Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jordan Peterson

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Torakx wrote: »
    Maybe logic and creativity need more refined definitions when using left/right brain metaphors. The right brain is capable of more divergent thinking afaik. And the left more cable of linear thinking.
    Read link. Left-right brain myth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

New Brain Maps in April 2018 Wired magazine touches upon the vast complexity of brains and how they are being mapped today, making Peterson's several page Maps argument in support of the left and right brain metaphor absolutely spurious. As noted earlier, the left-right brain metaphor is myth, unscientific, and meaningless, and caution should be used with any of Peterson's appeals to science accordingly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

(above) New Brain Maps citation worth reading. Makes Peterson's Maps look prescientific.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The rise of Patreon – the website that makes Jordan Peterson $80k a month.

Ref:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/may/14/patreon-rise-jordan-peterson-online-membership

Black Swan wrote: »
    The rise of Patreon – the website that makes Jordan Peterson $80k a month.
    No limits on what Peterson can earn? Beyond university salary? Percentage?

• Advertisement

To what extent is the Peterson philosophy in agreement or disagreement with the 2018 Me-Too movement among women in America?

To what extent is the Peterson philosophy in agreement or disagreement with the 2018 Me-Too movement among women in America?
    Peterson's Maps was not in agreement with today's Me-Too.

Fathom wrote: »
    Peterson's Maps was not in agreement with today's Me-Too.
    That would be my read.

Peterson continues male POV. Cool for males. Not females. Out of touch with M-too.

Peterson discusses makeup in the workplace:
    Vice News: Do you feel like a serious woman who doesn’t want sexual harassment in the workplace, do you feel like if she wears makeup in the workplace, is being somewhat hypocritical?

Jordan Peterson: Yeah. I do think that.

Is this a sexist POV by Peterson, and how does this affect his philosophical position in regards to women?

• Advertisement

Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life suggests that we take lessons from lobsters. Natural lessons found in comparative biology. Is this a metaphor? Or is Peterson attempting to make a biological comparison? Reading 12 Rules it seems the latter. If so, such a comparison is problematic. Bailey Steinworth studying evolutionary developmental biology at Florida University thinks Peterson's comparison, either if metaphor or natural may be a poor choice. Why important? "In the case of humans and lobsters, our most recent common ancestor was defined by the remarkable evolutionary innovation of a complete gut — meaning that the mouth and anus are two separate openings (the importance of this morphological novelty is clear when you contemplate the alternative)." How these two separate openings shared by lobsters and humans inform Peterson's 12 Rules' philosophy of “unspeakably primordial calculator, deep within you, at the very foundation of your brain, far below your thoughts and feelings,” somehow translate into: “Look for your inspiration to the victorious lobster, with its 350 million years of practical wisdom. Stand up straight, with your shoulders back,” is both scientifically spurious (and metaphorically suspect).

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life suggests that we take lessons from lobsters. Natural lessons found in comparative biology. Is this a metaphor? Or is Peterson attempting to make a biological comparison? Reading 12 Rules it seems the latter. If so, such a comparison is problematic. Bailey Steinworth studying evolutionary developmental biology at Florida University thinks Peterson's comparison, either if metaphor or natural may be a poor choice. Why important? "In the case of humans and lobsters, our most recent common ancestor was defined by the remarkable evolutionary innovation of a complete gut — meaning that the mouth and anus are two separate openings (the importance of this morphological novelty is clear when you contemplate the alternative)."

How these two separate openings shared by lobsters and humans inform Peterson's 12 Rules' philosophy of “unspeakably primordial calculator, deep within you, at the very foundation of your brain, far below your thoughts and feelings,” somehow translate into: “Look for your inspiration to the victorious lobster, with its 350 million years of practical wisdom. Stand up straight, with your shoulders back,” is both scientifically spurious (and metaphorically suspect).

Yeh, it was just a metaphor.

Poor choice per Bailey Steinworth. Suggests amusing followup anecdotes.

Agree. Metaphor and poor choice.

Was metaphor popular with his readership?

Was metaphor popular with his readership?
    12 Maps Amazon #1 seller Februrary 2018 suggesting that the metaphor may not have hurt sales.

12 Maps Amazon #1 seller Februrary 2018 suggesting that the metaphor may not have hurt sales.
    Only one content variable. There were many to explain #1 seller. Gender controversy drew attention to Peterson. Does controversy sell?

In the Age of Trump, methinks controversy sells, and should benefit Peterson with his ongoing gender controversy helping 12 Maps book sales.

In the Age of Trump, methinks controversy sells, and should benefit Peterson with his ongoing gender controversy helping 12 Maps book sales.
    Dorian Lynskey summarizes Peterson's target audience in The Guardian (February 7, 2018): "His YouTube gospel resonates with young white men who feel alienated by the jargon of social-justice discourse and crave an empowering theory of the world in which they are not the designated oppressors." A one-sided gender position that fuels controversy and sells 12 Maps.

