Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Master's swimming - general standard?

• 28-08-2016 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

I've just sent off an inquiry to a Master's swimming club near me (I'm based in the UK), but while I wait for them to reply, I am wondering if the friendly swimmers here can give me an idea of how fast you would need to be to join an established club? I know that it will depend on the individual club to a very large extent, but I'm curious about people's experiences with the standard expected. For example, would clubs take swimmers barely below 2 mins for a 100 free, or would you need to be closer to 1.30 for 100 free? I just picked that example from thin air, but I hope you get the idea.

I know this is a very vague question and answers will likely vary, but any & all experiences welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

There will be different lanes for different abilities and speeds. You will be put into a lane with other swimmers that will swim around the same as you. If the coach see's that you are a bit fast for that lane they may move you or you may lead it out for the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

i wouldn't sorry about it just go, they'll fit you in somewhere. there's lots of not so fast swimmers doing masters swimming.
    enjoy best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Started this Masters lark myself a few weeks back , by God it's tough going. Never swam in a club (apart from when young, did a few galas etc.) but trained away by myself since January.
    We train 3 mornings a week , I do 2 with the club and an easy session on my own as I really can't cope with 3 tough days a week yet.
    Distances covered in an hour would be anywhere from 1500m to 2k depending on drills etc.
    I am panned afterwards but delighted to be hanging in there. I am in the slow lane but am starting to cope with the workload a bit better and am around 4.15 for the 200 in sets - I can do maybe 5 at that pace. My aim is to get down to below 35 for the Swim For a Mile challenge in April and basically open water long distance after that.
    I love it but I'm ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

buck65 wrote:
    Started this Masters lark myself a few weeks back , by God it's tough going. Never swam in a club (apart from when young, did a few galas etc.) but trained away by myself since January. We train 3 mornings a week , I do 2 with the club and an easy session on my own as I really can't cope with 3 tough days a week yet. Distances covered in an hour would be anywhere from 1500m to 2k depending on drills etc. I am panned afterwards but delighted to be hanging in there. I am in the slow lane but am starting to cope with the workload a bit better and am around 4.15 for the 200 in sets - I can do maybe 5 at that pace. My aim is to get down to below 35 for the Swim For a Mile challenge in April and basically open water long distance after that. I love it but I'm ****ed.

Where do these classes take place as a matter of interest??

• Advertisement
Advertisement