Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

securing a fence post

Options
  • 22-07-2019 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I need to put up a fence post that will support a 1800mm X 1800mm Panel

Fence.

One end of fence panel will be attached to the 6FT post and the other end will be attached to shed (block/concrete) wall.

I have a bracket that the post is secured into as shown attached.

Question:
    1) the bracket sits on Indian sandstone paving which isn't work a sh1t for bolting into, so i need to cut out section ps sandstone and fill with concrete, How deep should i go?

2) if base of bracket is 120mm x 120mm how much extra should i add onto this e.g. 180mm sq so the bolts to have plenty of concrete around them?
    3)what curing time should i give it (based on thickness of concrete) as the bolts will stress the concrete and dont want it to crack when screwing in bolts.
    4)is there a better way of doing this like using a 950mm long spike support
    thanks a mill, would appreciate any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

tommytee wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I need to put up a fence post that will support a 1800mm X 1800mm Panel

Fence.

One end of fence panel will be attached to the 6FT post and the other end will be attached to shed (block/concrete) wall.

I have a bracket that the post is secured into as shown attached.

Question:
    1) the bracket sits on Indian sandstone paving which isn't work a sh1t for bolting into, so i need to cut out section ps sandstone and fill with concrete, How deep should i go?

2) if base of bracket is 120mm x 120mm how much extra should i add onto this e.g. 180mm sq so the bolts to have plenty of concrete around them?
    3)what curing time should i give it (based on thickness of concrete) as the bolts will stress the concrete and dont want it to crack when screwing in bolts.
    4)is there a better way of doing this like using a 950mm long spike support
    thanks a mill, would appreciate any info

Put some threaded bar into the concrete as you are pouring it to line up with the holes in the bracket then just drop the bracket on and secure with nuts

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bfclancy wrote:
    Put some threaded bar into the concrete as you are pouring it to line up with the holes in the bracket then just drop the bracket on and secure with nuts

Good idea

Might be worth making a wooden template from old ply drilled out to keep it lined up.

Advertisement