Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need to move and get a job

Options
  • 10-06-2021 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

I’m not sure if I am posting in the correct section but it didn’t seem appropriate for Work & Jobs.

I have been out of work for five years. At first it was four to mental health issues but it put in in the right place to look after someone who needed a carer.

He has passed away now and I need to get my own place. I am being put under pressure to move - not nasty pressure, just “can you give me a date you plan to leave so we can have our house back” kind of thing :)

I want to go to Dublin - both as someplace new and I can get the help I need to deal with my mental health.

I also need to get a job so I can pay rent. I don’t know what kind of job I will be able for at first but I have applied for both call centre and warehouse jobs.

Does it make more sense to get a place to live first or should I have a job before applying for a flat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Does it make more sense to get a place to live first or should I have a job before applying for a flat?

Apply for jobs in your area (even a temp will do) and move out asap.
    You have no right to overstay and this situation is getting messy.

Supply and demand in Dublin - manic.
    No one in the right mind will rent to an unemployed person.

Job first, then maybe consider moving to a different county.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

Firstly you would need to ensure you have enough money to cover deposit and rent for the first couple of months.

To rent you will need references and deposit ready to go.

You need to do research as to what part of Dublin you want to live in, can you commute to other areas.

What kind of jobs are available in your skillset.

Talk to a recruiter or contact companies that are hiring.

Not to put you off but Dublin is expensive to rent in and live so make sure you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

uninvited wrote: »
    Apply for jobs in your area (even a temp will do) and move out asap.
    You have no right to overstay and this situation is getting messy.

Supply and demand in Dublin - manic.
    No one in the right mind will rent to an unemployed person.

Job first, then maybe consider moving to a different county.

What do you mean by no right to overstay and this situation is getting messy?

Who said I was going to to overstay ? And who said things are messy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭YellowLead

When I moved into my rented accommodation I needed to provide a written reference from my employer, and I’ve given them out for people before so I think that is the norm. It might be different of course if welfare dependent.

Have you identified specifically which mental health services in Dublin will help you? Or do you just feel because it’s our biggest city that it will have the widest range of professionals?

Dublin is super expensive to live in, and hard to find rental accommodation so if you can consider the surrounds with a view to commuting there to a job, or else other cities such as Cork etc that might also provide the level of service you require, rather than limiting yourself to only Dublin, you might have a better chance of securing both employment and accommodation.

Or you could live and work not too far from Dublin but commute to whatever mental health service is required potentially - if there was a job and accommodation you found somewhere.

2 fast wrote: »
    Firstly you would need to ensure you have enough money to cover deposit and rent for the first couple of months.

To rent you will need references and deposit ready to go.

You need to do research as to what part of Dublin you want to live in, can you commute to other areas.

What kind of jobs are available in your skillset.

Talk to a recruiter or contact companies that are hiring.

Not to put you off but Dublin is expensive to rent in and live so make sure you can afford it.

It has to be Dublin. I need access to the doctor who treated me when I was younger. And I love cinema and Dublin gets movies the rest of the country does not - things to do like that are a great help.

Like the poster before you said - no one will rent to an unemployed person - but would an employer give a job to a person not currently living there?

A deposit isn’t a problem but who would I get a reference from? The last person I rented from was in Germany - that person or just some one who knows me well?

• Advertisement

YellowLead wrote: »
    When I moved into my rented accommodation I needed to provide a written reference from my employer, and I’ve given them out for people before so I think that is the norm. It might be different of course if welfare dependent.

Have you identified specifically which mental health services in Dublin will help you? Or do you just feel because it’s our biggest city that it will have the widest range of professionals?

Dublin is super expensive to live in, and hard to find rental accommodation so if you can consider the surrounds with a view to commuting there to a job, or else other cities such as Cork etc that might also provide the level of service you require, rather than limiting yourself to only Dublin, you might have a better chance of securing both employment and accommodation.

Or you could live and work not too far from Dublin but commute to whatever mental health service is required potentially - if there was a job and accommodation you found somewhere.

It does have to be Dublin but living and working outside would be okay. Earlier I was trying to find around Dublin but I couldn’t focus on finding them on the job search sites.

Well maybe it doesn’t “have to be” but at this point I can’t imagine any other doctor helping me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭YellowLead

It depends on what industry you are aiming for also. Plenty of employment at the moment is working from home for another few months which would give you time to start and then find accommodation a little bit more at your leisure.
    But it all depends where your experience lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

There are clerical positions in civil service.

Have a look at publicjobs.ie

If you got in prob loads of opportunities.

btw.. I don’t work in civil service

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Well maybe it doesn’t “have to be” but at this point I can’t imagine any other doctor helping me.