Dorian Lynskey summarizes Peterson's target audience in The Guardian (February 7, 2018): "His YouTube gospel resonates with young white men who feel alienated by the jargon of social-justice discourse and crave an empowering theory of the world in which they are not the designated oppressors."
    This quote captures what others have expressed in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I've looked at a few of his lectures on youtube and what got me into watching him, were the "sort yourself out and clean your room!" snippets of self-help, that had been isolated from some of his lectures where he's diverted on a tangent and tells his audience how to deal with someone who needs structure in their lives to get them going again.

I like him and how articulate he is, how many of the ideas he has talked about, I would have found stupid in the past but compelling now. Like, the idea of the archetypes (which I dismissed as fanciful when I tried to read Jung), his rants about where nihilism and lack of meaning comes from (which I can relate to) and how intolerance of free speech could give rise to totalitarianism.

I'm not a philosophy student and I know little enough in any depth about it, but can anyone point out some of the bad points and shortcomings his ideas have?

Hello OP,

as mentioned earlier I would take with a grain of salt many of the criticisms you may read in left-leaning publications. I would also take with a grain of salt any claims made by forum posters that their few seconds of googling the opposite to his conclusions constitutes proof that a professor of clinical psychology is not taking into account many different studies (his own and others) when making claims in the realm of clinical psychology.

Taking all that into account, and giving him the benefit of the doubt when he speaks on scientific matters relating to the discipline in which he holds a professorship, we can still ask about what are problems with his positions.

Personally I would have a problem with his philosophies on an ethical level: he argues about the natural occurrence of hierarchies, and the natural evolution of different religious myths and how these things are useful and efficient ways to organise society, and the distillation of the stories and rules to live by that have developed over the course of human evolution.

He goes from here, pointing out that these hierarchies, and the religious rules, are natural productions ( and not social constructions etc. ), to the fact that they are efficient etc. ; but then his final step, and this is where I would disagree with him, is that because they are natural, and efficient they are good.

This is the basic structure of the argument he uses to justify lots of things that lots of people think are bad: patriarchal social organisation, big divide between rich and poor, whatever particular rules in any particular religion that you may thing are bad.

Now this isn't automatically wrong, it's a perfectly acceptable ethical position, but one which many people don't accept, and one which is not completely logically connected. In fact there is a name for arguments which go from "natural" to "good" without sufficient connecting matter and it's the "naturalistic fallacy". If you simply say at the start "my ethical axioms are that what is natural is good and what is efficient is good", then there's no problem there.

So, it's easy to argue that hierarchies evolve naturally, and are a fundamental biological aspect of the way human beings relate to each other (perhaps more appropriate than the amusing lobster analogy would be just to look at how other primates organise, or to just go and watch children on a playground, or read Lord of the flies) , but to say that this means they are good is quite another thing altogether. You can accept such a model for human interaction and say that we can nevertheless strive to transcend those biological imperitives.

raah! wrote: »
    He goes from here, pointing out that these hierarchies, and the religious rules, are natural productions ( and not social constructions etc. ).
    Peterson suggesting that something was a natural production and not a social construction may be problematic. See Peter L. Berger and Thomas Luckmann in The Social Construction of Reality, 1966, where hierarchies and religious rules were treated as social constructions.
    ...one which is not completely logically connected. In fact there is a name for arguments which go from "natural" to "good" without sufficient connecting matter and it's the "naturalistic fallacy".
    Both David Hume and George Edward Moore cautioned about committing naturalistic fallacies, or holding positions that represented unsubstantiated leaps of belief from what exists in social organisation to being natural and good, and what ought to be. Such a fallacy may exist in Peterson's works and readers should be cautioned accordingly.

In a similar manner we might be cautioned about Peterson's works as exhibiting some elements of causal fallacy, or more specifically cum hoc ergo propter hoc (i.e., with this therefore because of this). This fallacy may occur when Peterson mistakenly interpreted two things found together as being causally related (i.e., by treating social constructions as natural when they may or may not be so, with insufficient evidence to support his claims).

Peterson suggesting that something was a natural production and not a social construction may be problematic. See Peter L. Berger and Thomas Luckmann in The Social Construction of Reality, 1966, where hierarchies and religious rules were treated as social constructions.
    I suppose there needs to be a bit more care in using those words there. What Peterson probably (and anyone who makes similar arguments), means, or wants to say, is that the particular forms of social organisation that people tend towards (particular hierarchies etc.), are biologically derived, and independent of a particular culture. The claim is that people "naturally" tend towards certain social constructions. So I guess what is at issue is not really that they are "socially constructed", but that different social constructions are really fungible, and that the ones we have now are just a circumstance of our particular culture.

I think further you can have social constructions on top of what is at root a social system no different from that of the other primates. The baboon with the shiniest healthiest red butt being swapped for the rich person with the shiniest gold heap, or, indeed, the priest best versed in catholic dogma along with the Internet hipster best able to present the hippest styles and ideologies. That is, the social constructions play much the same role as the natural thing (the biological fitness).

I will read more of the wiki page of the reccommended books, but at present I don't see that it is inconsistent with an argument from nature in favour of the herarchies that peterson makes.

Both David Hume and George Edward Moore cautioned about committing naturalistic fallacies, or holding positions that represented unsubstantiated leaps of belief from what exists in social organisation to being natural and good, and what ought to be. Such a fallacy may exist in Peterson's works and readers should be cautioned accordingly.
    Yes, I suppose whether or not he makes such a mistep, depends on how clear he is when he is going from a factual claim to a value claim; how clear he is about laying out his moral axioms, and treating them appropriately as the givens they are.

In a similar manner we might be cautioned about Peterson's works as exhibiting some elements of causal fallacy, or more specifically cum hoc ergo propter hoc (i.e., with this therefore because of this). This fallacy may occur when Peterson mistakenly interpreted two things found together as being causally related (i.e., by treating social constructions as natural when they may or may not be so, with insufficient evidence to support his claims).
    Well yes, I suppose we would have to look what he cites as evidence for those claims. I think the lobster analogy is something he would puts forward in favour of that. It is definitely a huge area though and something I would be very interested to read more about. Again, however, I think we (and Peterson) would need to be a bit more careful about how we make distinctions between "social" and "natural".

I think the lobster analogy is something he would puts forward in favour of that.
    Peterson using lobsters to inform mammal, or specific primate, or more advanced homo sapiens behavior became a humorous stretch of the imagination at best. Gareth Morgan in Images of Organization (1986) suggested that metaphors (or metaphorical analogies that attempt to show two behaviors as similar) may be used to stimulate discussion. But cautioned that they were distortions of reality. Peterson's lobster-human behavior position was metaphor. A distortion of reality. Not real or natural (This critique may have occurred earlier, but deserved reiteration at this point).
    Again, however, I think we (and Peterson) would need to be a bit more careful about how we make distinctions between "social" and "natural".
    Agree.

Again, however, I think we (and Peterson) would need to be a bit more careful about how we make distinctions between "social" and "natural".
    Peterson should be "more careful" indeed about such distinctions between social and natural. Just because a social construction has been about through the course of history does not ensure that it was natural to the species. The nature vs nurture debate comes to mind at this point, which in many cases has not been resolved.

Peterson using lobsters to inform mammal, or specific primate, or more advanced homo sapiens behavior became a humorous stretch of the imagination at best. Gareth Morgan in Images of Organization (1986) suggested that metaphors (or metaphorical analogies that attempt to show two behaviors as similar) may be used to stimulate discussion. But cautioned that they were distortions of reality. Peterson's lobster-human behavior position was metaphor. A distortion of reality. Not real or natural (This critique may have occurred earlier, but deserved reiteration at this point).
    Well I dunno if metaphor is even entirely appropriate for his comparison between how the physiology of both lobsters and humans is affected their position in a social hierarchy. In fact it's not a metaphor at all. He's not saying "people are lobsters", he's saying ... whatever he's saying about the similarities in how peoples' and lobsters' physiologies adapt to social position.

And yes, as I alluded to in a previous post, this point about the "natural" predisposition of humans to organise hierarchically would be better made with reference to other primates; like chimpanzees.

Personally, however, I think the lobster comparison is entertaining and original. (at least I haven't heard it before, but I would still give somebody a thumbs up if they only introduce me to something I haven't seen, whether or not they came up with it themselves.)

Peterson should be "more careful" indeed about such distinctions between social and natural. Just because a social construction has been about through the course of history does not ensure that it was natural to the species. The nature vs nurture debate comes to mind at this point, which in many cases has not been resolved.
    Yes, and I suppose the most pertinent areas of study to this point would be anthropology, psychology, zoology, physiology, neurology and sociolgy. I would start with with the former three, particularly the first, because if you find via anthropological studies that there are many human societies that are not disposed towards hierarchical organisation, then that would be a strong point against Peterson's claims. Of course the "disposed to" would have to be addressed then with physiology etc.

... if you find via anthropological studies that there are many human societies that are not disposed towards hierarchical organisation, then that would be a strong point against Peterson's claims.
    To reiterate, the nature vs nurture debate continues. Just because something has existed during recorded history in most populations (e.g., social organisation in general, or hierarchy specifically) does not ensure that it is natural, and not due to nurture, or what has been passed on from generation to generation. This is a very complex issue, and alternatively, it may or may not be a combination or interaction of the two as suggested by Francis Galton.

Learning. Is it nature or nurture for humans? Or both? It has existed as long, if not longer than hierarchical social structure. Learning has been claimed to be more significant for homo sapiens than other species. Does Peterson ignore the nature vs. nurture controversy that has been debated for centuries?

• Advertisement

Learning. Is it nature or nurture for humans? Or both? It has existed as long, if not longer than hierarchical social structure. Learning has been claimed to be more significant for homo sapiens than other species. Does Peterson ignore the nature vs. nurture controversy that has been debated for centuries?
    He contributes to the debate arguing in favour of a large role played by nature in the determination of social structures. He gives several arguments in favour of this, the comparison with lobsters being one. While you can certainly say that his arguments aren't valid, you cannot claim that he is not making arguments, and therefore ignoring the debate.

So far, in this thread, there hasn't so much been arguments against his thesis, but rather reference to the existence of such arguments.

Advertisement