Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any news on eSIMs in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭KildareP

No. Their support on twitter telling me to go into one of their shops. I went into the local shop and they had no idea why I was directed there and they couldn't do anything for me. It seems the eSIM option is completely gone, the only option you get now whether replacing or signing up for a new connection is a new physical SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 joejoew

Thanks. I got on to chat and they're trying to sort this out for me but haven't managed it yet (sent a link which didn't work). Told me it could take 24 hours to resolve so I'll report back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 joemcd1

I'm almost there getting my Prepaid eSim with Vodafone. On the order pages and MyVF pages, I didn't see any option to get an eSim. Twitter support said the platform is down. I contacted them via Chat. The first attempt at it locked me out of my account 🤣 When I contacted them back, I could get as far as the eSim page but it showed a blank QR code. I went back to chat where they sent me the manual eSim details by text. Luckily the physical SIM arrived today. I'm now at the stage where the eSim is downloaded but they can't activate/provision it. It has been escalated so let's see how long that takes.

Vodafone support in a nutshell!

Twitter support still insisting to me that I need to go to the store for a SIM.

Wouldn't hold my breath on it being resolved anytime soon...

Yeap. So called again today asking to provision the eSim. They sent me a new one. Then I contacted them back saying they need to activate it and the response was 'due to huge amount fraud online eSIM is stopped temporarily, so you will need to visit nearest Vodafone store along with your valid photo ID to activate your eSIM'. I don't think I'll be able to get into a Store today as I'm working. Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭feargantae

eSim fraud?? What on earth are they on about!

Just Vodafone being Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Presume its folks buying esims without a robust ownership process behind it. Could be used for criminal activities or foreign scams using local numbers.

Its not completely outlandish.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭feargantae

God bless their patience for dealing with the Vodafone site enough to make multiple accounts! It's tough enough to make one order!

So I went into a store. They didn't know what an eSim was 🤣 They called up support and found out I'd have to go to another Vodafone store as their store is just a Franchise. No mention of that on the Vodafone Store finder. I'll leave it until they sort out online activation.

Support have now come back to me to tell me that there is an issue with the eSIM provisioning system and it has been escalated! They also apologised for sending me to a store.

How little things change, seems it is pot luck as to who you get and what reason they'll give for something not working. I swear they're trying to outdo Eir on the diabolical customer service front.

• Advertisement

Heading back to London tomorrow so won't need it to be activated till I get home for Christmas. Maybe they'll sort things out by then.

I've ended up in the same place... have the esim details on the phone now but it needs to be activated. Took about 6 different chat agents to get to that point. It's been escalated to be resolved in 24 hours. I won't hold my breath.

Randomly got an email saying my eSim has been provisioned. Went online to activate and it's still broken.

eSim day today for me anyway as I'm having problems with transferring my eSim from my old Galaxy Watch to my GW4 (EE UK)

The chat agents kept telling me to go into a store to activate the esim so tried that today and as well as not being able to do it, they also managed to deactivate my old sim card and now can't get a new one to work FFS.

Back on to chat and they can't/won't do it either so I'm stuck with no service now until the care team get back to me within 24-48 hours which probably won't happen either. Absolute joke.

It seems they have stopped doing eSIMs for the time being.

Like you, I ordered a physical SIM in place of the eSIM, but between me and ordering it and it being delivered, their Twitter support tried to provision a new eSIM, thereby killing the physical before it even arrived. Now I can't get an eSIM to load on my phone nor can I get a physical SIM to use either as the option to order a new SIM is gone from my account.

Vodafone are a complete and utter shambles.

I got it sorted in-store on Henry street. They were a little confused but they got it sorted quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Vodafone confirmed on Chat that indeed all eSIM's have to be provisioned via a store with photo ID. Couldn't figure out though - will this support the Apple Watch calling functionality and does one treat it as a normal SIM regarding billing (sign up to any standard Bill Pay or PAYG)?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sublime1

Just found this thread when searching for help with Vodafone eSim. What an absolute farce of a situation. Nobody in Vodafone that I've spoken to (increasingly more difficult to speak to an actual human nowadays) seems to know anything about the eSims.

Reading these comments has put the fear of God in me about giving up my physical SIM as it seems like the eSims just don't work. To make matters worse, I'm abroad at the moment, so can't just stroll into the local shop to get this sorted.

Has anyone had success with Vodafone and eSims?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I was able to switch from physical sim to esim in about 3 minutes in Vodafone in Blanchardstown. It’s a pain it needs to be done in store but it was very quick and all is working as expected.

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of getting an eSim. I was in my local Vodafone shop over the weekend looking to switch to eSim. I was pretty shocked when the member of staff told me that Vodafone have basically screwed up their implementation of eSim, and apparently many customers have actually lost their numbers when trying to transfer accounts to eSim. They strongly advised me NOT to get an eSim (which in my case is a bit late as I had foolishly bought a new phone assuming that 5 year old tech would be easily supported). What is interesting is that just a few weeks ago over the phone the same shop told me that there would be no trouble getting an eSim, so this is obviously a very recent change in affairs.

This is a major cockup on Vodafone's part, on the kind of scale that heads should roll. The staff member was unable to even give me a timeline as to when they might start supporting eSims, as right now "it's a complete mess" apparently.

The rest of the world have been happily using eSims for a few years now, but apparently tech leader Ireland can't manage this at all. I'm fuming as I need 2 sims, and was relying on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I visited one of the stores in Limerick recently looking to move from my 12 Pro eSim to the 13 Pro eSim and the guy looked at me blankly when I asked to move to the eSim on the 13 and shrugged it off in saying that Vodafone don't do it at all anymore. I got the feeling it was a case where he had never been asked it before and thus didn't know how to do it but it's disappointing. I initially moved to eSim on the Vodafone website about 12 months ago without issue and it is very handy having esim especially when traveling. Is it definitely gone? I might try Blanchardstown the next day I'm there and see

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I had to go to a Vodafone store a couple of months ago when I changed phones. It took a while to get done as the shop assistant didn’t know the phone had to be connected to wifi to get it connected. Once he connected the phone to the store wifi he was able to scan the QR code on the store computer and activate the esim. Would be much easier if I could have done it at home like the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Vodafone store in Ballincollig shopping centre in Cork were able to provision an e-sim immediately for me recently. Painful that it can’t be renewed online though.

Well, the Vodafone assistant told me that they have just stopped supporting eSim in the past couple of weeks, after a couple of people lost access to their numbers. So it's a very recent development.

It may well be different for new numbers, but it's definitely no longer possible for existing numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mikeingalway

Dunno where you got that info 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Given the new iPhone is eSim only in the US, will this force irish carriers to hurry up with adoption of eSim.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭jusvi2001

I was trying to order esim from vodafone website but order not completing and asking to contact vodafone store. so visited my local vodafone store today only to be told that vodafone is not providing any new esim connections since last November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deep1

I was able to switch my esim from 13 pro to 14 pro with old profile being disabled and new profile being activated all from Vodafone website while holidaying in Europe last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Anybody here working for Three or Eir able to shed any light on esim rollout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Got this today, ended up closing out of it but looks like Eir are doing something definitely.

Advertisement