Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is this Jupiter?

Options
  • 14-07-2019 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭

Took this this evening 22:45 13/7/2019.

been told this is Jupiter ?

485218.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Would have thought that was Venus myself

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

bfa1509 wrote: »

No it’s jupiter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Bit of a distance over to the right of the moon in the photo - I would have thought if Jupiter it would be right next to moon ?

485219.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Clearly Jupiter.

Saturn looked good earlier, down a bit to the left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Bit of a distance over to the right of the moon in the photo - I would have thought if Jupiter it would be right next to moon ?

This is worth downloading
    https://stellarium.org/

It gives much more accurate info

12d44db012ab76090a93ad9f5ec97772.png
    bfa1509 wrote: »

Not at this time of the year. Venus follows the sun around the sky so is only ever visible near sun rise or sun set and it's currently too close to the sun to see at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Took this this evening 22:45 13/7/2019.

been told this is Jupiter ?

Definitely has to be Jupiter, there's nothing else it could be. However, when I did a bit of amateur forensics on it, I found an anomaly I don't know how to reconcile. Here's my sketch of the number of moon diameters from the centre of the moon to Jupiter:

y6cz7ig.png?1

I took a line through the centre of both objects (thin orange arrow), then drew a moon diameter along it (thick dashed orange arrow), then copied and translated that (thick red arrows), to get almost exactly two moon diameters. In spite of being hand drawn over the original image I imagine it must be accurate to a few tens of percent at worst.

Here's Stellarium for the same date and time:

qYoftUI.png?1

The moon phase is 91% and the features and orientation also match up pretty well to the photo, allowing for a bit of overexposure. The azimuthal grid lines are one degree apart. Even by eye you can see the separation between the centres is more than two moon diameters. Stellarium gives the positions in degrees to better than four decimal places. For small angles we can work out the separation just using Pythagoras theorem on the azimuth/altitude measurements. Stellarium also gives the moon apparent diameter at 0.51 degrees. Plugging in the numbers gives a separation of 3.3 moon diameters.

I don't see how the measurements from the photo could be out by this much. The altitudes are around 15 degrees, too high for the geometric vs. apparent positions to be affected by refraction. Just in case the timestamp on the photo is wrong (e.g. due to daylight savings) I looked at the positions for an hour earlier and later. The moon moves east along the ecliptic by around half a degree per hour, so could make a difference. But 21.45 is before sunset (especially in Sligo) and the separation is still 3.0 moon diameters. At 23.45 it increases to 3.7 moon diameters. If the date was wrong the moon phase would be very different, and there are no nearby planets. (Although flicking forward a day at a time brought me completely fortuitously to tomorrow's partial eclipse, which I hadn't known about :D ).

So what am I doing wrong?

I thought maybe the OP's photo was horizontally stretched. So I superimposed the Stellarium view over the photo:

oArZk4m.png

The red circles simulate a Telrad viewfinder -- outer circle 4 deg, next one 2 deg. That's very close to 4 and 2 moon diameters from the centre. My Stellarium moon doesn't quite cover the photographic one, so should be a little larger. That's consistent with the photo Jupiter being 2 moon diameters vs. the Stellarium Jupiter being 3.3 moon diameters from the moon centre. The two Jupiters aren't quite in a straight line but definitely not off enough to indicate dramatic stretching in one direction. The visible outline of the photo moon is also a decent test of circularity.

So I'm still stumped. How can Stellarium's Jupiter be more than 50% further from the Moon than it appears in a (seemingly undistorted) photo? I know Stellarium allows different projections to be set, but that can't be it as I calculated from the ephemeris data, not from visual appearance. OP, out of interest, what camera/lens were you using, and how certain are you about the date/time?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

I know the positions of asteroids need to be updated from time to time in Stellarium. I remember contacting them to point out that their location for Ceres was different from my photo. So they said to update with the most recent ephemeris from the MPC, and this sorted it. Perhaps the Moon's location also starts to wander, although I've never updated it myself and on the most recent occasion when I've used it for a star occultation the accuracy was acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭tjhook

I'm on my phone, apologies I can't check this myself...

Some astronomy software makes the moon appear larger than it should be, in order to more closely match what we think we see when we look at the sky. Is there an option in Stellarium to enable /disable this? Another way to check would be to align other objects in the sky, e.g. Stars and see if its only the moon that's mis-sized.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the last couple of suggestions.

tjhook, I mentioned I am not depending on the visual size or appearance of the Moon in Stellarium. What I did was use the Az/Alt coordinates. For instance, here are the values for 13-Jul 22:45 after converting Stellarium's coordinates to decimal degrees:

mmuQOsE.png

The hypotenuse is simply the square root of the sum of the squared differences. By rights I should scale the azimuth by the cosine of the altitude, as degrees in azimuth get "skinnier" with higher altitude. But as both bodies are ~15 degrees from the horizon the difference in the calculation is less than 2%. To convert to moon diameters I am using Stellarium's diameter value of 0.51 degrees, but there is no reason to doubt this as it would be typical for an average moon distance and doesn't vary by a large percentage anyway. Only after using the Stellarium data did I sanity check that the actual moon appearance in Stellarium is consistent with the data, but I am not depending on that.

SophieL, interesting point about ephemeris data within Stellarium. I wasn't sure how to sanity check it. You learn something new every day and while investigating, I encountered the difference between geocentric and topocentric moon ephemerides. Geocentric, as the name implies, are moon positions as measured from the centre of the earth. Topocentric moon positions are from the observer's location and can differ by a whole degree for two observers separated by an earth radius. In retrospect, this makes obvious sense considering the moon distance. I can only assume that Stellarium calculates its own topocentric moon ephemeris, as otherwise it would be ignoring the observer's location setting. I did check that my location is set for Ireland.

