Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lighting advice

Options
  • 10-07-2019 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I am looking for some advice with regard to smart lighting. I have most of my home converted to smart lights, mostly Phillips Hue with a few Innr GU10s thrown in. To complete my lights I need 18 E14 Candle type bulbs, divided between 6 units - 2 with 5 bulbs, 2 with 3 bulbs and 2 with 1 bulb. The hue bulbs are too expensive and I am looking at other options namely Ikea bulbs or smart switches.

Firstly the Ikea bulbs. Can these be used with a hue hub or do I need an Ikea hub as well? If they are hue compatible how many bulbs can a Hue hub manage? I have 29 bulbs at the moment.

Now switches. My switches have a neutral wire at the back. I think this is too complex for my needs as there is a wide range of 1, 2 and 4 gang switches involved some of which need 2 way operation.

Overall I think the bulbs are the easiest option, and maybe cheapest, but I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
    Mossie

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have gone with a mixture of Philips Hue and IKEA lamps. Both are compatible with the Philips Hue hub. The IKEA lamps are not as good but they are so much cheaper that they are more that adequate for most areas.

I have 2 Sonoff light switches, both have a neutral so this was easy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭mossie

2011 wrote: »
    I have gone with a mixture of Philips Hue and IKEA lamps. Both are compatible with the Philips Hue hub. The IKEA lamps are not as good but they are so much cheaper that they are more that adequate for most areas.

I have 2 Sonoff light switches, both have a neutral so this was easy for me.

Thanks. I think I'll go with the bulbs, maybe get a few to start with and i can add more if necessary. Writing plugs would not be my thing and getting an electrician in would cost more than all the bulbs.

Advertisement