Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guide to Premiership Football on satellite

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

been looking at the tv guide on their site, but at the moment it only goes as far as 14 august for the sports channels, so hopefully sometime in the next week the guide will be updated and may give us an idea of what'll be on for the first week anyway.

do you have the card already byte? do most of the movies have english audio? if they do then at least if the sport side doesn't work out too well, all will not be lost!
    Yeah, I have the card already.

Most of the movies are in English (provided the original language of the movie is English). Lot of stuff on Canal+ in English too like the Simpsons, etc.

It looks like they'll be leaving it rather late before releasing schedules for the sports channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Sorry if this is a repost but i found this site to be helpful when it comes to which card to get for football. _http://www.lj-sport.com/Channels/EPL_breakdown.html

Shows who has rites to what and when. get your heard round the key and its sweet.

1Love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

going to get ART magreb.

any ideas please

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Pal wrote: »
    going to get ART magreb.

any ideas please

I was also looking into this channel, the 12 month card is cheap enough and gives all Sky and ESPN games as well as some midweek games which are not on sky or espn. I heard the the picture quality is not the best, can anyone confirm this and also commentary is french only, but i am not to bothered with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I was also looking into this channel, the 12 month card is cheap enough and gives all Sky and ESPN games as well as some midweek games which are not on sky or espn. I heard the the picture quality is not the best, can anyone confirm this and also commentary is french only, but i am not to bothered with that.
    Picture is not great, French commentary.

Digitalb is fine m8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭curious guy

sorry lads been reading the thread and kinda confused ...i came looking for an answer to this question..

right my uncle has a pub and I think it would be good for business if he could get the premiership matches..

what would be the most reliable and cost effective method of getting some of the matches especially the top team matches..?

all suggestions welcome

what would be the most reliable and cost effective method of getting some of the matches especially the top team matches..?

most reliable is porobably Sky because you have support if anything goes wrong.

most cost effective I think is ART

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭brimur69

Sorry if this is off topic but is there a web site I can look at that lists who (Sky,Setanta,ESPN or other) is showing various matches? Something like the Sky calendar but with all channels listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

liveonsat.com

most cost effective I think is ART[/quote]

how much would ART cost?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

most cost effective I think is ART

how much would ART cost?[/QUOTE]

Think its 99 pounds for the card.

Thanks so card €99 thats for 12 months I presume what else do you need and how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭brimur69

liveonsat.com

Cheers for that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Hi there

Dont laugh but im thinking of getting some satellite to show as many games as possible. Maybe Spanish, German, Italian an EPL.

Starting from scratch what is the cheapest way of obtaining this? I have the sky dish but havent subscribed to sky.

Will I need a new dish? Also who do I get onto in relation to installation for the cheapest way to watch football?

Its prob mad expensive to get all the leagues I mentioned but the premiership would do me.

Any help you guys could give me would be great

Hi there

Dont laugh but im thinking of getting some satellite to show as many games as possible. Maybe Spanish, German, Italian an EPL.
    That's quite a bit. What usually tends to happen is you buy a card for lets say Premiere Germany or Sky Germany as its known now because they are showing the EPL 3pm games. It just happens that they show Bundesliga too so you're on a bonus. But wait. You want la Liga too. Time to get another card for that.
    Starting from scratch what is the cheapest way of obtaining this?
    The cheapest is an ART card at £125
    Go to marconidigital.com and they will list everything an ART card shows.
    I have the sky dish but havent subscribed to sky.

Will I need a new dish?
    yes
    Also who do I get onto in relation to installation for the cheapest way to watch football?

Its prob mad expensive to get all the leagues I mentioned but the premiership would do me.

Any help you guys could give me would be great

Cut to the chase here.
    You need an entry level but there a huge amount of choice out there.

My suggestion :
    Buy a TM1500 box online for under a 100
    Buy an ART card.
    Stick the card in the box.
    Get Tony at satellite.ie to supply install an 80cm dish for you pointing at Hotbird.
    Stick the cable from the dish in the TM box.

Bingo.

cheap EPL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

That's quite a bit. What usually tends to happen is you buy a card for lets say Premiere Germany or Sky Germany as its known now because they are showing the EPL 3pm games. It just happens that they show Bundesliga too so you're on a bonus. But wait. You want la Liga too. Time to get another card for that.

yes

Cut to the chase here.

My suggestion :
    Buy an ART card.
    Get Tony at satellite.ie to supply install an 80cm dish for you pointing at Hotbird.

Bingo.

cheap EPL

Get an Al JAzeera card too and you'll have all the sports (Football) you'll ever need for less than a months sub to ESPN/SLY/SULTANA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hi there

Starting from scratch what is the cheapest way of obtaining this? I have the sky dish but havent subscribed to sky.

One card to rule them all !!!!!!!!!!!

Digitalb

http://69.46.27.82/~alsatoff/enter/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=30&Itemid=26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

yes

Cut to the chase here.

My suggestion :
    Buy an ART card.

Bingo.

cheap EPL

HI again,

Thanks a million for the detailed and considered response and advice.

