Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo experience not good so far

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Gooser14

spuddy wrote:
    I did get an email over the weekend with my account number and the mygomo page now shows the phone number, PIN, PUK etc associated with the SIM.

spuddy wrote:
    Did others receive their SIM prior to the account activation happening, is the above experience consistent with your own?

That's consistent with what happened in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I got two GoMo sims we are currently on Three at €35 a month. GoMo seems like a no brainer. I ported one number and it did not work the first time, but when I tried it the next time it worked.

Anybody have problems with call quality? I find it very bad in Drogheda area.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

We were on bill pay with Three Sim Only. When we said we were going to GoMo they said they would reduce our charge from €35 an month to €10 a month for 12 months. 30 day notice to cancel the contract.

I kept one of the accounts active and said I will be having the same conversation in 11 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

My experience so far, both good and bad!
    Ordered two SIMs on launch day. SIM 1 arrived in two days (but didn't work for another four), SIM 2 arrived after six days and worked immediately.

SIM 2 ported fine on the specified day, done and dusted in five minutes.

SIM 1 is still not ported from Eir Prepay, 14 days after I first tried. I've been mainly communicating with GoMo through Twitter - you might get a reply that day, you might not - so I have a communication trail. I asked four times for the issue to be escalated before they did so. I then had to ask another four times (once a day) to get the case number. Was escalated six days ago.

At the mo I'm using an old phone with the GoMo SIM as a hotspot and carrying two phones, but that got old pretty fast. At least I still have my old number working (although, now two weeks out of credit) for things like payment authentication texts. I've had this number for nearly 20 years so do want to hang on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭spuddy

nephster wrote: »
    My experience so far, both good and bad!
    Ordered two SIMs on launch day. SIM 1 arrived in two days (but didn't work for another four), SIM 2 arrived after six days and worked immediately.

SIM 2 ported fine on the specified day, done and dusted in five minutes.

SIM 1 is still not ported from Eir Prepay, 14 days after I first tried....

Do you recall what day of the week & time of the day you ported in each case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

spuddy wrote: »
    Do you recall what day of the week & time of the day you ported in each case?

SIM 2 successfully ported at noon on a Friday, first time.

SIM 1 has been tried at every time and day known to God :) Well, during the allowed times (normally 8am to 6pm). First trying at 5:30pm on a Tuesday.

There was no difference in the types of accounts or SIMs we are trying to port from, BTW; both Prepay Eir accounts activated at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Sparkrite wrote: »
    Just even give a hint how you would go about working a fraud with a SIM with an active number, say my new GoMo number (nothing else).

No name.
    No address.
    No details what so ever.

I could be male/female/ 18 - 80/ living in Cork - Donegal etc.
    All you have is a SIM with a new unused number.

The only risk I can think of is.. if you trigger your own password reset on a 2FA account and it comes into the fraudsters phone, if that sms happens to have an email address or username mentioned then they would know where to go. Also, the number for that sms might give away what service the info is for.

Assuming a company is silly enough to provide that info in a 2FA sms which I doubt very much.

But the above would rely on you having already updated your 2FA accounts to use your new gomo number, but who would do that without first receiving the sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Sparkrite

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    The only risk I can think of is.. if you trigger your own password reset on a 2FA account and it comes into the fraudsters phone, if that sms happens to have an email address or username mentioned then they would know where to go. Also, the number for that sms might give away what service the info is for.

Assuming a company is silly enough to provide that info in a 2FA sms which I doubt very much.

But the above would rely on you having already updated your 2FA accounts to use your new gomo number, but who would do that without first receiving the sim?

I agree fully Gazzmonkey it is indeed most unlikely that anybody would be using a phone number not in their possession for a 2FA sms.
    Also no 2FA sms I ever received had pertinent personal info in it either.

So as I have said all along a blank SIM with NO other information is not much use to clear out anybodies account, as has been implied here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sparkrite wrote: »
    So as I have said all along a blank SIM with NO other information is not much use to clear out anybodies account, as has been implied here.

Nobody implied that a blank sim is useful for anything.

The simple fact which you have evaded to is there could be a fraud problem for somebody based on what we know from all the gomo threads and they shouldn't hesitate to get it resolved via gomo or comreg if their not prompt responding

Why you've brought a blank sim into the conversation is beyond me. You might as well be talking about a tea pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Ah give it a rest arguing about fraud ffs lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭sliabh 1956

How do I know my present phone is locked I bought it in a 3 shop but i pay as i go i have no contract

• Registered Users Posts: 41 WindWarrior

My number ported over with no hassle and have no problems with network but ever since I ported I am getting constant calls from +235 numbers (Chad). Anyone else getting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Mits wrote: »
    We were on bill pay with Three Sim Only. When we said we were going to GoMo they said they would reduce our charge from €35 an month to €10 a month for 12 months. 30 day notice to cancel the contract.

