Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

More words being dropped out from another expert: "body of work"... "big job of work" sez Sean. ;(
    Going down the Joe Duffy route with Bodies !:eek:

DON'T SAY VERSA.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I thought one of the “selling points” of varadkar was he was good at the media etc etc media savvy

He was Effin woeful this morning

Stuttering and scuttering and stammering throughout

Sniggering inappropriately, nervous as befcuked in case he puts foot in it

Useless !!

Increasingly clear that

Fg backed the wrong horse (and ironically the members wanted Coveney not LV)

And ff are happy to let him swing in the wind as his party’s ratings continue to drop

I thought one of the “selling points” of varadkar was he was good at the media etc etc media savvy

He was Effin woeful this morning

Stuttering and scuttering and stammering throughout

Sniggering inappropriately, nervous as befcuked in case he puts foot in it

Useless !!

Increasingly clear that

Fg backed the wrong horse (and ironically the members wanted Coveney not LV)

And ff are happy to let him swing in the wind as his party’s ratings continue to drop
    Varadkar was / is all style and no substance .

Photo Shoot Phoney , As Real as Rocking Horse Sh!t !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

blinding wrote: »
    Varadkar was / is all style and no substance .

Photo Shoot Phoney , As Real as Rocking Horse Sh!t !

Sorry, you're wrong - there's no style to be had there.
    He came up the ranks as a economically-right libertarian type and has transformed into some poundland-Trudeau.
    Once he's off script he 'eh's' and 'ehms' his way through things.
    He's a gaffe-prone poser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

He realized up in portrush that his ministerial keys wont open up every door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Edwina starting to get the better of Miriam.

"Stay with us. I'm glad you joined us."

sligojoek wrote: »
    Edwina starting to get the better of Miriam.

"Stay with us. I'm glad you joined us."

Very surprised she isn't on Newstalk. Does she, like many here, have eyes only for Pat? (who's on holiday)

Ohh is the Angelus gonna be late ?

RTÉ producers shouting at the screen for this guy to hurry up and announce Boris.

Edit: 12pm and no BONGs. There shall be letters over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

"I'm really sorry Ronan Collins for being late." Yeah, I'm sure Ronan Collins' ipod was insulted.

You think somebody would have had the common sense to tell Ronan Collins to stay at home today, and just cover the big story.

• Advertisement

Ohh is the Angelus gonna be late ?

RTÉ producers shouting at the screen for this guy to hurry up and announce Boris.

Edit: 12pm and no BONGs. There shall be letters over this.
    Another Victory for Brexit .

Borrowed money for a holiday. You really can't help some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,771 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Borrowed money for a holiday. You really can't help some people.

Couldn't bear Meeriam after about 10 mins.... what was the story?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Couldn't bear Meeriam after about 10 mins.... what was the story?

Lad giving out about the high payback rates of loan sharks. I thought he was buying bread and kid's shoes, but no, he wanted to head to Spain for a few weeks.

The working poor want to travel? You'd think they'd be content with buying children's shoes, sugarless tea and butterless bread.

Honestly, I'm afraid of all this "Progress".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

I need a 2nd car in my house (large family). I've done the sums and can't afford it.

However, should I now go and get a loan that I can't afford?...in the name of progress of course

jay0109 wrote: »
    I need a 2nd car in my house (large family). I've done the sums and can't afford it.

However, should I now go and get a loan that I can't afford?...in the name of progress of course
    So you work, and you probably work hard. And you can't afford to organise your family in a fairly normal way?

That's pretty rubbish. But you're using this example, which is a fairly big infringement on your life, as a way of attacking other working class people?

These people are desperate and are just trying to live fairly ordinary lives, as you are. They are not the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

These people are desperate and are just trying to live fairly ordinary lives, as you are. They are not the problem.
    Indeed. The minimum wage being far behind the living wage which is itself being mainly inflated by the exorbitant cost of housing is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Lad giving out about the high payback rates of loan sharks. I thought he was buying bread and kid's shoes, but no, he wanted to head to Spain for a few weeks.

FFS.

So you work, and you probably work hard. And you can't afford to organise your family in a fairly normal way?

That's pretty rubbish. But you're using this example, which is a fairly big infringement on your life, as a way of attacking other working class people?

Not quiet sure why you felt the need to throw a dig like that at my situation.