Have you actually engaged with this doctor yet? It seems a bit odd that living in Dublin is a prerequisite for them to treat you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

When applying for jobs in Dublin, can you put a Dublin address on your cv, just so it will appear you are already living there.
    You will appear a safer hire from an employers point of view rather than somebody not living there.

There are clerical positions in civil service.

Have a look at publicjobs.ie

If you got in prob loads of opportunities.

btw.. I don’t work in civil service

Isn’t the civil service very difficult to get into?

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Have you actually engaged with this doctor yet? It seems a bit odd that living in Dublin is a prerequisite for them to treat you.

Yes I have and it isn’t a condition set down by him that I need to live in Dublin.

Travelling from here to there for these meetings would be very difficult for me, and I want to move from here anyway.

Esse85 wrote: »
    When applying for jobs in Dublin, can you put a Dublin address on your cv, just so it will appear you are already living there.
    You will appear a safer hire from an employers point of view rather than somebody not living there.

I honestly didn’t think of that.

I don’t know anybody up there though so I don’t know how to get an address.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

It has to be Dublin. I need access to the doctor who treated me when I was younger. And I love cinema and Dublin gets movies the rest of the country does not - things to do like that are a great help.

Like the poster before you said - no one will rent to an unemployed person - but would an employer give a job to a person not currently living there?

A deposit isn’t a problem but who would I get a reference from? The last person I rented from was in Germany - that person or just some one who knows me well?

You could just get someone you know to give you a ref.

You'd get a job without living there bit you'd need to declare your intent on moving or as someone said give a Dublin address

Best of luck op

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

OP, if you are suffering from mental health problems and you don't know anyone living in Dublin, I'd really consider if it's for you.
    What support network will you have there?
    Dublin (no offence to Dublin people) isn't for the faint hearted, same as any capital city. It's super expensive, one million people and many rented places won't have a sense of community if people are moving in and out frequently.
    Now maybe that's your cup of tea, OP but having an illness usually requires people to have close contacts nearby as support.
    How would you feel about sharing a house? Look at places for rent within your budget and see if those are places you could see yourself living.
    Why not look at smaller scale cities or towns like Kilkenny or Waterford that have trains/buses to Dublin for you to attend your appointments.
    Look at call centre jobs there and renting a room will be significantly lower than Dublin.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Honestly, there's really no need for it. I used to work in recruitment (in-house and agency) and as long as someone was willing to relocate it didn't matter where they lived at the time of extending a job offer. I once hired a guy living in Belfast for a job based in Dublin. He had great difficulties getting a place to live, so for a while he drove from Belfast to Dublin and back, every day. I myself got a job based in Amsterdam while living in Dublin. My friend got a job in Cork while living in Dublin. This is a non-issue, especially now that many people are working from home, and this is not likely to change anytime soon. Also, many office based companies are transitioning to working from home permanently, either full time or part time (hybrid approach 2 days in the office, 3 days home or similar), so employers will be more flexible as to where people are based.

Look for a job first, OP, and sort out your accommodation later, if that's an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

OP I would not be following this "advice" as it could lead to loss of a job. Providing false information is ground for immediate termination within first 6 months, also if you were to be provided anything by or for working purposes how will you accept delivery at that address if you not living there. I would be weary of claiming you are living in a place you are not.

Try check out commuter towns like Bray, Greystones, Skerries, Lusk, Baldoyle, Maynooth, Lucan, Leixlip, Kilcock, Drogheda......etc for places to rent that on dart/commuter train line. Also would be a number of jobs going in places like maynooth and drogheda.

OP, if you are suffering from mental health problems and you don't know anyone living in Dublin, I'd really consider if it's for you.
    What support network will you have there?
    Dublin (no offence to Dublin people) isn't for the faint hearted, same as any capital city. It's super expensive, one million people and many rented places won't have a sense of community if people are moving in and out frequently.
    Now maybe that's your cup of tea, OP but having an illness usually requires people to have close contacts nearby as support.
    How would you feel about sharing a house? Look at places for rent within your budget and see if those are places you could see yourself living.
    Why not look at smaller scale cities or towns like Kilkenny or Waterford that have trains/buses to Dublin for you to attend your appointments.
    Look at call centre jobs there and renting a room will be significantly lower than Dublin.

I don’t have a support network now anyway.

I have started looking at jobs outside Dublin. I will see how that goes but I don’t no about other cities.

Sharing a house or apartment is not for me. I do need to live on my own.

