Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any news on eSIMs in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

I'm using Truphone esim for data - works well

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

dermiestv wrote: »
    I'm using Truphone esim for data - works well

It's great to finally have an Irish network launching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Craigels wrote: »
    Eir are launching esim soon

They probably thought you meant the apple watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

I rang and customer service comfirmed it's coming bit they don't have an option for me to register my interest and to just keep an eye out for it

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

dermiestv wrote: »
    Thanks very much.

Interesting to see the 2 networks on one phone and that price is reasonable

That's an interesting option. I'm currently using GoMo and An Post Mobile in a dual SIM handset. It's pricey, but still cheaper in total than my Eir contract was 2 years ago.

It will be interesting to see what the security implications of eSIMs are. In France, the best SIM-only deals are only available by mail order, even from companies with huge chains of shops.

• Advertisement

Craigels wrote: »
    I rang and customer service comfirmed it's coming bit they don't have an option for me to register my interest and to just keep an eye out for it
    You could set up a Google Alert for "eir" "esim".

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PMPON

Also very interested in this. Eir could benefit from some switching activity if they are first to the table with this technology

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Styley1

Anyone heard anymore about this? Asked in the eir store on Grafton St. and they looked at me like I had 2 heads (with masks).

Mobile ‘eSim’ cards are coming to Irish phones but not Apple Watches
    Vodafone Ireland will introduce eSim support from July 2nd to 25 smartphones.

Vodafone says that it is limiting the technology to phones, unlike Vodafone UK, which currently supports accessory devices on its eSim plans.

Ireland’s second largest operator, Three, is also to introduce the technology soon.

A spokesperson for Eir Mobile said that the operator is “reviewing” the possibility of eSims but has no plans to introduce them anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Vodafone has support pages for eSIM up and running:

https://n.vodafone.ie/support/mobile/esim-support-faqs.html

And also a guide for activation:

https://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/?genericinstruction=activate-esim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Vodafone has support pages for eSIM up and running:

https://n.vodafone.ie/support/mobile/esim-support-faqs.html

And also a guide for activation:

https://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/?genericinstruction=activate-esim

I contacted Vodafone and they said that is only available from July 2nd.

Amouar wrote: »
    I contacted Vodafone and they said that is only available from July 2nd.

I hope they enable it for all plans including payg. Good to see it coming though.

Vodafone eSIM's are now live.

When you log in you can under "Device & SIM" "Order a new SIM" and you will be offered both Generic Tripple sim and eSIM.

Seams to be both for contract and pay as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭feargantae

Vodafone eSIM's are now live.

When you log in you can under "Device & SIM" "Order a new SIM" and you will be offered both Generic Tripple sim and eSIM.

Seams to be both for contract and pay as you go.

Out of curiosity I ordered a new sim card as a new customer to see how smooth the process was and it took all of 5 minutes from entering my name to scanning the esim QR code! Very impressed given how temperamental the Vodafone website can be.

They do require a card for verification though €0.00 is charged.

Not sure how many people on here use them already but are they every bit as reliable as the physical sim? Does there tend to be any software related issues with them that physical sims don't have or any drawbacks?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I just switched mine over, very smooth process took me about 5 minutes

For the fun of it I took the SIM i got with my Pixel 4a deal (and never used) and converted it to an eSIM to use on my company provided (and vodafone locked) iPhone.

The "Your eSIM has been provisioned" email was there within seconds but it took a good 10 minutes for the SIM to get active on the phone after I clicked to activate it. No e-mail was sent about the activation but approx. 20 minutes after requesting activation I got a "welcome to Vodafone" text.

But now it works like expected, calls and text go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lordsheepface

Do anyone know if Postmobile or Clearmobile support ESIMs given they use Vodafone? I can't see anything on their website and I assume they don't but asking just in case...

Do anyone know if Postmobile or Clearmobile support ESIMs given they use Vodafone? I can't see anything on their website and I assume they don't but asking just in case...

No, so far we only have 3 and Vodafone with eSim support in Éire, and only Vodafone is live now.

Can you install multiple eSIMS on a device at the same time (e.g. GoMo for yourself, Vodafone for work and one from a country you visit often)?

(Assuming GoMo eventually gets eSIMs)

• Advertisement

jrmb wrote: »
    Can you install multiple eSIMS on a device at the same time (e.g. GoMo for yourself, Vodafone for work and one from a country you visit often)?

Only one esim at a time.

jrmb wrote: »

You can have multiple installed, but as DopeTech said, only one active at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭deep1

Does the physical sim get deactivated once esim is activated or can it be used in other phone when esim is not being used?

deep1 wrote: »
    Does the physical sim get deactivated once esim is activated or can it be used in other phone when esim is not being used?

Yes it gets deactivated so you can't use it in 2 phones.

With my dual SIM phone, I can choose a default SIM for each function (calls, texts and data). Then I can make an exception if I want to make a particular call from my work number or if I'm in a place where Vodafone's data is better than Eir's. Can you do this if you have multiple eSIMs?

Yep, I'm using an S21 and it works kinda like that. You can choose which SIM/eSIM is default for what and also from the quick-settings panel you can change it on the fly

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭jusvi2001

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭KildareP

Vodafone's eSIM platform seems to be borked or they've stopped offering them.

When I log into a prepay account, and go to activate my eSIM, the box with a QR code is blank and comes up with an error.

Trying to order a new eSIM and the option isn't there, only gives the option to order a physical SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 joejoew

Did you get anywhere with this? Just got a new phone that supports esim and now the option seems to have disappeared from VF website.

Advertisement