Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super XV Rugby 2019

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah I wouldnt be too disheartened with your blues YR. They were a couple of kicks and a Collins error from winning that game. Definitely fronted up defensively where they were lacking before.

Amazing to think that akira ioane had played every blues game for the last two seasons (every minute bar 10 last season)

They could push the chiefs into last place in the NZ conference this season

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Chiefs playing a stronger side against the Brumbies. Weber, Alaimolo and possibly Luke Jacobson would make the 15/23 but DMac at 10 is much more comforting than Leger (who wasn't as bad as feared but is out of his depth at this level at the moment).

Shaun Stevenson, Ataata Moeakiola, Tumua Manu, Anton Lienert-Brown, Etene Nanai-Seturo, Damian McKenzie, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Tyler Ardron, Lachlan Boshier, Mitchell Brown, Michael Allardice, Brodie Retallick (c), Nepo Laulala, Nathan Harris, Aidan Ross.

Reserves: Samisoni Taukei'aho, Tevita Mafileo, Sefo Kautai, Taleni Seu, Mitchell Karpik, Jonathan Taumateine, Orbyn Leger, Bailyn Sullivan.

for those interested, a judicial committee has deemed that the referee was wrong to give a red card to sio tomkinson in the opening game v the chiefs.

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/tomkinson-escapes-punishment-for-red-card/614056

sydthebeat wrote: »
    for those interested, a judicial committee has deemed that the referee was wrong to give a red card to sio tomkinson in the opening game v the chiefs.

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/tomkinson-escapes-punishment-for-red-card/614056
    Retallick is the new DC, can't be hitting him too high and getting away with it.;)

Seriously though, it's a good thing for the comp that it didn't affect the outcome even if I am a Chiefs supporter.

Line outs been piss poor this morning from Coltman.... Drag him off and get Dixon on.

• Advertisement

Wow, a lot of emotion there at the end from kerevi.
    This reds team will do well this season I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That was a cracking match.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    That was a cracking match.

landers their own worst enemy, lots of individual unforced errors... dont think ive ever seen Ben Smith play as bad and Liam Coltman may go back to the rings this week.

however fair dues to the reds.... some absolutely brilliant tries... 100% effort and some very good pressure play. felt sorry for Rodda the end as he played out of his skin. Some very impressive performances in the reds.

Sorovi looks about 40, and plays like a highly experienced guy, but is only 23.
    Petaia at 13 was immense.. such strong running
    Fotuaika repaid his coaches faith with a very impressive showing in the loose too.

strong chance the brumbies could be the lowest aussie team this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Crusaders very impressive again last night, Richie Mo'unga particularly.

Chiefs in real trouble.

28 - 10 down away to brumbies after 37 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Very impressive half by the Brumbies. Scoring with relative ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

All that from an awful pass by McKenzie

Shocking and sobering stuff from what was a close to full strength Chiefs side. I hope this was a massive aberration or we will be fighting to not be wooden spooners.

Nice offload in the Saders game:
    RevolvingEnchantedCaiman.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Chiefs looked all over the place for a good part of that game.
    Hopefully they can get better as the season progresses. Brumbies looked good but I'm not so sure they are anywhere near as good as they looked in that game.

Hurricanes had a similar scoreline against the Brumbies in the first round of their title winning season...not that we should be thinking about titles after the first 2 games.

Sharks 19 - 0 up on blues at half time in front of no one in the king's park stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Stormers 19-17 Lions
    Forgettable game infront of an empty Newlands. Lions lead the whole game until Stormers scored in the 85th minute. The last 10 minutes was confusing. Ref brought Lions yellow card player back on the field when there was still 2-3 minutes left of his sin bin time. Stormers player taking the goal kick nearly made a balls of it with his run up which would have ended the game in a draw.

If I was SANZAAR I would be very worried about attendances in the first 2 weeks, across all games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Jacovs wrote: »
    Stormers 19-17 Lions
    Forgettable game infront of an empty Newlands. Lions lead the whole game until Stormers scored in the 85th minute. The last 10 minutes was confusing. Ref brought Lions yellow card player back on the field when there was still 2-3 minutes left of his sin bin time. Stormers player taking the goal kick nearly made a balls of it with his run up which would have ended the game in a draw.

If I was SANZAAR I would be very worried about attendances in the first 2 weeks, across all games.

Any screenshots?

troyzer wrote: »
    Any screenshots?

Nope.
    Anything in particular though?

Any screenshots?

Nope.
    Anything in particular though?

Just curious to know what the attendance looked like. I'll find some later but it's obvious that nobody in South Africa gives a rats.

• Advertisement

Just curious to know what the attendance looked like. I'll find some later but it's obvious that nobody in South Africa gives a rats.

Oh right. Well the whole section behind the posts were empty when the Stormers were attacking the Lions line in the last 10 minutes. The main pavilion was maybe 50% full on the bottom tier with maybe 5% of seats occupied in the upper tier. Will see are there official attendance figures.
    Not sure, but dont think the games in Aus and NZ are doing much better?

Oh right. Well the whole section behind the posts were empty when the Stormers were attacking the Lions line in the last 10 minutes. The main pavilion was maybe 50% full on the bottom tier with maybe 5% of seats occupied in the upper tier. Will see are there official attendance figures.
    Not sure, but dont think the games in Aus and NZ are doing much better?

Yeah, it's hard to know if it's just because the stadiums are too big.

I was at the RDS last night and I didn't think it would be well attended. But the stadium was mostly full. However, it's MUCH smaller than Newlands.

Yeah, it's hard to know if it's just because the stadiums are too big.

I was at the RDS last night and I didn't think it would be well attended. But the stadium was mostly full. However, it's MUCH smaller than Newlands.

Yeah in 2017 Newlands at nearly 52000 capacity was the second most attended with stadium in super rugby with 28700 average, only just over 55%. So I suppose the big stadiums dont help in average season games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

S Africa are paying a big price for building all those huge stadiums for the soccer world cup. The whole sustainable model is just not followed.

S Africa are paying a big price for building all those huge stadiums for the soccer world cup. The whole sustainable model is just not followed.

Dont think any of the world cup stadiums are being used in super rugby, yet.
    Stormers still in Newlands, or they were today anyways. Not sure are their games being split between Newlands and Cape Town stadium yet.
    Lions in Ellis Park.
    Bulls in Loftus
    Sharks still in Kings Park far as im aware.

I guess so many players playing abroad can't help attendances.
    What are soccer attendances like and is there a growth there versus the rugby.
    You often hear of young ambitious white people leaving the country so you wonder where the game is going there.

I guess so many players playing abroad can't help attendances.
    What are soccer attendances like and is there a growth there versus the rugby.
    You often hear of young ambitious white people leaving the country so you wonder where the game is going there.

Was reading today, Rassie Erasmus changing the system again to make all players eligible, not just players who have 30 or more caps for the boks. He admits that a player can earn more in 2 months abroad than a springbok who wins the world cup.

Soccer attendances is a whole different audience than rugby supporters over there.

So would that not leave the SA Super Rugby teams with an exodus of their top talent? Unless of course they are planning to push more teams north.

Their stadiums resemble Edinburgh playing in Murrayfield.

A lot of the unions seem to be in poor financial nick and badly managed. Is it reflective of the country as a whole or just a SA rugby union problem. I guess the whole black/white ratio rule doesn't help especially if that also applies to the running of clubs.

Interesting article on what you mentioned above.
    https://www.thesouthafrican.com/sa-rugby-to-battle-talent-drain-with-radical-contract-overhaul/

It seems they are threatening English/French clubs to release players for all international windows and giving extra cash to upcoming players to stay in SA. It seems like they are more worried about losing young SA talent before they have bedded in with the Super sides. We have already seen a few younger SAs being recruited into academies up north, Munster included.

South Africa will significantly grow their number of contracted players with a focus on succession planning to ensure those who do leave the set-up are more easily replaced.

The above sounds very like an expansion into the Pro14.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Sharks 19 - 0 up on blues at half time in front of no one in the king's park stadium

The ****ing Blues!! I just watched it this morning. Fffaaaarrrrrrkkkkk!!!! It's going to be another one of those seasons 😭🀬

On another note. The Crusaders. Holy ****.

• Advertisement

Highlanders v Rebels – 7.45pm (9.45pm NZT), Friday 1st March, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Daniel Lienert-Brown
    Ash Dixon (C)
    Siate Tokolahi
    Jackson Hemopo
    Pari Pari Parkinson
    Shannon Frizell
    James Lentjes
    Elliot Dixon
    Kayne Hammington
    Bryn Gatland*
    Josh McKay
    Teihorangi Walden
    Thomas Umaga-Jensen
    Waisake Naholo
    Josh Ioane

Reserves

Ricky Jackson**
    Ayden Johnstone
    Josh Iosefa-Scott**
    Tom Franklin
    Marino Mikaele Tu’u
    Folau Fakatava**
    Patelesio Tomkinson
    Marty Banks

*Pulse Energy Highlanders Debut

**Super Rugby Debut

Unavailable due to injury: Tevita Nabura (knee - season), Liam Squire (hip), Robert Thompson (ankle).

Good to see Elliot Dixon back staring, but i think that team is a little too green and rusty to pull out a win against a rebels side who were mightily impressive away in their first game.

Advertisement