I also found what is presumably the gold standard for lunar ephemerides -- the 600-year NASA/JPL DE405 Ephemeris Model (sounds impressive anyway! :pac:). One calculator based on it can be found here. Using date/time of 2019-07-13 22:45:00 LT = UT+1, and lat/long of +53/-6.25 I got topocentric lunar coordinates that matched Stellarium to within a couple of arcminutes, in both Az/Alt and RA/DEC. It also confirms the lunar diameter of 0.51 degrees. I checked a second ephemeris at calsky.com and got the same results as Stellarium for both the moon and Jupiter.

So it looks like Stellarium checks out very well indeed. Does that cast doubt on the fidelity of the photo image? I don't know. I'm still stumped.

Andy from Sligo ... can you confirm that you took the photo in Sligo (or at least western Europe), and not on holliers in Asia or North America? :D

ps200306 wrote: »
    Andy from Sligo ... can you confirm that you took the photo in Sligo (or at least western Europe), and not on holliers in Asia or North America? :D

I can confirm I took the photo 12miles south of Sligo Town yes :)

I can confirm I took the photo 12miles south of Sligo Town yes :)
    And did you notice any other disturbances in the spacetime continuum, apart from the one that knocked the Moon off track by about 2,500 miles? :pac:

And did you notice any other disturbances in the spacetime continuum, apart from the one that knocked the Moon off track by about 2,500 miles? :pac:

not personally no :D

- and by the way i cannot see the moon / partial eclipse of the moon at all tonight , it doesnt seem that cloudy out there ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

not personally no :D

- and by the way i cannot see the moon / partial eclipse of the moon at all tonight , it doesnt seem that cloudy out there ...

Some Xfiles stuff going on in Sligo

2437009d99f5e8c8a2cc13b5fd2e9593.png

Not cloudy? :P

There was a brief gap in the clouds here in Tipp and I saw it for a few minutes but conditions were still too poor to get a good pic.

no, my bad .. it was cloudy - this is all I got . Shame ..

485464.jpg

Just to check I'm not going nuts, I checked again in Stellarium specifically for 12 miles south of Sligo town. It affected the distance between the Moon and Jupiter by 45 arcseconds ... about a hundredth of a degree. Don't suppose there's any chance it was an aeroplane and not Jupiter at all? After all, the moon was 10,000 times brighter than Jupiter, so quite a contrast for a camera to capture. Next opportunity to capture the two of them close together ( < 2 degrees) is August 9th.

(P.S. Was cloudy at moonrise tonight but got a brief view of the eclipse sometime later).

Just to check I'm not going nuts, I checked again in Stellarium specifically for 12 miles south of Sligo town. It affected the distance between the Moon and Jupiter by 45 arcseconds ... about a hundredth of a degree. Don't suppose there's any chance it was an aeroplane and not Jupiter at all? After all, the moon was 10,000 times brighter than Jupiter, so quite a contrast for a camera to capture. Next opportunity to capture the two of them close together ( < 2 degrees) is August 9th.

(P.S. Was cloudy at moonrise tonight but got a brief view of the eclipse sometime later).

no, it was stationary , not moving so it was definitely not a plane .

yes it was too much of a contrast for the camera to capture - as it stood it would be a white 'blob' the moon in the original photo. I had to 'merge' with the help of paintshop - here is original :

485468.jpg

I had to 'merge' with the help of paintshop

Uh ... right. What exactly did you 'merge', and how? :eek:

That original image is a whole different kettle of fish to the first one you posted. For starters, the moon is smaller and Jupiter is more like the expected 3 diameters away. And by matching up the light and dark patches in the diffuse streamers around the moon in the two images, I believe your 'merged' moon is the size of the red circle. I think my problem may be solved. :pac:

M92clYr.png

Uh ... right. What exactly did you 'merge', and how? :eek:

That original image is a whole different kettle of fish to the first one you posted. For starters, the moon is smaller and Jupiter is more like the expected 3 diameters away. And by matching up the light and dark patches in the diffuse streamers around the moon in the two images, I believe your 'merged' moon is the size of the red circle. I think my problem may be solved. :pac:

M92clYr.png

ah right, sorry if it duped you an put your dimensions out somewhat.

I (at the same time) took 2 pictures , that what you see with the overexposed 'blob' of a moon, and I pre-empted that it was going to be over exposed so I also took a close up of the moon at that time too.

Then I put them both through an old picture editing programme on the laptop, and 'cut; the moon and put it in place of the overexposed moon exactly in its place (to the dimension/size of the original moon in the picture)

Hope that makes sense.

Still means that 'dot' (which is suppose to be Jupiter) was still the same distance from the moon as in the original photo. and when I checked it with an online night sky website for my area and for that particular time, Jupiter was right next to the moon bottom right of it - thats how it confused me it actually being a bit of a distance from the moon...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

The moon is small, and Jupiter is far away? :pac:

ah right, sorry if it duped you an put your dimensions out somewhat.

I ... 'cut; the moon and put it in place of the overexposed moon exactly in its place (to the dimension/size of the original moon in the picture)

Looks like the pasted moon was about 50% bigger than the original (shown by comparing streamers in the two photos). No worries -- at least it was an educational wild goose chase. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭josip

That was impressive

Advertisement