Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

bk1991 wrote: »
    thanks a millino for the pictures and adbice guys .

If i can sell the bale handler that i have made for (400€) i would be breaking even i will no dout make the hydralic one .

if ye can give me some measurements it would be great .

the rossmore one is basicaly a regtangular section made out of box with two uprights for pins. And then two bits of box at top and middle way down frame with length box at front for pins . With sheet steel on front .
    what dia are the tubes ? Are theese just tubelar steel with large washer welded on end to hold with bolt or are the different.

is steel 4x4 box?
    and 3x2

what length are uprights that have ram and tines on ?

i would try and make without sheat steel . can u give me following measurments please if ye have the time .

B2703279806345B394BDA586A1A99596.jpg

FDD8A8F26E174B5F8BD017E57B37F63A.jpg
    PIECE LABELLED SIZE IN INCHES
    a 50
    b 28.5
    c 11
    d 11
    e 4
    f 4
    1 7
    2 11
    Hope this helps all the steel is 3x3 box except for the pieces you labelled 1 and 2 which is 3x2 box.
    The uprights that have ram and tines on are 4x4box and are 32.5 inches tall.
    Didnt happen to get diameter of the rollers will try to get them, but ya there held on by something similar to the way you have yours done.
    By the way did you ever consider adapting your current one to make it a hydraulic one?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

iano93 wrote: »
    PIECE LABELLED SIZE IN INCHES
    a 50
    b 28.5
    c 11
    d 11
    e 4
    f 4
    1 7
    2 11
    Hope this helps all the steel is 3x3 box except for the pieces you labelled 1 and 2 which is 3x2 box.
    The uprights that have ram and tines on are 4x4box and are 32.5 inches tall.
    Didnt happen to get diameter of the rollers will try to get them, but ya there held on by something similar to the way you have yours done.
    By the way did you ever consider adapting your current one to make it a hydraulic one?

cheers for them measurements . yea i had that idea but would rather make from scratch . more enjoymeny in seeing it come together .that is if i can sell it . no one will be willing pay 400 for it anyway and thats what it cost .

bk1991

cheers for them measurements . yea i had that idea but would rather make from scratch . more enjoymeny in seeing it come together .that is if i can sell it . no one will be willing pay 400 for it anyway and thats what it cost .

bk1991
    no bother, sorry just made one mistake dat piece you labelled 2 is meant to be 10 inches!
    Yes i suppose your right but it would be worth putting it up on donedeal you'd never know like i'm sure to buy a new one of them would be more than 400?

Since that last post

I have made two drawings which i am attaching i have added some measurements but would like if you could tell me what the others is . I have decided that i would two lengths of 3x 2 across front instead of plate one on top other running from the two protruding 3x2's .
    What are the diameter of pins are they 2inch ? And ram what's closed and open length and diameter of chrome inner tube and diameter yellow outer tube ?
    i am trying get cutting list of steel and see costs steel .
    tines and bushings will be 140€
    brackets will prob be 70€
    ram and pipes will be in or around 100-150 i would say hope fully cheeper .
    will prob work out dearer than new one .But will see anyway . whats price new one 1200€-1400€
    bk1991

D9EA3AFAC9F24C7D83FC10A60725F35E-800.jpg
    6ED863719D5F4A54954CF1625A3CCA47-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

The last time i checked, a new rossmore one the same as the one in the pic and my one is 1250

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Must admit pretty neatly priced at 800 and the fact u can turn it over would probably cum n handy sometime! price of a new rossmore will be at least 1100 upwards!

