Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Open sea swim calendar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Seeing as there is a sizeable amount of Triathletes who would be interested in these races, a good way to get membership of Swim Ireland is to join the new 3D Masters Swimming Club, set up as a separate entity by 3D Tri Club. You don't have to be a 3D Tri member (or TI member), but it will cost €49. You will then get a Swim Ireland membership number, access to OW training group swims (mostly Dublin based), and more importantly be surrounded by fellow wetsuit devotees who will offer understanding and sympathy as you complain of the cold and hardship of being forced to race skins;)

(I've no connection to the above besides being a member, just thought it might appeal to some from here too)

Here's another option, you could join the Irish Long Distance Swimming Association http://www.ildsa.info/index.php/join

You could join for a year for €45 and this includes Swim Ireland membership.

There is an option to join for 3 months but I'm not sure that includes SI membership.

I'm not a member, it's just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

pc11 wrote: »
    Thanks Mad_m. I'm glad to hear this. I'm still a little doubtful we would be welcomed with open arms, based on conversations with swimmers, but I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.

What is the typical entry fee for races?

Mainly 10euro, but for charity races it's 20 and around 30 for Dun Laoghaire and Liffey swims.

Just putting this out there, to Join swim Ireland through Templeogue Masters your yearly charge is cheaper than 45 euro that ILDSA are charging, I think it's around 39euro. You can contact Brian Sweeney to register teamtsccoach@eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

What a brilliant race! The water was bloody freezing at first though!:D But you soon got used to it. Nice bit of chop involved swimming between the orange bouys, and sighting off Howth Head was a nice touch. I got dragged a little left at the final section too- a combination of the current and sighting a little too far left. I was one of the last ones out- can I blame that on a too-tough first handicap, or my own abilities (lack of!);) Well done Glenalbyn Masters- can't wait for the next one!

On the wetsuit thing- this was my first time doing a swim race without the wetsuit, and I have to say it makes for a much better and freer way of racing. There were a couple of suits I saw, but the vast majority went skins. You don't notice the cold once you're swimming.

What a brilliant race! The water was bloody freezing at first though!:D But you soon got used to it. Nice bit of chop involved swimming between the orange bouys, and sighting off Howth Head was a nice touch. I got dragged a little left at the final section too- a combination of the current and sighting a little too far left. I was one of the last ones out- can I blame that on a too-tough first handicap, or my own abilities (lack of!);) Well done Glenalbyn Masters- can't wait for the next one!
    On the wetsuit thing- this was my first time doing a swim race without the wetsuit, and I have to say it makes for a much better and freer way of racing. There were a couple of suits I saw, but the vast majority went skins. You don't notice the cold once you're swimming.

Kurt what handicap did you get.? Also I was told the 2nd orange buoy came unstuck so you were swimming towards a buoy that was moving away, sure isn't it a wonder we ended up so far left:D

The suits you saw were probably those anti jelly fish suits which look like a wetsuit. Totally legal.

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    Kurt what handicap did you get.? Also I was told the 2nd orange buoy came unstuck so you were swimming towards a buoy that was moving away, sure isn't it a wonder we ended up so far left:D

My handicap was 6:15. It made for an interesting first half as I got to see just how fast some of those passing sharks are in the water!

Ah it will drop like a stone in next couple of races to give you a chance, plus its to give the handicapper a chance to judge you. Only a few passed me but then again I was off course a good bit.:rolleyes:

Oh the results are up on website if you want to see your time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Great first race for the season, wasn't as cold as I thought once you got going. Came out mid pack but ended up 12th fastest so happy about that.

Roll on next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ocisorrenta

Ah it will drop like a stone in next couple of races to give you a chance, plus its to give the handicapper a chance to judge you. Only a few passed me but then again I was off course a good bit.:rolleyes:

Oh the results are up on website if you want to see your time

Dunno about the "drop like a stone" business. I swam for the first time last year and got an incredulous 8mins the first day. After beating five home it only dropped to 6.30 and 6.45 for the next two races. Most people swimming the times, c29mins, I was then were under 4mins.

I suppose I'll have to reserve judgement until I open my account this year on Sunday.

Dunno about the "drop like a stone" business. I swam for the first time last year and got an incredulous 8mins the first day. After beating five home it only dropped to 6.30 and 6.45 for the next two races. Most people swimming the times, c29mins, I was then were under 4mins.

I suppose I'll have to reserve judgement until I open my account this year on Sunday.

Well for your first sea swim you will get a high handicap, its to see what your like with times etc. going from 8min down to 6:30 is alot. But this is also based on your actual swim time. You must be a fast cookie:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Mermaria

Thanks Mad_m. I'm glad to hear this. I'm still a little doubtful we would be welcomed with open arms, based on conversations with swimmers, but I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.

In Leinster region the swims are under FINA rules. However the wetsuit were allowed for medical reasons.

My suggestion is request the permission through your swimming club. However, on the day of the race, the handicapper has the last word.

There has been same issue with wetsuitters, tri mainly, aggressive toward weaker swimmers and the spirit of the handicap system. The swimming is a healthy life style for all ages. You can learn to swim before to walk and you can keep swimming when your legs are too weak for walk.

From the competitive point of view, as you should be able to swim a mile, you should be able to swim in cold or under a strong sun. The environment, acclimatization, is an important part of the sport. The use of a wetsuit is the equivalent of use of oxygen when climbing a 8k or the use of an electrical bike in an Ironman.

ILDSA has a goal to promote the OW swimming for this reason their schedule events for wetsuitters and skinners, register and non register swimmers.

