Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best intensive Level 6 SNA/ ECCE/pre uni teaching short courses

• 29-04-2019 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this!

I completed my Leaving Cert last year (with mostly higher level grades and all passes) and had been studying ECCE at Level 8 at university but was finding the course hard and hated uni life but so left halfway though First Year at the end of January (and have 30 credits from that).

I still want to work with children (ideally primary teaching but I wouldn’t be able for that) but the idea of doing a full-time academic course and being in a college environment doesn’t appeal to me so ideally I’d do an early years/ teaching assistant/ childcare apprenticeship but since they’re aren’t any of them here in Ireland, I’ve decided that maybe I could do a short Level 6 SNA or ECCE course, and came across Level 6 SNA ones by the Progressive College and the Portobello Institute that can be completed in one intensive week and has no formal entry requirements (the Portobello one says you must have done a Level 5 (which I haven’t done) but since I have a Leaving Cert and did a bit of ECCE at uni, I’d be hoping that that would be enough to get in)

Here’s the link to those particular websites and courses;

https://progressivecollege.ie/course/special-needs-assistant-training-qqi-level-6/

https://www.portobelloinstitute.ie/booking/specialneeds_l5_intenstive/

And I was just wondering is the Progressive College, the Portobello Institute, the Dorset College, the Chevron Institute and other places like them and their courses reputable and worthwhile and would they help me to get a job as a SNA/ classroom assistant or as an Early Years worker? I’m not complaining but it seems to be a very quick way of getting a Level 6 qualification compared to other places and I had never heard of most of those colleges so would want to be sure that I’d be doing a worthwhile and recognised course and that it would help me to get a job.

And would I have to source my own work placement for it or would that be imbedded into it?

The Progressive College SNA one is cheaper but only gives you a Level 6 component certificate whereas the Portobello Institute SNA one is dearer but gives you a Level 6 minor award.

So I’m just wondering what is the difference between these two awards and courses and other SNA courses offered by other places and which one would be the better one to do, the Minor Award or the Component Certificate (I know the major one is the best one but I can’t find any major SNA ones)?

And do ye know if I’d be able to get into a Level 6 course without having done a Level 5 one but having completed my Leaving Cert (mostly at higher level) and did one semester at college?

And could I use the credits I’d earn from them (I think each of those courses are only worth 15 credits each?) and the 30 credits I have from my time at uni to put towards a full Level 6 (or higher) major award in ECCE/Special Needs Assisting?

And is there any other intensive Level 6 ECCE/ SNA intensive short courses or apprenticeships (ideally in North Tipp or Limerick but I’d be willing to travel if not) that would lead to the same or better qualifications and recognitions?

I also like the idea of this kind of course but unfortunately I don’t think there’s any part-time/ intensive options, especially near me

Link; http://www.scfe.ie/pre-university-primary-and-post-primary-teacher-training/

And do ye have any idea of good and recognised First Aid and Sign Language courses that I could do along with them?

And what is the general duties, day-to-day life and pay for SNAs and ECCE workers like?

And just in general, is there any such thing as general classroom/teaching assistants in Ireland that just help out with the day-to-day running of the class and groups of people rather than just working with individual people or small groups of people? The classroom/ teaching assistants in the UK seem to be more general classroom helps so was just wondering was there anything similar here in Ireland?

Sorry for all of the questions, I’m just so clueless about the whole process and what each qualification actually means/represents so I want to make sure that I’m fully informed about everything involved with it all and go about it in the best way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭bearamy98

Oh and would I need to have completed a Level 5 course before doing any of these Level 6 ones or would my Leaving Cert (which was all passes at mostly higher level) and my one semester at uni be enough to ‘qualify’ me to do a Level 6 course without having done a relevant Level 5 one first?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Black Cherry

Mightn't be what you're after but my friend did a level 5 (major award) SNA course in PLC in Blackrock. Think it was 4 mornings a week. Small class and she got offered paid subbing work during the course from her work exp placement. If you're interested I could find out more from her

I’m in North Tipp so 4 mornings a week in Dublin isn’t a runner for me but that course sounds good-but I didn’t think they had any full/ major Award SNA courses?

And I’d ideally prefer to do a Level 6 Award to make it more worth my while going to all the effort of it.

Thanks for your advice though, it’s good to know that there are various options out there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact your local ETB (used to be VEC). Their Adult Ed. Director will know what is available locally.
    ETB courses are generally full awards and substantially cheaper than the ones run by businesses.

Thanks for that!

I think I sent them an enquiry the other day (at this stage I’ve sent a good few so have forgotten who I was meant to send messages to versus who I actually sent messages to!) so hopefully they might be able to help me out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ceo

I have just completed Level 6 SNA with Portobello. I did the Level 5 SNA before Christmas. It was 1 night a week from 7 until 10 for 12 weeks with assignments to be handed in on the last night.

For me without completing Level 5 I would have been lost in Level 6. It wasn't that Level 6 was based on a continuation but having put the work in in Level 5 I was more prepared for Level 6.

I had to find my own work experience for both course's. Once Garda Vetting was approved most schools were very happy to take me on.

I did both primary and secondary school. It was for 1 week where you really get an inside view of how much work an SNA does and how wonderful it is to work with children and teenagers with educational needs.

Thanks for that!

How did you find the course and Portobello itself?

Advertisement