Since that last post

I have made two drawings which i am attaching i have added some measurements but would like if you could tell me what the others is . I have decided that i would two lengths of 3x 2 across front instead of plate one on top other running from the two protruding 3x2's .
    What are the diameter of pins are they 2inch ? And ram what's closed and open length and diameter of chrome inner tube and diameter yellow outer tube ?
    i am trying get cutting list of steel and see costs steel .
    tines and bushings will be 140€
    brackets will prob be 70€
    ram and pipes will be in or around 100-150 i would say hope fully cheeper .
    will prob work out dearer than new one .But will see anyway . whats price new one 1200€-1400€
    bk1991

D9EA3AFAC9F24C7D83FC10A60725F35E-800.jpg
    6ED863719D5F4A54954CF1625A3CCA47-800.jpg
    Right from wat i can see a lot of these measurments are the same as the ones before but mayb i'm wrong? Well A is 4 inches.
    B is 28.5 inches and C is 7 inches from wat i can see. and as for 1, 2 and 3 I'm slightly confused is the measurment 2 the distance down where the ram connects in?
    And is the measurment 1 half the height of the vertical box which ram and tines are on? If this is correct den it will be just over 16 inches.
    Will try to get some more of ur measurments soon just how do u suggest i get the diameter of the ram or do u just want a rough measure?

iano93 wrote: »
    Right from wat i can see a lot of these measurments are the same as the ones before but mayb i'm wrong? Well A is 4 inches.
    B is 28.5 inches and C is 7 inches from wat i can see. and as for 1, 2 and 3 I'm slightly confused is the measurment 2 the distance down where the ram connects in?
    And is the measurment 1 half the height of the vertical box which ram and tines are on? If this is correct den it will be just over 16 inches.
    Will try to get some more of ur measurments soon just how do u suggest i get the diameter of the ram or do u just want a rough measure?

1. is mesurement from bottom of upright (tine bottom and ram top) to centre point of pin hole .

2 .is centre point from top of upright

3 .is from top(ram centre point to pin centre point .

rough measurement of ram would be ok . .

i was thinking of makeing bale handler completly different il put up rough sketch in few mins would pro involve two small rams mabey could get away with one .

just adding the new idea .

bascialy it is a regtangular fram like my first handler with a length of heavy duty box welded in middle on front of bottom bar and haveing two slighty smaller bow slideing into this middle peich with tow upright bits box for tinesand rolers, would i need two smal rams one for eatch side or can one ram be got that pushes out both sides ?

hard to see but the different parts is in diff colours .frame is green ,telescopeing peicies is in blue and telescopeing frame is brown .

7E69A41D38EA4FA0ABADDF7B8467C5AC-800.jpg

09AB65E546214E2A94581517CF1FF131-800.jpg

2A15D8DAF77745A6853C87FD52A2F7C2-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Seems like there is a few guys going into competition with McHale and the likes for these handlers.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/1363664

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/1319874

would my idea work ?

bk1991

will it work when you want to stack wrapped bales? lets say in the rossmore and all the common ones when the ram is on top and bale is squeezed in, now when you want to release a bale you gently release the rollers and the bale rolls thru as the rollers are pulled back, if your rollers are sliding out im not sure it will have the same effect, the bale might just plop out, the rossmore rollers move back at an angle where as your will just move straight out from the bale..might not make any difference

will it work when you want to stack wrapped bales? lets say in the rossmore and all the common ones when the ram is on top and bale is squeezed in, now when you want to release a bale you gently release the rollers and the bale rolls thru as the rollers are pulled back, if your rollers are sliding out im not sure it will have the same effect, the bale might just plop out, the rossmore rollers move back at an angle where as your will just move straight out from the bale..might not make any difference

never taught of that . it would need two rams other wise one side would probly push out further than other or vise versa .

bk1991

@ bk1991....Only thing i would worry about would be that if the ram is on the bottom u wont get the same leverage to squeeze the bale compared to say the rossmore one where the ram is on top and the uprights provide the leverage to squeeze bale. ( i apologize if i'm wrong dats just my opinion)
    Will try to get the rest of measurments soon for ya!