Tolkeyt wrote: »
    Honestly, there's really no need for it. I used to work in recruitment (in-house and agency) and as long as someone was willing to relocate it didn't matter where they lived at the time of extending a job offer. I once hired a guy living in Belfast for a job based in Dublin. He had great difficulties getting a place to live, so for a while he drove from Belfast to Dublin and back, every day. I myself got a job based in Amsterdam while living in Dublin. My friend got a job in Cork while living in Dublin. This is a non-issue, especially now that many people are working from home, and this is not likely to change anytime soon. Also, many office based companies are transitioning to working from home permanently, either full time or part time (hybrid approach 2 days in the office, 3 days home or similar), so employers will be more flexible as to where people are based.

Look for a job first, OP, and sort out your accommodation later, if that's an option.

I’ve only done warehouse and manufacturing work but I’m really not up to physical labour because of an old injury. That is why I wanted to try call centres.

If I got a from home customer support job while I’m living here it would be ideal - I’ve been out of work so long that I don’t have the discipline to sit at a desk if I’m not at work location being supervised. Here in this house I would have the need to prove myself so that they would feel okay that I’m able when I leave.

• Advertisement

OP I would not be following this "advice" as it could lead to loss of a job. Providing false information is ground for immediate termination within first 6 months, also if you were to be provided anything by or for working purposes how will you accept delivery at that address if you not living there. I would be weary of claiming you are living in a place you are not.

Try check out commuter towns like Bray, Greystones, Skerries, Lusk, Baldoyle, Maynooth, Lucan, Leixlip, Kilcock, Drogheda......etc for places to rent that on dart/commuter train line. Also would be a number of jobs going in places like maynooth and drogheda.

Well I don’t have an address anywhere but here so I can’t fake it. If I did have one I would have done it so thank for saying I should not.

And thanks for the list of towns. I only knew Naas, Bray and Drogheda to be potential locations because of size but I am not at at all familiar with the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you maybe jumping the gun op, you may need professional guidance to get you back into a working situation and environment, i think starting with a local therapist and your gp is probably the best starting point, moving to dublin could be detrimental to your mental well being, recovery takes time, baby steps is best

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You were a carer. Would you consider working in a care home or as a home help for an elderly? I'm curious as to what is your transportation situation? Can you drive? Own a car?
    It's the cliché question, "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" situation, set your goal, explore all the obstacles and what you have to do to overcome them and then plan out day by day what you are going to do in order to achieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Well I don’t have an address anywhere but here so I can’t fake it. If I did have one I would have done it so thank for saying I should not.

And thanks for the list of towns. I only knew Naas, Bray and Drogheda to be potential locations because of size but I am not at at all familiar with the others.

It's not the norm to put your address on your CV anyway, I haven't had mine on it since I was a teenager.

However, I'd be inclined to agree with others that you may be putting the cart before the horse to a large extent here. You haven't worked in years, you are struggling with your mental health and you say yourself your work discipline is likely to be below par - I think jumping with both feet straight into a move to Dublin under those circumstances would be a huge mistake. You'd be much better off to get a job, get used to being in a work environment again and start working on your mental health before you even consider moving to the most expensive city in the country.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    you maybe jumping the gun op, you may need professional guidance to get you back into a working situation and environment, i think starting with a local therapist and your gp is probably the best starting point, moving to dublin could be detrimental to your mental well being, recovery takes time, baby steps is best

No I need to make this leap.

I won’t get any help here because I don’t want to be here.

I need a fresh start.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I need a fresh start.

again, just be aware, this is an extremely risky strategy, it has a high potential of triggering your mental health issues again, so......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I need a fresh start.

You need a reality check.
    You have basically been unemployed for years and only have experience in warehouse and call centre work. Surely when looking at Dublin rental accommodation you must have realised that affording anything but a shared accommodation at this salary is less than realistic.
    Has the care work been official or unofficial?

Seeking help on how to get back into the job sector is the best advise that was given. If you act without a plan you are bound to crash

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    again, just be aware, this is an extremely risky strategy, it has a high potential of triggering your mental health issues again, so......

It’s not a strategy, it’s fleeing into an unknown destination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Are you entitled to any social welfare for your mental health issues?

Next you have experience of caring for somebody elderly, get a qualification in that, it wouldn't take long and you will be snapped up buy an agency. If you are getting SW and able to say work 20 hours a week you would do well. Also there are many families looking for extra help with an elderly relative that would take you on once vetted and qualified.

Once you have a some agency experience you could work for one family or a nursing home.... I wouldn't go straight to Dublin, stay local get experience and try with a local Dr first. If that isn't working out then look at Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement