Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Here we go again - Leinster OSC 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

What a day, what a race. Sea was wonderful. Congrats to Dublin SC on their 130year birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭BillieBob

Great day there on Sunday, many thanks to Dublin SC who let me swim even tho' registration had closed and it was my first open-water swim!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭swimmer_hoop

Tomorrow morning's race has been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

Anyone know if the cancelled races are going to be rescheduled?

I think 4 have been cancelled so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭rokossovsky

Finelli wrote: »
    Anyone know if the cancelled races are going to be rescheduled?

I think 4 have been cancelled so far.

Time and tides allowing, I am sure that they will be re-run - however, you can expect mid week late swims in awkward places to get to!

• Advertisement

From the Leinster website:
    Races Cancelled
    The Siobhan McKenna on 26/6 and Garda Races on 2/7 were both cancelled and will be rescheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PBPumpkin

I just heard that Saturday's race has been postponed until August.

Anyone know if this evenings swim in Kiliney is going ahead?

PBPumpkin wrote: »
    I just heard that Saturday's race has been postponed until August.

Anyone know if this evenings swim in Kiliney is going ahead?

I havnt heard anything to the contrary so I'll be there

Guinness Chairty Race Sat 23 Jul - Cancelled
    Due to the death of Johnny Cowman Guinness S.C., father of Pat Cowman, Treasurer Guinness S.C., the Charity sea swim on Saturday at Windsurfers Pier has been cancelled. It will be rearranged for Tuesday 23 Aug, details to follow. Please pass on to your members

From Swim leinster website.

What's peoples opinions on the use of number tickets in the mens race?

I know they're used in the Ladies race with alot of success, but I think it's only a matter of time until there's a dust up(?) in the mens race.

Especially when you have a big group of fellas finishing together...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I dont really see the problem. There were always big groups of men finishing together. Outside of the top 20 it dosent really matter where you are. I can see the logic of tickets from a safety point of view but it certainly slows things down by having to give your name and hand your ticket back.
    If one is the type of person who is going to argue over whether they were 75th or 78th well then i dont think these races are for them.
    While there is certainly a competitive element the vast majority of swimmers (in my experience) do it for the fun and social element..

Seen couple blokes go mad for grabbing 40+ tickets at weekend, on one occassion I heard someone grabbed a low number (Top 10 Numbers) out of another swimmers hand while it was being placed into his hand, very un gentlemen like I think....

On one hand its nice to know what place you got instead of waiting for it to show up on website, but to be honest I liked going into swimleinster website and looking up my place, but still have to do it to get my race time....

It seems its here to stay so we will have to suck it up unless they come up with something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

Whats the difference if all races are handicapped anyway? %)

Electronic chip timing would be great on the other hand I would pay an extra fiver for that and I'm sure it wouldn't even be that expensive

In fairness to Martin the tickets make his life a bit easier too. He has a record there and then of the finishers. Other than that he can spend up to 3 hrs sorting out a finishers list from endlessly playing and replaying a garbled tape, comparing that tape with a secondary tape etc etc. Now how many swimmers would spend a few hours doing that job after the race is finished? As for the safety issue of making sure that everyone gets out of the water and is accounted for, well that is essential.
    However the issue could be simply resolved by coming into the 21st century and issuing all competitiors with a chip at the start of the season. If you lose a chip then you pay for another before being let into another race. Once or twice doing that should cure people if there is a tendancy to lose them. It would also have other benefits. Position, race time, championship points, prize giving would all be sorted out by the time we were dried and dressed. Its time for OSC to bite the bullet and get a contractor in to assess our needs wrt finishes. It is managed simply the world over. Some races have water finishes, some land finishes. It just takes a bit of thought and a willingness on behalf of swimmers to buy into the process. Go to any triathlon in Ireland now and you will have all your splits from a complex event (including your transition times) before you get into your car to drive home. It can be done, there are companies able to achieve this.

I often wondered when we'd get the tickets to be honest, even though I can understand the concern with fights etc. between the guys as opposed to the girls (although I've seen some heated battles for the cards with the girls before!)

There's no way that electronic timing would be cost efficient to be used all year round.

Obviously there are advantages but the card system seems to be the best of both worlds, names listed in order & a time printout of each ticket, simples! It is also much more efficient then the name shouting as you get a far more accurate measure of where and when people actually finish(very important for the fastest times results for the backmarkers)

P.S. The timing chips used for the Lee Swim last weekend were very comfy to wear and we got a text with our position & time which was a nice touch.

There's no way that electronic timing would be cost efficient to be used all year round.

Has the chip system ever been properly priced? How do you know how much it would cost to supply for 30 races if you are just comparing it to one offs like the Liffey a few years ago?

P.S. The timing chips used for the Lee Swim last weekend were very comfy to wear and we got a text with our position & time which was a nice touch.

Nuff said

Get a company in to price the entire system for the season and then lets see how much that would cost per swimmer per season. Until we have facts we are only speculating on a price.

Q-ing up to give your name in for 20 minutes might have just about worked last weekend but could you imagine compliance on some of those swims in June? Forget it. I for one would be off dressed and in me car and then you d have some poor bloke going around shouting out numbers and hoping for the best. Chips can also handle multiple people clocking at the same time, so very little delays incurred.

I agree re: pricing however I was basing my argument on the fact that in the only swims of the year that use chips (Liffey Swim and Harbour Race) the common factor is that they are both more expensive(€30 vs €10) i know that there is costs regarding hats/t-shirts but even saying that the chips themselves cost approx €10 extra p.p. ould you afford to pay €20 per race? I know I couldn't. Sorry I know it's all speculation on costs.

What's to stop you getting changed and then going back wih your number to give your name after you're dressed? That's what I did out in Wicklow.

I don't recall the Liffey or Harbour swims being much cheaper BEFORE they started using the timing chips.

It'd be good to find out how much the system would be for a whole season.

Pumpkin You''re right. The tee shirts and silicone hats cost a fortune. I have tee shirts coming out me ears and would rather not pay for one or even be given the option on whether or not

• Advertisement

Anyone hear how Tommy Dorgan went?

I was meant to swim but couldn't make it in the end

First 4k were grand. Then it rained and the sea developed a little lump with the wind. Race cancelled half way through. Dunno how that worked??

Shane Drumm was first in....A good few came in on boats. A few pulled from water at last marker from what I heard....

Anyone notice the results for Galway?

The ladies race shows the Garda results & the times/handicaps in the mens results don't make any sense...............

Right Lads and Ladies,
    any obvious favourites for Sunday?:)

It's all about the handicap!

Right Lads and Ladies,
    any obvious favourites for Sunday?:)

Seamus Stacey....He is on fire at present....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Willy Mc Keon or Stevie Doyle...

Not me anyway...

mad m wrote: »
    Seamus Stacey....He is on fire at present....

Somebody bring Seamus out for a rake of pints on Saturday night:P

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Willy Mc Keon or Stevie Doyle...

Not me anyway...

Stevie Doyle(great battler)but I'd say no way, he will probably be top 10 like last year. Now Bill Mckeown hmmm, he is normally off same time as me and swims his heart out and is doing nicely but he will get a heavy handicap I reckon or he will get a chance/gimme....

Advertisement