Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

carers allowance application process

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

fryup wrote: »
    can some please answer my question above, why the big delay

When I rang one day and got through after 45 minutes I told the girl that answered that I had forgotten what I wanted to ask her, and she told me that there were 5 people on duty that day in the Carers section.
    Your application lands in the section and unless you have sent a massive amount of clear medical evidence to prove that the caree needs full time care and attention, then your application has to be sent to the medical examiner in Dublin.
    The medical examiner come to look at the applications about 5 days every month. That’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

and then a case examiner comes to your home? to double check?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

and then a case examiner comes to your home? to double check?

An inspector may come to your house to check if your living arrangements are as you describe them. It’s not every application though. Carers Allowance in particular is quite generous if you count in the fact that it’s indefinite, the free travel and the Carers support grant and the medical card and possibly the HBP so it’s important to fully investigate every application thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Correct me if i'm wrong but from my own experience it's usually the inspector sw who calls to the house to check up on earnings bank statements ect

• Registered Users Posts: 7 catherinebrady

Hi All
    Has anyone received their Carers Grant today yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭BillieT

Hi All
    Has anyone received their Carers Grant today yet

Yes I got it today - Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dmcguq10

Double post

dmcguq10 wrote: »
    Person who I am caring for has a appointment with Consultant at the end of this week. I contacted Carers appeals today and told them that I had an appointment and would it be worthwhile sending off 'updated medical info' and they said of course it would be worthwhile. So I'm planning on posting off a letter from the consultant after we meet.

The lady on the phone said its on the 'final decision' now and it has passed the medical officer. What does this mean exactly as the woman would not elaborate too much?

OK so quick update,

Rang up today and was told its with the deciding officer now. They couldn't give a timeframe on decision though.

Still no decision so phoned up today and was told my claim is been looked at by the deciding officer since 23rd May and i should hear a decision soon.

while awaiting the final decision on CA, am i entitled to supplementary welfare allowance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,820 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

while awaiting the final decision on CA, am i entitled to supplementary welfare allowance ?

I received it a few years back when I was waiting on the decision Fryup .

do they check out your personal savings/bank details?

how long did it take to get it?

how much per week?

Thanks F.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,820 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

how much per week?

Thanks F.

I had to provide a three month bank statement , the Officer organised a payment the week I went in to her and I can't remember the exact payment tbh , sorry .

how much per week?

Thanks F.

You won’t get any SWA if your partner has any decent income or you have any more then 5000 in savings

You won’t get any SWA if your partner has any decent income or you have any more then 5000 in savings

are they very strict about the 5k savings?? i'm borderline 5k

are they very strict about the 5k savings?? i'm borderline 5k

Anymore then €5000 and you are outside the means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

splinter65 wrote: »
    Anymore then €5000 and you are outside the means.

For most SW payments the amount in savings is anything more than 20k before it affects your claim and even then it is incrementally reduced. I'm not sure if this is the same for SWO - your best bet is to approach them and ask - don't leave yourself struggling and (this might sound facetious) don't just take the word of us on the internet ;)

Pretzill wrote: »
    For most SW payments the amount in savings is anything more than 20k before it affects your claim and even then it is incrementally reduced. I'm not sure if this is the same for SWO - your best bet is to approach them and ask - don't leave yourself struggling and (this might sound facetious) don't just take the word of us on the internet ;)

Here it is from the horses mouth!
    Property & Capital

Section 35 of Social Welfare & Pensions Act 2007 provides for an amendment in the manner that capital is assessed for the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme. Property/Savings will be assessed on a weekly basis as follows:

Disregard first € 5,000 of capital value of property/savings
    Assess next € 10,000 @ € 1 per € 1,000
    Assess next € 25,000 @ € 2 per € 1,000
    Assess remaining capital over € 40,000 @ € 4 per € 1,000.

splinter65 wrote: »

Disregard first € 5,000 of capital value of property/savings
    Assess next € 10,000 @ € 1 per € 1,000
    Assess next € 25,000 @ € 2 per € 1,000
    Assess remaining capital over € 40,000 @ € 4 per € 1,000.

Assess next € 10,000 @ € 1 per € 1,000 :confused: in layman's english..what exactly does that mean?

Assess next € 10,000 @ € 1 per € 1,000 :confused: in layman's english..what exactly does that mean?

If you have €6000 in the bank then you will be assessed as having €10 and €10 will be knocked off your SWA of €201.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

so if you have 6k in saving.....you'll receive 191 per week, 7k you'll receive 181 per week and so on ???

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

so if you have 6k in saving.....you'll receive 191 per week, 7k you'll receive 181 per week and so on ???

No if you’ve 6k you’ll get 191 if you’ve 7k you’ll get 181 if you’ve 8k you’ll get 131 if you’ve 10k you’ll get €51 SWA

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

no, you are allowed 5k, so you loose €1 for 6k.

Still no decision so I phoned up this morning and was told again its at the final decision and I will either be called in for a meeting with a appeals officer or just granted without an appeal

i've just received news saying i've been rejected?

how do go about the appeal process? a letter in writing? will i still be entitled to supplementary allowance while appealing?

i've just received news saying i've been rejected?

how do go about the appeal process? a letter in writing? will i still be entitled to supplementary allowance while appealing?

You applied for Carers Allowance and you’ve been refused.
    Who are you caring for and why did they refuse you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

My wife just got the same rejection letter.
    Failed means testing by €30.56

She is caring for her father full time (we had to move him in with us)
    Any advice as to what to do next? Is she entitled to nothing?
    The letter advised applying for homemakers scheme, is that another 6 month process?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

DeadParrot wrote: »

The letter advised applying for homemakers scheme, is that another 6 month process?

If that's what the letter said, then surely there must be some leway? Either phone them and ask the question (ask to speak to the supervisor) and ask them what they suggest (nicely - they are general nice people there) Ask if contacting your local TD would help?

It's ridiculous to fail by that amount.

DeadParrot wrote: »

The means test is quite generous so their theorem has decided that she doesn’t need financial help while caring for him as you as a couple have enough income.
    There’s no point in appealing on financial grounds unless your financial circumstances have changed since you applied.

• Advertisement

kathleen37 wrote: »
    If that's what the letter said, then surely there must be some leway? Either phone them and ask the question (ask to speak to the supervisor) and ask them what they suggest (nicely - they are general nice people there) Ask if contacting your local TD would help?

It's ridiculous to fail by that amount.

The means test is quite generous. Apart from SW payments a couple can have €665 per week and the claimant still get full Carers. It only starts going down the sliding scale at that point and a claimant can still get a small amount of Carers at nearly €800 income per week.
    There has to be a point at which your income deems you ineligible.
    I’m interested as to why you find that “ridiculous”?

Advertisement