Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Damage to car (scraped by kid on bike)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Mimon wrote: »
    Principles matter, it's not just about the money. Might be an education for the kid to show their parent having to be an responsible adult.

Do you really believe that any child would be kept in the loop about what's happening, this child is approx 6 -where the parent has already avoided responsibility, I would suggest any bill/solicitor letter would result in the child getting the blame (within the household) and punished internally, whether or not the family pay up.

Let's assume that the family are a low income earner or like most people were unable to work over the past 12-15months, money would be very tight and the family may not be able to afford the repairs.

Personally I would be inclined to ask the parent, but, would try to judge their situation, ultimately it would result in me paying for it.

On a side note, when a criminal is sent to jail, do you think the parent that's at home tells the kids it's because daddy did something illegal and got caught or do you think they tell them the gardai took daddy away and put him into jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Won't help you this time but you could mention it to the school and they might send a "watch your kids on their bikes, cars being damaged" note/message to all parents. We regularly get these kinds of messages about parking, damage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

tscul32 wrote: »
    Won't help you this time but you could mention it to the school and they might send a "watch your kids on their bikes, cars being damaged" note/message to all parents. We regularly get these kinds of messages about parking, damage etc.

our school do this by asking parents not to park so close to the school and park legally.

In fact they encourage kids to scoot or cycle, and unlike others here, the parents who are bringing their kids to school using sustainable and healthy transport are giving their kids a better head start than those who get dropped off on the doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This is why you have insurance, people.

You'll be using your car in a public space. Public spaces include children. Children have poor foresight and poor judgment and cause accidental damage all the time; it is unreasonable and unrealistic to think that this won't happen. There is no principle of law under which the adults who are most closely related to children are liable for the accidental damage the children cause. If a child accidentally damages your car, nobody is obliged to compensate you for this.

Is this true in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Is this true in Ireland?

yes. parents are not vicariously liable for torts committed by their children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Big Daddy Kane

Okay all, thanks for replies.

I have decided to take this on the chin and pony up the cost of repair. As mentioned here, I wouldn't want the child to suffer or be on the receiveing end of abuse.

Lessons learned, I hope the mother can change (ha!) but no point pursuing.. lost cause.

Might have to set up a go fund me page ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I enjoy sitting in supermarket car parks watching the idiotic gob****es bounce their trollies up and down paths and into cars without a care in the world. That's even before the clowns looking for parking tip back and forwards into other parked cars. I try to stay well away from these entrances and exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Okay all, thanks for replies.

I have decided to take this on the chin and pony up the cost of repair. As mentioned here, I wouldn't want the child to suffer or be on the receiveing end of abuse.

Lessons learned, I hope the mother can change (ha!) but no point pursuing.. lost cause.

Might have to set up a go fund me page ^_^

Did you actually approach the mother, OP, or did you just get out of your car and hope she'd come to you? It's not really clear from your description.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Del2005 wrote: »
    With our system you don't have to be a responsible adult. There's no way to get money off people if they aren't willing to pay. So even if the child could be held responsible there's zero chance that someone who looked at their child damaging someone else's property and walked off is going to pay for it.

Are you joking? Anyone with an ounce of decency would offer to pay for the damage. Obviously truly in a post honour society if you think no one would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I dont think you should take this on the chin. You have nothing to loose an all to gain by approaching the parent of the child. Maybe they didn't notice the damage, maybe they were pissed off and paying no heed. Either way I think you should approach them. Some people pay up out of shame and embarrassment and others wont care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP, how did you get the name and address?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Did you actually approach the mother, OP, or did you just get out of your car and hope she'd come to you? It's not really clear from your description.

Exactly this, how do you know the parent noticed the damage. The parent may just have been concerned about their kid. Were you parked legally? Be careful you don’t open a can of worms for yourself.

Dial Hard wrote: »

Yes, I was in the car, i saw the kid coming down the ramp (its a hill and the way its laid out ) basically hit my car BANG, kids Mother walking behind alone, told kid to keep going, I got out and called the Mother, excuse me etc.. about 5 times, no response. Looked at me and then kept walking . I didn't want to cause a scene. Kid went into school, Mother went on home.

What could I do, im.not going to shout etc..

So yes, she was approached, my feeling is she would deny anything and her kid was going to keep quiet.

I'll have to think further about this. Part of me wants to pursue it, not for financial gain, but principle of the matter.

Other part of me thinks better to let sleeping dogs lie, for the sake of 360e I could be getting dogs abuse dropping kids to school.

I now park well away from the gate of school, at least chances of that happening (again) will be slim.

Poor kid really. Only a baby but yet already taught to avoid any responsibility.

I have to ask, why didn't you wait until the parent had dropped of their child, and then approached them as they were leaving the school to point out the damage that had been done?

If you didn't confront them at the time the damage happened, they are going to deny anything to do with it now?

