Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving a swarm

• 21-06-2020 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I had a few bait hives out and got a swarm last week, the trouble is they moved into a dirty hive that bees had died in over the winter and I hadn't got around to cleaning it out. I now want to move them into a clean hive and move it about thirty feet from where they are now. Any ideas and suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭victor8600

Since they have probably settled into the position already, you would need either
    1) move them into another apiary further than 3 KM away for several weeks
    2) move the hive 3 feet each couple of days
    3) do the re-orientation as described in https://www.honeybeesuite.com/how-to-move-a-hive/

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Thanks for the reply Victor, I was thinking of doing the reorientation by keeping them under house arrest for a few days and moving them to the new position. I moved a clean hive beside them ready for the transfer but had to leave it for a couple of days. Went out this morning to do the transfer and guess what, another swarm has moved into the clean hive:D. I'm not complaining but why couldn't they have moved into the other clean hive thirty feet away?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭victor8600

.... Went out this morning to do the transfer and guess what, another swarm has moved into the clean hive....

You can move the new swarm. Ideally, put a frame of brood into the hive to bind the bees into it. Close the entrance at night, move them and keep them closed for couple of days.

Advertisement