Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

All the twins are flying along!

67KXUHgh.jpg
    I'm smiling looking at the pic where the three sets of twins are coupling together. Lovely pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Base price wrote: »
    I'm smiling looking at the pic where the three sets of twins are coupling together. Lovely pic.

The younger sets can almost always be found lying together in their pairs, older ones seem to be hitting the teen phase & it's uncool to lie next to your sibling :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Prime Minister UK 23 July - Midday

Conservatives - 159,320 eligible to vote, 87.4% voted, Rejected 509,

Boris Johnson = 92,153 votes
    Jeremy Hunt = 46,656 votes

Johnson totally “Carried” it to No 10

As anounced by Dame Cheryl Elise Kendall Gillan DBE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You'd almost feel sorry for the butterflies when you'd be cutting thistles...

Small tortoise shells and small whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

You'd almost feel sorry for the butterflies when you'd be cutting thistles...

Small tortoise shells and small whites.

It's the bumble bees that do be at them when I'm cutting them

• Advertisement

Fact of the day!

If anyone remarks to you that it's amazing the difference in landscape on this island and that it changes when you drive from the southeast to the northwest or viceversa and the dividing line is around Portloaise.
    Tell them that's because you're travelling from one continent to another. That Ireland was in two different landmasses and that that join is called the Iapetus Suture.
    Nenagh, Silvermines and Navan is also on this join.

So now... Iapetus Suture.

ganmo wrote: »
    It's the bumble bees that do be at them when I'm cutting them

Didn't see any of them.

But I did hear a cricket when I turned off the tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,052 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Didn't see any of them.

But I did hear a cricket when I turned off the tractor.

That was probably just your knees cracking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Day 2 done of coaching at Cul camp. I’d say the kids will sleep tonight, my two were wrecked from the heat and the running about. It’s the first year the club have ran a Cul camp, sixty kids at it and we’re a fairly rural hurling only club.
    Tbh I said to the club chairman today if we’re doing it next yr, I won’t be doing it if it’s the official Kellogg’s one again. £50 a head, the official coach provided by the Gaa, is on holiday until tonight, they have no casual coaches available so it’s left to the club coaches to deliver the whole thing. I said we’d be far better off charging £30 a head and doing it unofficially ourselves and forget about providing rucksacks and tops. At least the club would get the money. All of us have taken the week off work to do it voluntarily anyway, so again the Gaa getting away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Day 2 done of coaching at Cul camp. I’d say the kids will sleep tonight, my two were wrecked from the heat and the running about. It’s the first year the club have ran a Cul camp, sixty kids at it and we’re a fairly rural hurling only club.
    Tbh I said to the club chairman today if we’re doing it next yr, I won’t be doing it if it’s the official Kellogg’s one again. £50 a head, the official coach provided by the Gaa, is on holiday until tonight, they have no casual coaches available so it’s left to the club coaches to deliver the whole thing. I said we’d be far better off charging £30 a head and doing it unofficially ourselves and forget about providing rucksacks and tops. At least the club would get the money. All of us have taken the week off work to do it voluntarily anyway, so again the Gaa getting away with it.

I don’t understand where the money in the gaa goes? It’s money and funding raising for everything yet very few get paid. We’re does it go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Odelay wrote: »
    I don’t understand where the money in the gaa goes? It’s money and funding raising for everything yet very few get paid. We’re does it go?

The wife here is treasurer of the local club and has been secretary for a good few years previous to that. It costs €65 - €75,000 per annum to run our small rural club. Insurance, affiliation, maintenance, lighting, equipment etc. It all adds up over the year. That figure does not include any capital spending at all and almost all labour is voluntary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I’ll wait to our next monthly meeting to see how it fairs out. The club paid for a bus to get the kids to and from the 2 villages, copious amounts of fruit and water, bbq on Friday. Sticks, balls, all equipment provided by the club. I printed/photocopied over 300 pages for art/colouring in for kids and the Cul coach hasn’t even forwarded any type of schedule or programme. It’s the discrepancy in how it was sold to the club n promises made, to reality on the ground.

In our local club the money was being pocketed by a committee member. That was about 5 years ago and tbh the club has never recovered from it. A figure was repaid but no one knows how much was taken as alot of the money was cash. Sickner for the loyal life long supporters of the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭giveitholly

whelan2 wrote: »
    In our local club the money was being pocketed by a committee member. That was about 5 years ago and tbh the club has never recovered from it. A figure was repaid but no one knows how much was taken as alot of the money was cash. Sickner for the loyal life long supporters of the club.

Thats a sickener,does that person still live in the locality?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Grueller wrote: »
    The wife here is treasurer of the local club and has been secretary for a good few years previous to that. It costs €65 - €75,000 per annum to run our small rural club. Insurance, affiliation, maintenance, lighting, equipment etc. It all adds up over the year. That figure does not include any capital spending at all and almost all labour is voluntary.

The club has to pay for affiliation to the gaa?

Thats a sickener,does that person still live in the locality?

Yup his son plays there and he cant watch him play at home games. Most payments now done online . An example was there was a band booked for a club function. He was found out between the booking and the function. He had an amount he said the band cost that he was getting off the club in reality the band were charging half that. He would pocket the rest

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

. I said we’d be far better off charging £30 a head and doing it unofficially ourselves and forget about providing rucksacks and tops. At least the club would get the money.

Our own club has been doing this near 10 year now. Every Saturday. It's very popular with the kids. Boys and girls , I think from about 6 to 10 year old. They set up a series of stations with a skill being practised at each. And at the blast of a whistle small groups move from one to the next. Usually a coach or two at each station. The odd station may have nothing to do with football or hurling but might be just in for the fun. It seems to work well when you get it up and running.

Yup his son plays there and he cant watch him play at home games. Most payments now done online . An example was there was a band booked for a club function. He was found out between the booking and the function. He had an amount he said the band cost that he was getting off the club in reality the band were charging half that. He would pocket the rest

If I remember correctly that made national papers when the story broke? Or am I mixing it up with another Louth club.

If I remember correctly that made national papers when the story broke? Or am I mixing it up with another Louth club.

It probably did. Everyone was very shocked at the time very hard to fund raise for anything after that

Our own club has been doing this near 10 year now. Every Saturday. It's very popular with the kids. Boys and girls , I think from about 6 to 10 year old. They set up a series of stations with a skill being practised at each. And at the blast of a whistle small groups move from one to the next. Usually a coach or two at each station. The odd station may have nothing to do with football or hurling but might be just in for the fun. It seems to work well when you get it up and running.

Is that just normal nursery though? Well that's what we call it here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

The club has to pay for affiliation to the gaa?

Yup and registration of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Same thing happened in club down these parts - treasurer started pocketing some money. Think they were found out when the GAA lotto was won, and the there was no cash to pay the winnings...
    I don’t know what the amount involved was, or if/when the money was repaid. It was handled by the club, no guards involved - which caused a bit of upset...

Apparently the club is down a lot on fundraising now, combination of people not willing to play the lotto or fundraise cos of the whole thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not GAA but club We’re involved with had same. Guy running everything but hiding finances. Took a long time to shift him on, we were continually fundraising and struggling for money. Turned out about €10k a year was going missing over 12-13 year period. No proof though. Glad to have him gone and finances are very healthy, we haven’t fundraosed in two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Same thing happened in club down these parts - treasurer started pocketing some money. Think they were found out when the GAA lotto was won, and the there was no cash to pay the winnings...
    I don’t know what the amount involved was, or if/when the money was repaid. It was handled by the club, no guards involved - which caused a bit of upset...

Apparently the club is down a lot on fundraising now, combination of people not willing to play the lotto or fundraise cos of the whole thing...

was that a woman that was involved there.

I suppose it is. I think I sorta mixed up what the op was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

There's some awful crooks out there. Our chairman a few years ago fixed a race night so that all his family members won all the races. I don't know how he thought nobody would notice. He admitted it after and stepped down. I had sold around 1k worth of tickets for it and not one person I sold them to won anything. Disgraceful carry on and he really fecked up fundraising for the club for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Place I was contracted in to do maintenance had an account running in a hardware store across the road.

They had a review of the account as it was spiralling out of control.

Turned out another maintenance contractor was billing stuff for his house build and the extremely last maintenance manager was co signing the dockets without looking. I heard it was over €100k of goods but was swept under the carpet as the maintenance manager would have been in deep ****.

Crooks everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I got 2 bills from the local COOP last month. One was in the name of my father who is dead over 15 years. It was for a few bags of meal, the same type I would get myself. I keep all receipts for signed stuff on credit and I couldn't find the receipt for this. I went to COOP and asked to see the signed receipt on the system. Turned out a new employee had made a mistake and mixed up accounts with a similar name. Just shows how important it is to check everything.
    What is anoying me most is, we spent years at the time trying to get them to close my fathers a/c and we thought it was well closed by now.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement

There can be genuine mistakes but cashing club cheques, pocketing fundraising money and members subscriptions are not a one off. To be doing that and to walk around the club knowing you are robbing everyone there is a bad act.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement