, knowing he will be questioned aggressively, you have texters saying "dont give him airtime".:confused:

Nicolas said he never met David Walsh, not that he didnt know who he was, so not sure what point you're making there.

Question -isnt it better to hear once in a while from (i) a non Kimmage fan for a change and (ii) a voice from within the current peleton on this subject?

I think NR made a lot of sense tonight- he didnt support Pat McQuaid but questioned whether getting rid of him alone would solve the issue; he acknowledged that Walsh and Kimmage had been vindicated, before making a genuine observation about Kimmage's attitude to the sport. Those were reasoned, thoughful remarks I thought. It was obvious though that Eoin didnt like his mate being criticised - that didnt reflect well on him.

What is the point of hearing from Kimmage and Walsh every night without the other side of the coin getting a word in edgeways?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    T
    What is the point of hearing from Kimmage and Walsh every night without the other side of the coin getting a word in edgeways?

the other side of the coin has repeatedly refused a request for an interview all week!!

the other side of the coin has repeatedly refused a request for an interview all week!!

Nicolas Roche would be considered to be from the "other camp". He didnt refuse an interview.

I'm saying its useful to hear from him for a different perspective.

Some are saying get him off the radio - that cant be right.

Nicolas said he never met David Walsh, not that he didnt know who he was, so not sure what point you're making there.

I wasnt making any point, I'm just saying that he would certainly be aware of who he is given that his father appeared on national television with him 12 years ago..

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    I think NR made a lot of sense tonight

As I said above, I thought he was poor... he was unclear, misunderstood a few of the points that were being put to him, was unprepared for the obvious questions he was going to be asked... However, he certainly wasnt helped by the phone line...

On the point about Paul Kimmage being bitter, whenever I hear Kimmage I cant help but agree with Roche on this one... I always find myself thinking of him as taking his revenge on cycling because it wasnt as good to him as it was to Roche and Kelly..

It was obvious though that Eoin didnt like his mate being criticised - that didnt reflect well on him.

I thought it was unprofessional of him as well when he was audibly excited when Roche did not say that McQuaid should step down... like Roche had just slipped on the banana skin he'd left for him.. If I want that sort of objectivity, I'll listen to Liveline..

I wasnt making any point, I'm just saying that he would certainly be aware of who he is given that his father appeared on national television with him 12 years ago..

As I said above, I thought he was poor... he was unclear, misunderstood a few of the points that were being put to him, was unprepared for the obvious questions he was going to be asked... However, he certainly wasnt helped by the phone line...

On the point about Paul Kimmage being bitter, whenever I hear Kimmage I cant help but agree with Roche on this one... I always find myself thinking of him as taking his revenge on cycling because it wasnt as good to him as it was to Roche and Kelly..

Well thats cleared up then - Nicolas Roche knows who David Walsh is, in case anyone was in any doubt. Cheers for that.

In relation to Roche's preformance under questioning tonight - its true he didnt give the usual stock answers Eoin was looking for, such as "Pat McQuaid is the devil incarnate". He was a lot more nuanced that that, a good thing i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

I wonder how Eoin McDevitt would have reacted if he found himself on, say an RTE radio programme around the time the Moriarty Tribunal findings came out, being badgered about whether he thought Denis O'Brien was a fit to own Newstalk. Roach is just a young rider on the peloton, him deciding to not call for the head of world cycling is understandable.

McDevitt has been bugging me all week, he's absolutely full of himself since that PPI award. It's just a proxy industry award, get over it ffs. He would fare no better with McQuaid than Pat Kenny did. McQuaid would just stay on message and stonewall all those awkward questions. McDevitt wouldn't lay a glove on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I don't think english is Nicholas' first language.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think it was a bad move when they cut the Friday show,its just not the same previewing all the weekends action on a Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Nicholas Roche is an awkward position when the subject of doping is broached with him. His father does have a shady past. Judicial investigations in an Italian court in 2000 and 2004 found that Stephen had taken EPO during the 1993 season. The team doctor admitted to administering Roche and his teamates with the substance.

The statute of limitations saved Roche from prosecution.

• Advertisement

Just on RTE news now... UCI are suspending the action against Paul Kimmage until the findings of an independent commission..

http://www.thescore.ie/uci-kimmage-lawsuit-suspended-651382-Oct2012/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement