Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Start in beekeeping around ballincollig

• 02-02-2020 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello,

Is there anyone around ballincollig keeping bees that wouldn't mind showing someone around?

See CIT are running a beekeeping course and I'll enrol in that.

Is it April before anything is really happening with beekeeping?

Was thinking of trying to get a hive into an allotment on a public park. Is that feasible? Have yet to talk to people to see if there would be any objections to it.

Appreciate peoples inputs on that.

Thanks,
    David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭victor8600

Hi,

It makes sense to join an association. See the list here: https://irishbeekeeping.ie/about-us/find-a-beekeepers-association-near-you/ . An association may have its own training apiary -- ask associations around your area about this. At he very least, joining as association will put you in contact with local beekeepers.

Beekeeping courses normally start in February, so I would not delay enrolling.

I would advise against putting a hive on an allotment, unless the allotment is set away from other allotments. Usually, I can walk past my hives, or sit near (3 meters) them with bees not bothering me. But during an inspection, it is not safe to be close to a hive without a suit. Also you would want a hive to be in a secure location. It would be quite upsetting if some delinquents knock down a hive.

Even if people in the park do not object now, they may change their minds later unless the apiary is effectively undetectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Was thinking of trying to get a hive into an allotment on a public park. Is that feasible? Have yet to talk to people to see if there would be any objections to it.

I'd also stay away from the allotment idea. Same reasons as Victor + if the allotment is taking hives there may be multiple hives on the site which may be too much for the forage available in the area.

Public parks - would need to be a secured area, even then you're going to get some clown messing with them for a laugh.

I just got on my bike and cycled around the area I was looking at (North County Dublin) with some some flyers. Stopped anybody out walking and called into a few houses. 2-3 hours and I had 2 offers on farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

Thanks for the inputs. Had thought it unlikely the allotment would be a runner even though it is enclosed. Appreciate peoples inputs and perhaps I'll get talking to people on the course on local beekeepers. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tatealex007

Thanks for sharing high-value information with us and hope this post will be very helpful for everyone. keep it up.....

Advertisement