Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1.5 hour connection JFK.. too tight?

Options
  • 21-07-2019 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭

I may have made a mistake.. I've just booked a flight from Toronto to Shannon, but with a 1.5 hour connection in JFK...

I will have only carry-on, but basic economy so back of the plane etc. I didn't twig that I might have to go through immigration again for a connecting flight in JFK.. Am I goosed?

Both the YYZ->JFK and JFK->SNN flights have the same confirmation number on my email from eTravel, but the outward flight (SNN->JFK) has a different confirmation number. On the Delta website (both return flights are Delta, outward is Air France), all three flights are listed with the same confirmation number (as the YYZ->JFK). Does this mean they'll look after things if I don't make the connection?

Obviously, I should have checked this beforehand, but here we are...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

You'll go though US immigration in Toronto. 1.5 hours is normally plenty connecting between Delta flights in JFK. But if your first flight is badly delayed you'll face a 24 hour wait for the next Shannon flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Oh, didn't realise they had preclearance - great :)
    Thanks.

And I don't have anything to get back for - it was just the cost of rebooking a flight that was concerning me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Air France don't fly Shannon - JFK, it's a code share with Delta.

you might have to change terminals in JFK but you can stay airside and take the jitney that runs between T2 and T4 but with pre-clearance you should have plenty of time provided the first flight isn't delayed. Delta have a duty of care to get you on the next flight with seat availability - might not be the actual next flight.

This is provided it's all booked on the one ticket

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

If you’ve booked “basic economy” I’m pretty sure this means your carry-on will be gate checked, as basic economy passengers aren’t given overhead locker priority. However if it’s a through ticket with Delta to SNN they may check your bag all the way to SNN anyway, clarify this with the ground staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

By the sounds of it it's all on the same ticket number (not confirmation number) so should be fine. In the event that you miss a connection they will rebook you on the next available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

If it's all one booking then you are fine and the delta reps will likely meet you at gate to work out new flights if you miss connection

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Cheers all - it seems to be the one e-ticket number for all three flights, so I guess that means I don't have to worry as much about missing the connection.

I'd rather they didn't check the bag, as I'll have my laptop with me, and that will mean having to bring a separate bag for laptop stuff... but I guess we'll see what happens.

Incidentally, the same flights are now available to book with the Delta website instead for 40e cheaper, so I could have avoided the concern about what was included on the ticket and saved myself 40 quid.. Ah well!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Ficheall wrote: »

I'd rather they didn't check the bag, as I'll have my laptop with me, and that will mean having to bring a separate bag for laptop stuff... but I guess we'll see what happens.

You mightn’t have a choice, I know for some airlines that’s a stipulation of the basic economy fare, but I’m not personally familiar with Deltas policy.

Advertisement