Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyslexia at University

• 12-07-2019 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am dyslexic and will hopefully be going to college in September. I am worried about how my dyslexia will affect my college work. Does anyone have any suggestions or tactics that might help or that worked for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What (if any) level of help did you have at school? Did you have any provision made at LC? Would you look for help at university or would you prefer to try and get through by yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jenn_1234

I didn't get any support in school. I think I would rather try to get through it by myself if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jenn_1234 wrote:
    I didn't get any support in school. I think I would rather try to get through it by myself if possible!

College is very difficult as a dyslexic, I'd highly recommend getting as much support as possible. I was in ucd for a couple of years, was diagnosed with dyslexia during it, they were extremely helpful after diagnosis, particularly the disability office, I was given an audio recording device called a scribe, one on one help, and software aids, it helped enormously.

I'd highly recommend attending majority of your classes, so that the audio of the classes can be recorded, for repeated playback. Interaction with lectures and fellow classmates is critical, ask lecturers if it is okay to record classes, they ll be fine with this, as others will probably be doing it also.

Study groups with fellow classmates might also help

Assignments can come thick and fast, so keep timetables of when they are due, don't put them off until the last minute, continually keep plugging away at them when theyve been given to you, ask for help from wherever you can get it during this process.

Watch your diet, sleep, and regularly exercise, this will help a lot with stress.

Join some clubs and societies while there, college isn't all about work, it should be fun also.

I wish you the very best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jenn_1234

Thank you for the information!

Was there anything in particular that you found difficult during your time studying? I think my course will have a lot of essays- I sometimes find it hard to get ideas on paper. Is this something you came across and if so, have you any advice on things that might help?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Decide on the main points that should be covered in the essay - read the topic and make sure what you are doing is relevant.
    Put them down as headings.
    Make 'bullet points' under each heading about what you need to say.
    Check back and refer to the topic again and see if it all makes sense and is in a sensible/suitable order.
    Turn the headings and bullet points into proper sentences, adding additional sentences and phrases to join them up into smooth ideas.
    Write a short introduction about the topic and a conclusion at the end.

This is a perfectly reasonable guide for anyone, with or without dyslexia.

From what you have written here you write very good, coherent, well organised English - just do more of the same! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jenn_1234 wrote:
    Was there anything in particular that you found difficult during your time studying? I think my course will have a lot of essays- I sometimes find it hard to get ideas on paper. Is this something you came across and if so, have you any advice on things that might help?

Yea I have the exact same problem as you, i also struggle to get ideas on paper, the one on one help was brilliant for this. I assume you're starting the course in September, if so, contact the disability office now, explain your situation, and that ll get that processing moving before term begins.

Unfortunately I became overwhelmed by my course, and eventually walked away from it, it was simply too much for me. I suspect I may have gotten as far as I can go in our educational system, level 9, so can't complain.

I also found the student counseling services absolutely brilliant, so if you need it during your studies, use them to.

To be honest, my situation was a little unusual, as I also had undiagnosed ASD as well, so no wonder it all became too much.

I did find the audio recordings extremely helpful, other students were also recording as well, so it was relatively easy to get them if I missed classes, but I wouldn't recommend missing many. I was advised not to write too much during class, try listen and understand what was going on, as I have issues with writing and listening at the same time, I would write very little. I was continuously listening to lectures wherever I could, while commuting, do work at home, wherever, whenever.

Advertisement