Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to go for initial Hearing Test

• 19-06-2019 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi

I have been suffering a lot of tinnitus the last 2 y. I ignored it as I had read there is nothing to be done for tinnitus.

However in the last few months I have also noticed a real drop in the quality of my hearing. Mishearing words, can't hear what people are saying, straining to catch enough clues to make some sensible comments etc. I also did 2 of those online tests which said I might have "considerable" hearing loss.

Looking online I also see that tinnitus can be connected with hearing loss.

I also have a back history of grommits as a kid and long standing labyrinthitis (vertigo and nausea) as an adult.

With that history, should I go into the GP for a referral to a suitable audiologist or would somewhere like the free test in Specsavers be an ok place to start?

Many thanks, I just don't know where to start really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I thought would be simple to get referral from GP but he insisted that I go route of consultant which meant hearing test done by her audiologist then MRI and later CAT scan. I ended up having grommets done over few years and in the end was told I would be a good candidate for hearing aid! So I cancelled another grommet surgery and have been happy with specsavers service and value.

Specsavers will ask you your medical history and need to be assured that a hearing aid is appropriate. Perhaps in your case your GP will support your decision. Perhaps with tinnitus a hearing will not help. I have heard of a person being offered a trial of a hearing aid to see it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ellee wrote: »
    I also have a back history of grommits as a kid and long standing labyrinthitis (vertigo and nausea) as an adult.
    IMO, have your doc put in a referral letter to the Eye & Ear hospital.

An audiologist will only work with what they get back from the hearing test, but you may need your ears looked at before you do so.

Advertisement