Edit: I see others have asked, and you've answered this already

jrosen wrote: »
    I dont think you should take this on the chin. You have nothing to loose an all to gain by approaching the parent of the child. Maybe they didn't notice the damage, maybe they were pissed off and paying no heed. Either way I think you should approach them. Some people pay up out of shame and embarrassment and others wont care.

Hi, sorry, this "parent" knew well what happened, the kid called her when hit my car, she told him to keep going. Ignored me, the least you would do is deny it or tell me to **** off.

She did nothing, see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

I have to ask, why didn't you wait until the parent had dropped of their child, and then approached them as they were leaving the school to point out the damage that had been done?

If you didn't confront them at the time the damage happened, they are going to deny anything to do with it now?

As i mentioned, this parent is a scrote, the fact they ignored me when I called her and was only us there at the time. Showing her my car would acheive nothing.

As a side, the kid now gets dropped to school and doesn't ride the bike.

Rules of the World (chavs) deny everything, even if it is in plain site. She should have apologised and offered to pay half, at least, or just apologised!

Exactly this, how do you know the parent noticed the damage. The parent may just have been concerned about their kid. Were you parked legally? Be careful you don’t open a can of worms for yourself.

Parked legally. 100%. The kid didn't brake. Hit my car. Damaged it. Parent was told (by kid) parent told kid to " keep going "

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

If it was me, and money wasn't an issue so to speak, I'd see it through purely to teach the parent a lesson. But I'm stubborn and spiteful, so it's up to you OP. Pay for it yourself and take it on the chin, or see it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

DuffleBag wrote: »
    If it was me, and money wasn't an issue so to speak, I'd see it through purely to teach the parent a lesson. But I'm stubborn and spiteful, so it's up to you OP. Pay for it yourself and take it on the chin, or see it through.

see what through? the parent isn't liable. would you be hoping to get an instalment order on the kids pocket money?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Feck that crap, I would be taking it further with the parent.. They should have apologized for it and so should the kid 6 or not.Sounds like they are arseholes. Sick of this kinda stuff happening today no one has any respect

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    Feck that crap, I would be taking it further with the parent.. They should have apologized for it and so should the kid 6 or not.Sounds like they are arseholes. Sick of this kinda stuff happening today no one has any respect

No point Milly, as mentioned on thread, parent would just clam up and ignore. The same kinda person who has council gaff and ****s off to Spain twice a year! Gimme gimme gimme

Can't get blood from a stone

• Registered Users Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is there room for a sort of in-between solution, where you just turn up at their door with the invoice, acting as if it's obvious they would be expected to pay - and then say "Heya, just got the car fixed after your kid hit it, but sure look I know it was an accident so let's just split the cost", so it's framed as you doing them a favour.

Obviously it's still unfair, but it sounds like you've no hope of getting the full amount from them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Is there room for a sort of in-between solution, where you just turn up at their door with the invoice, acting as if it's obvious they would be expected to pay - and then say "Heya, just got the car fixed after your kid hit it, but sure look I know it was an accident so let's just split the cost", so it's framed as you doing them a favour.

Obviously it's still unfair, but it sounds like you've no hope of getting the full amount from them anyway.

Do it for the laugh I would like to see if she will tell you to sod off or invite you in for a cup of tea & scones:rolleyes:

James 007 wrote: »
    Do it for the laugh I would like to see if she will tell you to sod off or invite you in for a cup of tea & scones:rolleyes:

More like a joint and can of dutch gold

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Not much different than a traveller tarmacing your driveway and handing you a bill.

More like a joint and can of dutch gold
    No point Milly, as mentioned on thread, parent would just clam up and ignore. The same kinda person who has council gaff and ****s off to Spain twice a year! Gimme gimme gimme

Okay, now i've lost any sympathy I had for you.

I know you're annoyed, and thats justified, but aim your ire at the person who ignored you and walked away.

No need to lump everyone who lives in council houses in with them.

Tired of the council tenant bashing, and stereotyping, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hand her the bill in front of all the other parents, and leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Okay, now i've lost any sympathy I had for you.

I know you're annoyed, and thats justified, but aim your ire at the person who ignored you and walked away.

No need to lump everyone who lives in council houses in with them.

Tired of the council tenant bashing, and stereotyping, to be honest.

The clue was right back in the OP:
    ...this scrote gets to just walk away,

Being annoyed is reasonable.
    Calling a 7yr old or anyone else a scrote isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

So annoying, no a joint isnt too bad but Dutch Gold no no no :).... Maybe that approach would work if you have already said to the guards so give them the heads up, and then just call over say you have the quote to get the car done all that goes and ye could half it... If you feel like BS about having dash cam footage...

• Advertisement

Phoebas wrote: »
    The clue was right back in the OP:

Being annoyed is reasonable.
    Calling a 7yr old or anyone else a scrote isn't.

The mother not the child. My point is the child will END up a scrote (not taking responsibility for thier actions)

Anyway, i will pay the bill. Write it off. Sure that's what taxpayers do ^_^ im sure she will think twice next time.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement