Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Not sure if this is correct place to post but I've no other way of checking; is anyone in Carlow Town having Virgin Media Broadband issues this evening?

Constant buffering, pics out of sync with audio & freezing.

Have unplugged modem/did a reset; no point ringing 1908 as their CS is closed since 5 O'Clock, 6pm or maybe 9. No automated recorded message of an outage; it has the hallmarks of a DDOS due to its stuttering.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Just got 9months half price (250mb and home phone)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

So after no one rang me back and chat said there was no record of that, rang loyalty again and get to keep what I have and with 6 months at half price, I'm delighted with that. Hopefully next year I can go the road of SIRO.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I got offered 9 months €15 off on my 360mb, turned that down, then offered 6 months half price and have turned that down also. I had a 6 month half price in this current contract which is up in 2 weeks, so I told them straight out that only way I’ll be staying is if they offered me 9 months half price. He wouldn’t budge so I’ve started the cancellation process, I’ll buzz them in a couple of weeks and chance them again then. I think the issue is I only have one service with them these days, cancelled the phone last year.

Just did a Speedtest with Ookla; the stats're grim enough & I think that's what's causing the RTE Player to buffer maybe?

38 Ping 23.52 D/L & 24 U/L....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Just did a Speedtest with Ookla; the stats're grim enough & I think that's what's causing the RTE Player to buffer maybe?

8ms ping
    102.8mb d/l
    38.6 mb u/l

Thats from a minute ago on a 500mbps connection
    Seems like download is getting throttled?

RTÉ player always buffers unless you are watching ads, it’s the biggest pile of ****e ever

360mb on VM

E85-C6-C01-0-F57-4056-8-B77-362-FF46-B63-B9.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

Got Siro 1GB installed this week 35 a month . Virgin 360MB contract Ending next month so rang Virgin on Monday to give my 30 notice to cancel.

Virgin offering me 1GB plan for 42.5 for 9 month and full 80 for last 3 months , not as competitive but tempted to cancel my SIro in the cooling off period.

So far the Siro has been strong coverage wise , 950mb wired but only 350-400 on WiFi at best which is poor when fixed line is 1GB. Virgin 360mb getting me anywhere between 150-250 normally but can down to 60-70 at peak evenings . it’s 360 all the time since I phoned to cancel ��

Anyone have thoughts on the virgin 1GB? Appreciate any reviews

bdmc5 wrote: »
    Got Siro 1GB installed this week 35 a month . Virgin 360MB contract Ending next month so rang Virgin on Monday to give my 30 notice to cancel.

Virgin offering me 1GB plan for 42.5 for 9 month and full 80 for last 3 months , not as competitive but tempted to cancel my SIro in the cooling off period.

So far the Siro has been strong coverage wise , 950mb wired but only 350-400 on WiFi at best which is poor when fixed line is 1GB. Virgin 360mb getting me anywhere between 150-250 normally but can down to 60-70 at peak evenings . it’s 360 all the time since I phoned to cancel ��

If they offered me that deal on the 1GB deal I’d take it also. I might change them again tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

8ms ping
    102.8mb d/l
    38.6 mb u/l

Thats from a minute ago on a 500mbps connection
    Seems like download is getting throttled?

I’m getting
    12ms ping
    159 Dl
    51ul

pc7 wrote: »
    I’m getting
    12ms ping
    159 Dl
    51ul

I'm on 240 MB; would there be a reason for it to be getting throttled?

All that uses it is laptop & it & modem're looking at each other; about 2-3 metres away like?

Unplugged modem & now it's 11 Ping 55.87 D/L & 23.46 U/L......still not within an asses roar of what I should be getting & RTE Player is unwatchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

bdmc5 wrote: »

Why would you consider going back to Virgin, pricewise it's €35 a month against €51 for 12 months, 350-400MB on Wifi should be fine for whatever you are using it for even if it is 1GB on fixed line?

Tried three different advisors today, none of which would do an offer on their 1GB BB for me, 2 of the three actually said that the system won’t allow offers to be applied to that package for existing customers. I was offered a new modem and an upgrade to the 500mb pack from my current one 360 and a 9 month half price offer on that.

I think I may actually take that. Don’t feel like wasting another hour haggling with them for a package which they are saying doesn’t have any discounts available for. It’s not as if I can actually leave them either as FTTH or Siri isn’t yet available to my address, max speed through phone line here is 90mb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Tried three different advisors today, none of which would do an offer on their 1GB BB for me, 2 of the three actually said that the system won’t allow offers to be applied to that package for existing customers. I was offered a new modem and an upgrade to the 500mb pack from my current one 360 and a 9 month half price offer on that.

I think I may actually take that. Don’t feel like wasting another hour haggling with them for a package which they are saying doesn’t have any discounts available for. It’s not as if I can actually leave them either as FTTH or Siri isn’t yet available to my address, max speed through phone line here is 90mb

I'd take that in a flash, 1 Gig is giving a good bit of hassle. You keep your present modem for 500 meg.

Is it the new modem which is giving issue or just the 1gig service as he was on about sending out the new modem type.

Is it the new modem which is giving issue or just the 1gig service as he was on about sending out the new modem type.

That I couldn't be certain about. There's a thread on boards about it. What modem do you have? Is it the white hub 3?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That I couldn't be certain about. There's a thread on boards about it. What modem do you have? Is it the white hub 3?

Yeah, I have the hub 3.0 i ran them up and accepted their deal. I just ran a Speedtest there now and it looks like a upgrade has been put through. I’m unsure what to do about the new modem thought. I have a mesh system installed around the house and it’s working perfectly so I’m reluctant to change things now.

7249-E740-2623-4-B9-C-861-E-B0483660-BE6-C.png

Yeah, I have the hub 3.0 i ran them up and accepted their deal. I just ran a Speedtest there now and it looks like a upgrade has been put through. I’m unsure what to do about the new modem thought. I have a mesh system installed around the house and it’s working perfectly so I’m reluctant to change things now.

7249-E740-2623-4-B9-C-861-E-B0483660-BE6-C.png

Are they definitely going to send you a new modem? I'd ring them and tell them you don't want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Why would you consider going back to Virgin, pricewise it's €35 a month against €51 for 12 months, 350-400MB on Wifi should be fine for whatever you are using it for even if it is 1GB on fixed line?

I’ve had VM now for 2 years and odd frustration aside it’s been very solid. I was very curious to try Siro but a week in it’s underwhelming and I’m still angry where they installed the point where I told them not too when leaving for work.

Also virgin installed 2 points in house , one upstairs and one downstairs so that offers great flexibility. The Vodafone point is dead centre of house in hallway which offers solid signal across the house as opposed to virgin box but was mistake putting it there as no use for hardwiring anything and it’s ugly enough with wires without adding Philips Hue bridges and cables on top. Virgin points are much more discrete.

It’s a pity virgin can’t just send me a box, an tech must come and install on 5th nov outside my 2 week Vodafone cooling off period so must decide one or the other as opposed to have testing both same time. I’m likely to cancel the SIRO for now and give the virgin 1GB a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Hi,

I was on a current offer of 49.50 for 10 months and 99e for the last two months with VM, 500mb broadband, tv and phone. I called today to ask about renewal deals as I have SIRO available. I was told SIRO was slow and VM was the fastest. I was offered 49.50 for 9 months this time and 99 for the remaining three?

Anyone get anything better? They quoted SIRO fair usage policy of 1TB download per month and said VM doesnt have a limit. I checked and Digiweb SIRO is 2tB.

Anyone else any better luck?

My Sky 100Mb contract is up next month so I've started shopping around. I'm looking at 500Mb SIRO packages and a 1TB FUP would be an issue. ;) I checked the T's & C's on the Vodafone website and it looks like they updated them in May and took out the FUP. Is this true? If so then it looks to be a steal @ €30/month

My BB Speeds with VM're varying all over the gaffe at all different times of day; Techie was here during week; said no problem, that the speed was fine.

Rang Tech Support today, after enduring an hour & 7 minutes on hold (at least it was a free if mind-numbingly boring & repetitive time on hold.....) the guy (Irish call centre) said Night Flight'd be out with a new modem during the week which **should** resolve the situation.

With my October bill going out Tuesday I'm thinking of giving Vodafone a go now & for more reasons than just price; my IT Guy maintains 1. it's RTE Player & to reduce the Ps (?) I'm watching it at/on & 2. That my Google Chrome is fine, that the BB Speeds shouldn't be so erratic not to talk about dropping for no reason completely.

My BB Speeds with VM're varying all over the gaffe at all different times of day; Techie was here during week; said no problem, that the speed was fine.

Rang Tech Support today, after enduring an hour & 7 minutes on hold (at least it was a free if mind-numbingly boring & repetitive time on hold.....) the guy (Irish call centre) said Night Flight'd be out with a new modem during the week which **should** resolve the situation.

With my October bill going out Tuesday I'm thinking of giving Vodafone a go now & for more reasons than just price; my IT Guy maintains 1. it's RTE Player & to reduce the Ps (?) I'm watching it at/on & 2. That my Google Chrome is fine, that the BB Speeds shouldn't be so erratic not to talk about dropping for no reason completely.

Rte player is crap simple as that... I don't understand the rest of your post tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Currently on 240 with VM. Am I likely to be able to get an upgrade and a discount?
    Also, if not, is Sky anywhere near 240 in practice? I don't really need an upgrade, at this stage, and I'm already with Sky for tv, and have to give them a call for a better deal anyway, so I'd nearly switch if they're anywhere near VM in practical terms.
    No Siro in my area yet, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

6 months half price on existing basic TV and broadband (slight bump to 250mb from 240mb) is as good as I got today.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Got half price 1000mb broadband for 6 months 42.50 a month for 6 months then 85 for 6 months

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Got half price 1000mb broadband for 6 months 42.50 a month for 6 months then 85 for 6 months

I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what I can wrangle out of them.
    Zero interest in a Gigabit connection- I only have a/c here- 500mb is more than sufficient. I was getting ready to hop- but SIRO isn't available (despite being on their map as available). At very least a decent discount and a new router would be nice- the beige piece of crap is getting more and more erratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

See a good bit of action around my estate lately from KN Circet. Anyone know if they might be upgrading sitcom lines to fibre or what could they be at?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Seve OB wrote: »
    See a good bit of action around my estate lately from KN Circet. Anyone know if they might be upgrading sitcom lines to fibre or what could they be at?

They were in my estate a couple of months ago doing upgrade works for Eir. Installing fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

but SIRO isn't available

Might get a better deal by mentioning Siro is currently way cheaper and see what they give you, doesn't matter if you can't get it yet ;).

Advertisement