Would ya be able to tell me one more thing, how long does this card last for?

it seems when you take the price of the dish, card, box and installation into account it may even be cheaper to get sky!

What kind of a yearly saving would you be looking at annually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Strongbow, I'm on Digitalb 16e which shows all Sky Sports & ESPN games Live & in English, has CL & EL Live, Italian, French & Spanish Live also. You wont get 3pm games Live with this but you will get mid-week & Sunday games Live that are not Live on Sky or ESPN. Boxing too - Its saving me €400 quid a year on Sky & ESPN.

The best packages on the European beams are Canal + Nordic & Sky Italia, they have (3) 3pm's at least on Saturday & most other games Live, they will cost you an absolute fortune, Sky Germany are just behind them but are not great on the 3pms.

I've seen ART on 13e & the picture is a pile of c**p, french audio also.

It's up to you m8 - but Digitalb even without the 3pms for the price is hard to beat.

PM me if you need a hand in the set-up m8

If you can install your self a receiver and dish will cost no more than 120 to buy. Sky is around 1,000e a year so the total cost is no where near the price of sky/espn/setanta. Its a once off payment for the equiptment and every 12 months for the viewing card.

If you can get a cheap deal on a digitalb card thats the best bet.

Alsat shop on ebay where doing a 12 month digitalb card and a reciever with PVR for £229. A bargin. You would just need to get a dish pointed at 16 east (80cm at least)

• Advertisement

it may even be cheaper to get sky!

Sky Sports pack + ESPN for 1 year = €1,008

Thats expensive.

DIY solutions for Premier League can be comfortably less than half of this for the first year including buying all the equipment. For future years, you only need buy a new card.

There's one thing you need to know about Digitalb but bearing in mind that you're a newbie I will explain in dumbed down terms so apologies to others reading.

Digitalb comes from a satellite called EUTELSAT.
    Thats positioned in the sky at 16 degrees east of south.
    Look at the midday sun.
    This is close to where your dish must be pointed.
    You will then pick up this satellite and no other.
    Consequently you will get the channels that this satellite carries.
    I'm afraid that's where it ends.
    Apart from the Digitalb channels (which you will see because you are paying for), there's not much more free stuff that you will get.
    Heres the list. You will get the free tv channels shown in yellow.
    http://www.lyngsat.com/16east.html
    A load of rubbish really.
    That said, Digitalb package of channels is brilliant.
    If its Premier League you want, then its hard to beat.

For other reasons you might choose ART.
    ART is on another satellite called HOTBIRD which has a lot more to offer.
    You get lots of options with HOTBIRD to switch, upgrade or mix to other cards
    such as SKY Italy, CANAL + or ALJAZEERA
    You also get lots of decent free channels.
    You can easily add a second or third sat to your dish too if you are pointing at HOTBIRD and you open up quite an expanse of TV from all over Europe.
    On UEFA Cup nights, there are tons of matches on free.

You can also add other sats to a EUTELSAT setup but its tricky.
    3 degrees of separation anyone.

Theres no one size fits all solution.
    The subject matter is vast and a bit of homework before you buy anything will go a long way.
    Its really up to you as to what do you want.

I should add that ART is actually quite crap. Used be the best pack about. Now its the worst. They lost a lot of their broadcasting rights. Not great quality picture. One channel for Premier League. 7 channels for incessant dollops of muck football from the Middle East. Its the options to add more TV that makes this solution attractive IMO. ART is also very cheap and makes for a good entry level. And it has MUTV and Chelsea TV too.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

Just wondering how good has Cyfra+ HD coverage been so far this season?
    What CAM do you need for their card?
    The Art Sports picture quality has been so bad I was looking at some alternatives. It's worse than a good internet stream.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

guys noone seems to have mentioned nova and nova hd on 23.5 east. superb full screen picture in hd and it shows all midweek an early, a 3pm and an evening kickoff on saturdays and all sunday games

yeah but that is probably because the card costs a small fortune.

worth every penny - not that expensive

irishchris wrote: »
    worth every penny - not that expensive

Is this the Greek Nova which you are talking about as that Nova package is about €1,000 on most website which sell it ?

no mate its the nova czech - different package. all matches superb quality english commentary

irishchris wrote: »
    no mate its the nova czech - different package. all matches superb quality english commentary

Aye a bit of digging on lyngsat I found it. Do you know what online shops sell the card? How much is a sports package going to cost ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

yellabelly wrote: »
    Just wondering how good has Cyfra+ HD coverage been so far this season?
    What CAM do you need for their card?
    The Art Sports picture quality has been so bad I was looking at some alternatives. It's worse than a good internet stream.
    Thanks
    To be quite honest, I have watched very little on Cyfra+ HD except the Film HD channel. The lack of English comms is offputting. I'd even be happy if they'd have one of their streams having pitch noise only, but no, both have Polish commentary.

Have to say, while it doesn't have EPL (maybe it'll steal it off Showtime?), Al Jazeera Sport channels have been superb. Digitalb seems to have upped their act this year too.

• Advertisement

I've watched most of cyfras hd games with radio delayed 5 live. the man city game tonight was fantastic quality picture

Advertisement