I kept one of the accounts active and said I will be having the same conversation in 11 months.

So, they effectively said, "We've been screwing you up to now so we'll reduce it to €10 and still be making a profit"

Goes to show how much the providers have been shafting us all.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Sparkrite

How do I know my present phone is locked I bought it in a 3 shop but i pay as i go i have no contract

You'll know as soon as you put a SIM from another network in it.
    If its an android, it will look for an unlock code.

Assuming your current service provider is Three, put a sim from a provider other than Three in the phone & if it works it is unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Paulzx

My number ported over with no hassle and have no problems with network but ever since I ported I am getting constant calls from +235 numbers (Chad). Anyone else getting this?

Got 1 from the same prefix after porting today.

In fairness i was getting loads of them last summer while on Virgin Mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is there a way to block say all countries except UK & Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Regarding the issue of messing up the number porting, and possibly sending someone else a SIM with my number... I'm not worried about potential fraud, but rather:

1. Privacy, i.e. somebody else getting a SIM with my number, putting it into their phone and getting texts intended for me like:
    Dear Mr. Your Name, your appointment at the STI clinic is at 2pm on Wednesday.

2. Inability for people/companies to contact me through the normal channel. For example, today I showed up for an evening class and nobody was there. Turned out the teacher was sick and texted everyone in the class. I didn't get the message because GoMo accidentally sent my phone number to limbo.
    What if my kid is sick at school and they can't get through to me?

3. Inability to use 2FA that depends on my phone number. This includes Gmail, online banking, Github and many other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Both our scheduled ports happened on time and took about five minutes in each case. Perfect really

• Registered Users Posts: 32 beet_root

Just got my first bill, all good except I was charged for calls to an 1890 number (thought these were included but don't seem to be)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭r0chf0rt

My mother sigend up with GoMo. They sent her out a sim and ported her old vodafone ready to go number to it. She currently has no service with GoMo. I had a look for her and realised the sim they sent out doesnt match the one on her account. I would have assumed they could just reassign the one on her account but GoMo have said they have to send out a new sim (which takes up to 10 days).

My question is can she get her old number back in the meantime? As part of the GoMo port they send out a text to your current provider (which she did already). I assume her number is currently assigned to an umknown sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I bought the day it was open, received my sim about a week after, and within 2 minutes I activated and have had no issues since

My advice is not to initiate porting of you number until you have received & trialed the GoMo SIM. Also ensure the SIM received matches the number on your online account.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lehe8707

Having a disaster of a time. SIM was forever arriving. Chatted them via Facebook(because 3mqil support would not reply) they took their time replying and told me I would get mail with tracking. The sim eventually arrived yesterday(no tracking email BTW) and now it won't activate. Customer service blamed an post not updating tracking but an post tracking website shows parcel delivered. Joke of a company

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lehe8707

lehe8707 wrote: »
    Having a disaster of a time. SIM was forever arriving. Chatted them via Facebook(because 3mqil support would not reply) they took their time replying and told me I would get mail with tracking. The sim eventually arrived yesterday(no tracking email BTW) and now it won't activate. Customer service blamed an post not updating tracking but an post tracking website shows parcel delivered. Joke of a company

Oh and I'm in a queue for chat support since 10:17

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Former Coach

I'm trying (and failing!) to have my number ported from Vodafone.

GoMo app says port is in progress. I can click to cancel the port but when I try to re-schedule I'm told that the port is already in progress and I can't go any further!
    Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Hi there

Sorry if this is somewhere else in the thread. I am currently with three on a 30 day rolling contract and want to switch to GoMo. I have my GoMo SIM so need to unlock my three phone, port number etc. My question is...in what order should I do everything?

Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

lehe8707 wrote: »
    Oh and I'm in a queue for chat support since 10:17

how do you access this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

I'm trying (and failing!) to have my number ported from Vodafone.

GoMo app says port is in progress. I can click to cancel the port but when I try to re-schedule I'm told that the port is already in progress and I can't go any further!
    Any suggestions?

be patient, it doesn't happen within click of a finger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

ithread wrote:
    Sorry if this is somewhere else in the thread. I am currently with three on a 30 day rolling contract and want to switch to GoMo. I have my GoMo SIM so need to unlock my three phone, port number etc. My question is...in what order should I do everything?

Get your phone unlocked. Select a porting date and time. When your phone loses the 3 signal(anything from 5 minutes to 24 hours) insert your gomo SIM and away you go.

Advertisement