@ Tora Bora.........The first one looks distinctly like a second hand rossmore even the way the rollers are held on is identical and everything else looks identical too it aswell. I'd say that lad sandblasted his rossmore one and did a good paint job on it and is chancing his arm nw selling it new!;) (maybe i'm wrong) i also see the hoses arent actually coming from the ram but i wouldnt mind that!
    But second one looks savage value!

how would ye think my bale handerl would modify to this one ?

http://www.brownsagricultural.co.uk/Product.asp?productCode=e4299f5a-69cd-43a4-8476-6f36a3c50540

all id need is pins ,bushes,ram,steel ,have the frame and tines .

what is usualy the full open width and closed width ?

bk1991

http://www.brownsagricultural.co.uk/Product.asp?productCode=e4299f5a-69cd-43a4-8476-6f36a3c50540

bk1991
    looks a bit light does it, where the legs are anchored to frame would be under fair pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

bk1991

I don't really see the advantage of having the ram below the frame. I reckon it would be more susceptible to damage down there. TBH if i was making one myself i'd just copy the McHale handler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

just thought I would add my little bit to this - its not really a labour saving thing but it might help some fellas.

when everever I am spreading fertiliser in a field that I know I will traveling in that field in the winter e.g. putting out slurry, I always shake a lot more fertiliser around the gap (x3 what the field might get) as the extra grass cover will help protect ploughing up the field.

have been doing this for years and it makes an awful difference to traveling in and out of gaps in winter/early spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Here are a few pics I took this evening of a bull creep I started making on Saturday. Bearing in mind my welding skills or experience are very limited, I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. Don't look too closely at the 'welds', cos I blew alot of holes in the box section!! :o [/COLOR]

I designed it for feeding one or two bulls at a time in a shed. I'm only small scale so couldn't justify the money or the space on a bought one.

I didn't give it a lick of paint yet, cos I want to give it a test run first. I'm sure I'I have to make alterations!

I know there's alot of lads on here who know a thing or two about creeps and feeding bulls, so I welcome all your opinions, criticisms and suggestions!

Thanks

Muckit

p2090032.jpg

p2090034j.jpg

p2090028.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭stanflt

nice job

all you need is a lick of paint:)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭joto

Good job, fair play.
    I would just add that maybe cover the ends with a sheet to prevent heads/legs going in?
    Also, cut the bolts that are sticking out and run your hand all the way round it, any sharp edges or sharp joints need to be smoothed out.
    Is it steady, will you be fixing it someway?
    I'm sure there's probably a paint specification too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Tasty looking job muckit . You might even get a few orders on here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

muckit you may have to lower the height that the meal drops into the sink as you might find that the sinks get too full and they waste alot by noseing it out on to the ground.good job guntering.:D

leg wax wrote: »
    muckit you may have to lower the height that the meal drops into the sink

Yes this is a concern Legwax. Thanks for input. I'I prob add a bit of plywood or something. ;) I wanted to make sure they had enough 'headroom' though. That's why I mounted hopper with slope the other way too. Trail and error

joto wrote: »
    Is it steady, will you be fixing it someway?
    QUOTE]

Just tied it to the barrier behind it for the moment. I did think it'd be a bit inbalanced because of way hopper is mounted, but it's not too bad.

Thinking of putting another moveable leg directly under the hopper so that it could be freestanding.

I'I cut the ends off those bolts. I did run a mop disc on the trough edges ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Good job muckit!!

That box iron is hard welded when you're starting out. Many's a hole I burned in the stuff. Time and practice and you'll be running smooth continuous welds with your eyes closed. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭emaherx

Great work Muckit.
    Good to see this thread revived, maybe we will get a few more innovations.

reilig wrote: »
    Good job muckit!!

That box iron is hard welded when you're starting out. Many's a hole I burned in the stuff. ;)

There was some string of curses there one night when things were going particularly bad! :D:D

I splashed out on an automatic welding shield. Wow, what an ingenius piece of kit. A God send when you are an amateur like me. :rolleyes:

I did a very basic evening welding course with FAS there about 4 years ago. We had the basic welding shield. I always found it hard to start the arc in the right location. I'd eye it up, then flip down the mask and hadn't a clue where I was!

I'I never forget the night we were doing a bit of fillet welding. I verred off track and ended up welding a piece of flat to the bench!!!! :eek::D :D:D All the other lads were wondering where the instructor was going with the angle grinder!!

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    Good to see this thread revived, maybe we will get a few more innovations.

Ya I like to see what lads are up too. The project doesn't have to be a big one. It's the small little novel ideas that I like best.

Advertisement