There is an option to join for 3 months but I'm not sure that includes SI membership.

They removed this option for renewals. I mean you have to pay the full year if you are renewing the SI membership and half if it is your first time as SI member from one date in July.

ILDSA membership are dearer than most of SI clubs. Another option is set up your own SC. Most of the clubs have an extra for the pool sessions, to cover lost when there is little attendance.

There are two sport centres in Dublin (that I know) who have a SC membership in SI, Maveric pool (Atlantic SC I think) and Westwood. You will only have to paid the Swim Ireland fees.

If you are already register in a foreign swimming federation, you don't need to become member of SI but you have to provide evidence and permission from your swimming federation. All the minor swims are open and the major swims have separate set of prizes for visiting swimmers.

By the way, well done to all new skinnies

Mermaria wrote: »
    In Leinster region the swims are under FINA rules. However the wetsuit were allowed for medical reasons.

My suggestion is request the permission through your swimming club. However, on the day of the race, the handicapper has the last word.

There has been same issue with wetsuitters, tri mainly, aggressive toward weaker swimmers and the spirit of the handicap system. The swimming is a healthy life style for all ages. You can learn to swim before to walk and you can keep swimming when your legs are too weak for walk.

From the competitive point of view, as you should be able to swim a mile, you should be able to swim in cold or under a strong sun. The environment, acclimatization, is an important part of the sport. The use of a wetsuit is the equivalent of use of oxygen when climbing a 8k or the use of an electrical bike in an Ironman.

ILDSA has a goal to promote the OW swimming for this reason their schedule events for wetsuitters and skinners, register and non register swimmers.

Ah, this is more like the attitude I was expecting. Wetsuits are not really welcome at all. In fact, we might as well be Lance Armstrong and presumably should be barred from the sport for life.

Good to know.

Ah, this is more like the attitude I was expecting. Wetsuits are not really welcome at all. In fact, we might as well be Lance Armstrong and presumably should be barred from the sport for life.

Good to know.

My suggestion is read my post more carefully.

The wetsuit are well come. What is not well come is an aptitude like the above of you.

Unfortunately in the past, same wetsuitters have causing serious incidents at all levels, even administrative/legal level.

Why do you want to take part in a sport event when you reject the international rules for that sport? Have you realised that you are actually rejecting the sport in itself?

Why a swimming federation should adapt their rules to a person who isn't really interested on swimming at all?

Have you ever seen a Leinster Swim?

The pre-go are far away from being Lance Amstrong! there are same children and people with a physical disability ... all of them with a chance to win

Be brave and take off your wetsuit

Did many here swim the NAC Masters race last night? (Couldn't make it myself). That is some savage time from Conor Turner!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

That is some savage time from Conor Turner!

Conor was only out gunned by one other Aer Lingus Swimmer last year (I think). They take it to another level !

EDIT: I just checked howdidyouswim.com and Conor has the perfect 10 .... sorry

Did many here swim the NAC Masters race last night? (Couldn't make it myself). That is some savage time from Conor Turner!

Water was grand. But little bit dirty at end plus some amount of bodies (150 swimmers) when your in the pack but in fairness to NAC masters they run a great race but the finish is terrible. Conor turners time is unreal. Just working out if he swam every race he would probably make a profit in prize money. Our club race in couple weeks has a prize I think of 50euro for fastest time.if only I could turn back the clock id be in the pool at birth :)

Hats of to Meath Masters today. Great 1.6k race, water was lovely in Loch Lene plus the free baked spud plus all the trimmings was great at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Don't the docklands swim, was a good race. Water was grand and the sun was out.

As mentioned before the finish was terrible but it was better than last year.

I was like 12th fastest so well happy. I can only image doing a time like Conor!

@pc11

Check this out maybe for your first swim. As it says on link wetsuits welcome.

http://leinsteropensea.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2014-Directors-to-Wexform-Masters-Curracloe.pdf

@pc11

Check this out maybe for your first swim. As it says on link wetsuits welcome.

http://leinsteropensea.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2014-Directors-to-Wexform-Masters-Curracloe.pdf

Thanks, but I've done many OW races, including that swim. I'm not new to OW swimming, I just haven't done one in skin.

• Advertisement

..... I just haven't done one in skin.

Then it's time to start a specific training to be a skinny. I know what is a cold shock and now I race in bikini without hat soon. I think here there is plenty of people who has been on your skin before ... sorry I meant on your wetsuit :) The challenge worthy.

Are you doing the ironman this Sunday in Killiney?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

anybody know why there's only ladies results available from Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

Apparently Frank wasn't there so there is some back population of spreadsheets needed

Eoin was there, Frank was maybe on holidays and still probably still is, I know who winner was if thats any help?

just looking to compare my actual race time to the speedsters is all :)
    it's up now btw ....

just looking to compare my actual race time to the speedsters is all :)
    it's up now btw ....

Ah you weren't far behind me!

Ah you weren't far behind me!

yeah, but I started in front of you lol

Lovely water temperature today at Wicklow Harbour for the Healy O’Kane Race. Coming from Triathlon, I continue to be astonished at the overall high(er) level of these SI races. Had a lower handicap than last time (5 mins), and just about managed to get into the top 100 (literally, coming 100th ;)). Its an honest assessment though, gave it what I had on the day, more training needed, always more training needed:)

Any boardsies doing killiney in the morning, I'll be in a red Sandycove Island swim hat .... Say hello!

• Advertisement

Any boardsies doing killiney in the morning, I'll be in a red Sandycove Island swim hat .... Say hello!

Will do, I want one of those hats! :)

Advertisement