Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wetsuit for open water swimming

• 01-10-2015 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Guys,

With the overwhelming choice that is available on-line I am completely lost and I would need some advice, if possible.

I would like to go back to shape in swimming (used to do a lot at my university time - endurance is gone long time ago but technique is there).
    As I live in coastal area with not really great access to swimming pool (Skerries), sea become an obvious choice. I have no intention to do triathlons so suits that offer solutions for quick change are not important to me, neither buoyancy compensation stuff.
    Are there any suits that would allow some temperature comfort in coming months, if any at all?
    Willing to spend 200 - 250 - not sure how reasonable is this.
    Would you suggest any brands / models?
    Could you share your experience if you are swimming in open water through winter?

regards,
    Sagitt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

I got one of these http://www.wiggle.com/orca-trn-thermo-wetsuit-2014-wiggle-exclusive/
    I think the most important thing with the size guide is the height, I'm 6' and bought a size 10
    Great value and fit, couldn't justify spending big money on a suit that could easly get damaged on rocks etc.
    I've ordered gloves and boots, i wear two silicone swim caps. Hope to swim through the winter when weather permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

The local scanger kids pick up cheap ones in Aldi or Lidl

Yes, I don't know what I was thinking by suggesting that the OP should purchase good value suit.

As any swimmer of considerable experience knows it's important to maintain an air of elitism at all times after all if anything is important in swimming it's social standing or at least the conveyance of such.

You should really consider a high end HUUB or ZERO wet suit as you start swimming to get fit. Not only will they shave valuable seconds off your 4km warm up swim time but bystanders will know at a glance, "that guys a serious swimmer"

It's also worth taking into account that more expensive suits have a higher level of magic fairy dust bonded into the neoprene this allows you to swim like a true child of Neptune right from the start.

All that said you could get a suit from Aldi or Lidl but be warned there may be ques of local kids buying them to have some fun in the water on a sunny day!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes they do, but they don't swim in them. No flexibility in arms, shoulders or legs and if you do try swimming in it then you'll end up with neck burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sagitt

ted1 wrote: »
    Yes they do, but they don't swim in them. No flexibility in arms, shoulders or legs and if you do try swimming in it then you'll end up with neck burn.

Yes, this is exactly what happened to me. I have bought one of them on Lidl three years ago, and it would be good for snorkeling or just being in the water. I swam in it couple of times, and my experience is as follow:
    - breathing - difficult to get full and deep breath as it is tight in chest
    - flexibility - had that feeling that I could not stretch my arms enough
    - chaffing - after anything bigger that 1 km neck is burning red and armpits as well

Overall experience is poor while swimming, what is no surprise to me as these wetsuits are not designed for swimming. Sunny day and sitting in the water - no problems here.

regards,
    Sagitt

• Advertisement

bradnailer wrote: »
    I got one of these http://www.wiggle.com/orca-trn-thermo-wetsuit-2014-wiggle-exclusive/
    I think the most important thing with the size guide is the height, I'm 6' and bought a size 10
    Great value and fit, couldn't justify spending big money on a suit that could easly get damaged on rocks etc.
    I've ordered gloves and boots, i wear two silicone swim caps. Hope to swim through the winter when weather permits.

thanks bradnailer, I have read reviews for Orca's and people points out durability problems - easy to tear.
    Any observation like that from your experience?

Sagitt wrote: »
    thanks bradnailer, I have read reviews for Orca's and people points out durability problems - easy to tear.
    Any observation like that from your experience?

I suppose it's like anything it depends how you treat it, there are cotton gloves supplied with the suit, using those coupled with a proper fitting process (youtube) you shouldn't have any problems. Mine gets well rinsed in fresh water and hung to dry after every use. If for some reason you do manage to tear it as is possible with all suits you could buy three of these before you reach the cost of a top level suit. If your currently planning on swimming to get fit I think it's ideal.

Make sure you get a large rounded hanger for it like one that would comes with a dress suit.
    Initially I got assistance fitting it around my shoulders and zipping up, but now I can manage this on my own.
    If your taking it off in a car park etc make sure you have a mat or something to stand on.

Good luck with the swimming whatever you get.

bradnailer wrote: »
    I suppose it's like anything it depends how you treat it, there are cotton gloves supplied with the suit, using those coupled with a proper fitting process (youtube) you shouldn't have any problems. Mine gets well rinsed in fresh water and hung to dry after every use. If for some reason you do manage to tear it as is possible with all suits you could buy three of these before you reach the cost of a top level suit. If your currently planning on swimming to get fit I think it's ideal.

thank you very much for your time. That is my plan - to get fit while swimming. Living 10 minutes walking distance from nearest beach it is a waste of opportunity not to go for swimming.
    On wiggle site there are also blueseventy pivot and dhb wetsuits in similar price range, what made you to choose orca before them two, if I you do not mind me asking?

Sagitt wrote: »
    thank you very much for your time. That is my plan - to get fit while swimming. Living 10 minutes walking distance from nearest beach it is a waste of opportunity not to go for swimming.
    On wiggle site there are also blueseventy pivot and dhb wetsuits in similar price range, what made you to choose orca before them two, if I you do not mind me asking?

Didn't spend to much time comparing etc, just wanted something to keep me warm. Seen the Orca ticked all my boxes so I bought it.
    In this morning 1.8K it kept me warm so it's still working:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gardenome

Did you get a wetsuit for winter swimming that kept you warm? My son is about to undertake some open water lifeguard training (in winter!) and will need something to keep warm while in the water for long periods at a time.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

My 3mm shortie isn't cutting it in the Atlantic anymore. :( Been looking online at winter wetsuits, now seems to be a good time to buy (end of season for a lot of people). I'm just wondering about the differences in thickness for people, I'm accustomed to a certain level of flexibility, so I'm wondering if a 5/4 will be okay, or should I be looking more along the lines of a 5/3?

Advertisement