I'm not attacking no one. A holiday to Spain is not part of a 'normal' life. it's a luxury which should only be undertaken if it can be afforded.

No one in Ireland is desperate unless they've made their life that way. There's plenty of social supports provided by the working people through their taxes to keep everyone comfortable.
    But holiday's to Spain....work and save or forget about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

".... Our own hero, Marty Morrissey"

The working poor want to travel?

Maybe instead of speaking to Paddy O'Gorman, the guy should have spoken to a few different financial advisors and see how many of them recommended going on a holiday paid for by a loan shark as a solution to his financial issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

The working poor want to travel? You'd think they'd be content with buying children's shoes, sugarless tea and butterless bread.

Honestly, I'm afraid of all this "Progress".

He could have saved for the holiday or gone to a Credit Union to borrow at a reasonable rate.

Not quiet sure why you felt the need to throw a dig like that at my situation.

I'm not attacking no one. A holiday to Spain is not part of a 'normal' life. it's a luxury which should only be undertaken if it can be afforded.
    First of all I don't know anything about you so I'm sorry that you took offence at a phrase I used but it wasn't a dig, I just said anyone who needs to go to a moneylender is in a pretty bad situation

Second of all, I don't think a holiday is a luxury per se. It's à fairly normal thing to do, definitely down the list of necessities but everyone needs a break and to get away from the ordinary stress of life.
    PinotNero wrote: »
    He could have saved for the holiday or gone to a Credit Union to borrow at a reasonable rate.
    The credit unions do the same credit checks as the banks do, and they have very similar lending criteria. So just as a pretty drastic example if you have, say, gotten into trouble with your mortgage and maybe you had to leave your house, as many people have, there's no way you're getting as much as a fiver off the credit union.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

First of all I don't know anything about you so I'm sorry that you took offence at a phrase I used but it wasn't a dig, I just said anyone who needs to go to a moneylender is in a pretty bad situation

Second of all, I don't think a holiday is a luxury per se. It's à fairly normal thing to do, definitely down the list of necessities but everyone needs a break and to get away from the ordinary stress of life.

Wouldn't be much of a holiday if you have a loan shark waiting for you when you get back! :mad:

One man's necessity is another man's luxury! In my book, a foreign holiday is a luxury...maybe that's as a result of being an 80's child when the furthest I ever got was Achill Island, Bundoran or Mosney for a day trip.
    My problem even back then was work....my parent's worked very hard during the Summer. Never had time for holidays

One man's necessity is another man's luxury! In my book, a foreign holiday is a luxury...maybe that's as a result of being an 80's child when the furthest I ever got was Achill Island, Bundoran or Mosney for a day trip.
    These days, a holiday in Achill or Bundoran (Mosney is gone unless you drive up to the airport and claim asylum!) will cost you more than a holiday to Spain anyway.

I'm a bit puzzled by this notion that the poor should essentially 'know your place' and not expect to be able to take a holiday. The people who work the hardest are often those who earn the least, and they should deserve a holiday more than most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,034 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

These days, a holiday in Achill or Bundoran (Mosney is gone unless you drive up to the airport and claim asylum!) will cost you more than a holiday to Spain anyway.

I'm a bit puzzled by this notion that the poor should essentially 'know your place' and not expect to be able to take a holiday. The people who work the hardest are often those who earn the least, and they should deserve a holiday more than most people.

In fairness Mil, I see no such notion in any of the posts here.

The main point is that borrowing money from a loan shark for a holiday, given the clues which that portrays, can only end up badly, sometimes very badly.

It would be my best guess that the lad who went to the Loan Shark was not in employment and therefore does not 'work the hardest'.
    I recall him saying he was paying back up to €50 a week from his welfare

• Advertisement

In fairness Mil, I see no such notion in any of the posts here.

The main point is that borrowing money from a loan shark for a holiday, given the clues which that portrays, can only end up badly, sometimes very badly.
    Yes that's fair enough, but people are generally not stupid Brendan. If they're going to loan sharks they probably have no other choice, and it's a bit naïve suggesting they trot up to the credit union. That's all I'm saying. The credit union is now just as risk-averse as the banks are, and it follows very strict lending criteria.

If someone just wants a breather for themselves and their family, I don't really blame them for going to a moneylender, risky and expensive as that this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement