Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heating oil big drop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭seanin4711

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭celt262

Any dip in prices expected or is it going to stay around what it is now?

i haven't had the heating on yet but no doubt in a week or two it will need to go on. I probably have a months worth it the tank

• Gradually drifting down as far as I can see and don’t know if I see anything that will reverse that. Another €20 knocked off 500l this week. I can see the pressures continuing to ease, and the prices continuing to drop, but what do I know. I’ve the luxury of watching from the sidelines as have a winters worth in the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭celt262

I wonder will it stay like that as demand is going to rise as the evenings shorten and the days cools down. I think i will just bite the bullet and buy and get it in the next week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Corrib oil 14/09 - Delivery in co. Limerick

500/1000

€670/€1320

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

You guys know this site exists, right?

https://www.oilprices.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

that site doesn't cover all suppliers - there's only 2 listed for my county for example (and both are usually more expensive than the others)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

I prefer 'cheapestoil' as it shows you when the company last updated the price.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

But it always seems to say "last checked 5 minutes ago" no matter what time of day or night you look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

both sites are about a week behind price movements and don't cover smaller outlets. Completely useless

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

cant find any online oil suppliers that beat those shown on cheapestoil.ie (Looking in the Cork Area) seems 1.34per lt for 500

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sparkles2012

Just going from the Tria Oil Website for Cork today its gone down to €655 for 500 Litres. Just seen on the cheapestoil website that Tria Oil & Amber Oil have a €15.00 off Discount Code. Use Tria15 for Tria and Amber15 for Amber Oil. It dosent say how long this discount code is valid until.

Caseys Circle K in Roscommon have kero advertised at 1.24.9/L in last Friday's Roscommon People newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is that a pump price though? The delivered price is normally much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Cheapestoil.ie is updated by the suppliers themselves. It with say "last updated" beside the price. This allows you know whether its a very recent price that you can depend on or one that is a few days old.

At this minute looking at Kildare, it has last updated from "10 minutes ago" to "2 days ago" . Its the go to website for comparison, so companies will be updating very regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Savetheplanet

Companies only update regularly when the price is going up, if you look at the site everyday and pay attention to the relevant factors that dictate the price it never follows that prices go down when everything else is going down. Bottom line is gouging from all involved to make up for Covid loses. I have seen prices on that website stay static for weeks while prices fluctuate and it's not because they bought at a high price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Glebee

Due 500l next week, dropping slowly buy surely back to prices from middle of last month. Have to bite the bullet next week. Will prices keep going down? Im sure they will think of a good excuse to ramp it up again when winter demand kick in. Cost below based on Corrib Oil

13th Aug - 500L = 640euro

30th Aug - 500L = 700euro

16th Sep - 500L = 665euro.

Funny that - Qfuels were €1290 yesterday evening, they are €1283 today. €1 below capital oil.

Check a few of my posts. I can be quite accurate on what price will be a few days ahead - up and down. I called it at 1200 that it was going to jump to over 1300 within days. I also called out the indo when they said petrol was going to go over €2 a couple of weeks ago and said petrol would DROP to average below €1.80. Guess what - it dropped to av €1.80

On 1000L a company will have a gross profit of about €70 - €90, sometimes even less. That's before any costs whatsoever. And in most cases their storage tanks will hold under 40,000 litres. (literally about 40 1000L deliveries and that's if they fill it to the brim) They also get very little credit in that they are paying 7 days later (standard industry practice)

Working out the prices is extremely easy. Its probably the easiest retailed price to work out every single cent, but still you have some people that will say "gougers" or some other really stupid remark.

Here's how utterly simple it is

Oil price (brent oil and price available on thousands of websites) + Refining price (again, easy to find on Thompsons Reuters or on refining company websites such as Neste. (has dropped in the last couple of days to $47 - was almost $60 last week)

Divide this by 159 (that's how many litres are in a barrel. (its an actual measurement - oil doesn't actually come in a barrel)

Divide by rate of exchange. US Dollar to Euro (currently parity, so even someone who spurts comments like "gouging" can calculate this - I hope)

Add carbon tax 10.38c per litre (available on revenue.ie)

Add NORA levy 2c (it pays to ensure the country holds 90 days supply at all times)

Add 13.5% vat

That's it in terms of cost.

The balance (ex vat) is between importer and distributor.

See, it is so simple, even those who bandy about stupid words like gouging / rip-off could actually get to a correct figure.

The only thing to note is oil prices take 10 - 14 days to feed in, refining price takes 3-5 days to feed in and exchange rate differences take 2-3 days to feed in.

Todays figures - Brent (last Friday) $94, refining (today) $47, exchange 1/1, price per litre from a refinery TODAY = 88.7c (euro)

Carbon tax + NORA = 12.38c

Total cost = €1.01

add VAT @ 13.5% - €1.145. So if you wanted 500,000 litres and bypassed all the importers and distributors, you would be paying €1,145 per 1,000 litres.

Lets add 10-15c per litre for importer (4-5c) & local distributor (balance) (+ vat brings this to 11.35c - 17c) and this comes to €1258 - €1320 per 1,000 litres as next week's price.

Check Cheapest oil next week and see how accurate this is - it really is this easy. Now try working out the part costs of any other retailed product and see if its this easy to find exact part costs of every step?

• Advertisement

About €10 will come off next week.

no-one knows what will happen the following week. Ireland is a miniscule minnow in the world of fuel consumption. A huge number of european industrial fuel users who still have the ability to switch from gas to oil (including power generators) are causing the huge demand for diesel/kerosene and refining costs are still $45-$50 (down from $65 3 weeks ago, but up from the low of $33 on Aug 11th). Normal refining margin is $8-$12, but we're not in normal times

(A) I'm not stupid (B) I'm not spouting (C) I have read ALL of your posts on numerous threads and finally (D) you actually don't know as much as you like to think you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Not sure if it's whatever browser you're using but at the moment for Dublin it ranges from 'Updated 4 minutes ago' to 'Updated 3 days ago' for me.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Doing a tidy out of a drawer and found an invoice dated 22-4-2020.

Filled my tank with 966 lites of kerosene for €425.

Those were the days my friends!

Ps - thanks to Walterking for the last few posts. Every day is a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I still think walterking is bringing more factual information to third thread than anyone else

That may be correct but it still does not excuse the fact he regularly implies posters are stupid and idiots who know nothing about how markets work and is always arguing on the side of the companies or industries in question to justify why prices are not inflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

It was a complement to Walter.

And an observation on the posts of (some) others who just chant buzz words.

It's very easy to come on here, and just make a broad statement with no substance.

In fairness Walter backs up his statements with data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Steven81

Going back to the bargain alerts thread

On top oil website 1000l is 1234.99 and adding in Autumn22 gives a 20euro discount giving you 1214.99.

500l comes in at 619.99 and Autumn22 or Discount10 will bring it to 609.99.

Hopes this helps someone as they are a lot cheaper than anyone else i could find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Glebee

Thanks, 45euro cheaper than any of my local lads for 500L

Advertisement