Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

family didnt want to get involved wth the funeral.

Options
  • 25-01-2021 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

One of the neighbours died last week from covid.He wasn't married,didn't have any children.He had 2 sisters who he didn't get along with.Was talking to one of the neighbours the other day.Neighbour was saying family (2 sisters) didn't want to get involved with the funeral (costs ect).How does that work?
    I have never heard of this before.!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

thebourke wrote: »
    One of the neighbours died last week from covid.He wasn't married,didn't have any children.He had 2 sisters who he didn't get along with.Was talking to one of the neighbours the other day.Neighbour was saying family (2 sisters) didn't want to get involved with the funeral (costs ect).How does that work?
    I have never heard of this before.!

His estate would pay for it. Known as a paupers funeral, when no family member or friend wants to get involved, the council engage an undertaker to bury the deceased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Wilhelm III

Jeez, that's quite sad. Rest in Peace Old Chap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

I last met him on xmas eve wishing him a happy xmas and gave him a box of biscuits....he was saying that when he passed away he would be leaving his house to cats and dogs home as they were his loyal friends (he had a dog).Obviously had a bad breakup with his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Wilhelm III

thebourke wrote: »
    I last met him on xmas eve wishing him a happy xmas and gave him a box of biscuits....he was saying that when he passed away he would be leaving his house to cats and dogs home as they were his loyal friends (he had a dog).Obviously had a bad breakup with his family.
    Hopefully he did just that, if that's what he wanted. And good on you, that's the type of thing you'd regret not doing if you hadn't done so - like a 'Ah maybe I'll leave it, sure I'll see him next year!...) - at least he knew somebody was thinking about him, so fair play.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I know of a similar scenario. I don't think it was an estrangement as such, more that they lost contact, lived in different countries, and drifted apart. The person had arranged with the local undertaker, what they wanted, so it's quite possible your neighbour had done likewise.

I'm sure you are glad that you did see him at Christmas, and wish him well. As pp said, at least he knew someone was thinking of him, and bought something for him, in honour of the season, fair play.

May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

you never know what goes on behind closed doors that led to his estrangement from his sisters. Strictly speaking its their business, and they dont have to explain their actions and motivations.

if you want to know what happens next, his 'estate' will pay for funeral if his assets can cover it. read this if you want to know more
    https://extra.ie/2017/02/20/news/irish-news/body-unclaimed-due-to-funeral-costs

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

His estate would pay for it. Known as a paupers funeral, when no family member or friend wants to get involved, the council engage an undertaker to bury the deceased.
    It's not paupers funeral when he has an estate. A pauper's funeral is when the council pay to bury someone of no means

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If the man had eg a house or assets? When my mother died in the UK the solicitors knew there were assets ie a house and took the funeral money out before remitting it to me.

Else utterly shameful of the family .

Advertisement