Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Thats what other companies are doing.

According to Electric Ireland they wasted too much time going out to peoples house. Quoting and then the person wouldn't get planning permission or thought it was too expensive

Now I can 100% understand that. Hence why for these types of job's when I am unsure if I will go ahead I will give Eircode and get them to review the site from google maps and they can price base on that. Saves them money coming out.....

I can see your logic, however, I refuse to go to Step H just because the company couldn't be bothered doing Step D. I'm not going to give anyone thousands of euro of my money if they can't be bothered doing a site visit, answering my questions and giving a detailed quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I can see your logic, however, I refuse to go to Step H just because the company couldn't be bothered doing Step D. I'm not going to give anyone thousands of euro of my money if they can't be bothered doing a site visit, answering my questions and giving a detailed quote.

My brother is a tradesman. I also have a good few friends who are tradesman.

In the last few years they could spend every night of the week going from one house to another quoting people. All these people are looking for something for nothing....For work/life balance they have had to stop.

So I have no issue if they want to check you are really interested before spending time/money coming out. If really all you are doing is price checking against XYZ, easier just to quote over internet and if you want to go forward then site survey is way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

4.1kw with 4.8kwh battery €9,900 includes VAT So €6,100 after grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

niallers1 wrote: »

What kind if battery ?

I am getting a price for a 4kw solar system using "solarwatt" glass on glass panels, with a 5kwh ac/DC battery and Eddi diverter for 11k inc vat, so 7,200 cost after grant

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

2 x 2.4kwh pylontech battery. Decent enough reviews on the battery.

295 watt Trina black panels
    Vandervalk mounting system.

I think If You have the battery might not need the eddi. Just flick the switch on the immersion when there is juice in the battery.

• Advertisement

Just wondering has anyone got an actually quote and kit list from Electric Ireland for the base 2kW package. Or 1.8 I think it is

What invertor do they install?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Just wondering has anyone got an actually quote and kit list from Electric Ireland for the base 2kW package. Or 1.8 I think it is

What invertor do they install?

I spoke with two companies who said that they fit the Electric Ireland setup but they used different kit so I don't think that there's a standard Electric Ireland kit. I'm open to correction on that though. I applied for the interest free credit deal and was told that I'd be contacted by a subcontractor.

I spoke with two companies who said that they fit the Electric Ireland setup but they used different kit so I don't think that there's a standard Electric Ireland kit. I'm open to correction on that though. I applied for the interest free credit deal and was told that I'd be contacted by a subcontractor.

Just to update. For the 1.8kW installation it is a Trannergy 1800W

Quote:
    12 x 310w panels (3.72kw)
    5kw battery
    Eddi
    Zappi

€13,300 inc VAT and after grant

Quote:
    5kw battery
    Eddi
    Zappi

hahaha....

Seriously that is taking the urine.....

Post that companies name

So they have taken the grant and added it to the price.....so they are just taking the grant into their back pocket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,743 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Looks like they trebled the grant and took it into their back pocket. Rip off Ireland back in its full glory :rolleyes:

Quote:
    5kw battery
    Eddi
    Zappi

Oh my sweet mother of jesus, that is appalling.

I have a quote for 4kw plus 5kw battery, plus Eddi, for 11k inc vat, before grant, so end cost is 7k, and I still think that's too high, and thats using high end panels.

Name them and shame them

Quote:
    5kw battery
    Eddi
    Zappi

It was an interesting conversation I can tell you.

When I brought up about the planning and 12m2 being maximum limit that was exempt the guy told me that 12m2 was 12 meters in length by 12 meters in height and I that I had nothing to worry about!! I then explained with the aid of a diagram what 12m2 actually was!

I was told that the standing charge for night time electricity over a 24hr rate was an extra 50e/60e per month (if anyone doesn’t know - it’s not).

When I asked for a formal quote I was told that the figures I got on the back of the sheet of paper was the best I’m going to get without ordering.

I won’t name and shame as I don’t want a slap on the wrist or worse from a mod but If anyone is getting quotes and want to know the name of the company just send me a PM.

On a better note I got a somewhat more favourable quote.

10 x 320w panels (3.2kw system)
    5kw hybrid battery
    EDDI

€6,888 inc VAT and after grant.

It was an interesting conversation I can tell you.

When I brought up about the planning and 12m2 being maximum limit that was exempt the guy told me that 12m2 was 12 meters in length by 12 meters in height and I that I had nothing to worry about!! I then explained with the aid of a diagram what 12m2 actually was!

I was told that the standing charge for night time electricity over a 24hr rate was an extra 50e/60e per month (if anyone doesn’t know - it’s not).

When I asked for a formal quote I was told that the figures I got on the back of the sheet of paper was the best I’m going to get without ordering.

I won’t name and shame as I don’t want a slap on the wrist or worse from a mod but If anyone is getting quotes and want to know the name of the company just send me a PM.

Reminds me of Activ8 sales guy for solar thermal I had out once

Reminds me of Activ8 sales guy for solar thermal I had out once

Really... ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

My brother is a tradesman. I also have a good few friends who are tradesman.

In the last few years they could spend every night of the week going from one house to another quoting people. All these people are looking for something for nothing....For work/life balance they have had to stop.

So I have no issue if they want to check you are really interested before spending time/money coming out. If really all you are doing is price checking against XYZ, easier just to quote over internet and if you want to go forward then site survey is way to go

I know a lot of trades that don't quote randomers emailing them or phoning them unless they can meet the person and survey as they're just looking for something for nothing and wasting their time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Can u p m me company

gally74 wrote: »
    Can u p m me company

Can you pm ne also please and can you say what name of panels etc ?

Could you PM me details also please? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Ya, me too, please. I don't know why we can't just mention the companies involved. If they have a problem with their quotes being made public, they should't make them so ugly. :D

Ok, I've got a bit of a quandry now.

So, to date I have a quote of 11k for 4kwp solar with 5kw battery and hybrid inverter and eddi water heater equating to 7k after seai grant

Yesterday, was speaking to another company y who told me the battery was a poor invesent and should avoid it. He offered a 3.5kwp system for a cost of 5,100 after grant (which I think is expensive actually.

So for 1900 euro extra I am getting 4kwp instead of 3.5kwp and also a 5kwh battery with hybrid inverter meaning I can charge up at night time

Any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

He's right that batteries still make no financial sense on grid at current price levels.
    I don't have them and end up paying the low user surcharge half the year. The best ROI will be on a PV only system.

air wrote: »
    He's right that batteries still make no financial sense on grid at current price levels.
    I don't have them and end up paying the low user surcharge half the year. The best ROI will be on a PV only system.

You can't claim that outright without having more detailed split down of the install and parts costs

A 2.4kWh battery costs €975 + VAT (€1,100 including the VAT when done by an approved installer) and you get €1,000 subsidy

Looks to me like you should be able to add a small battery for very little money: €100 net cost of the battery + the extra install cost of the battery (can't see that being more than €100)

Plus maybe the cost of upgrading the inverter to a hybrid one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭denismc

I had panels fitted in May before the grant was announced.

8x260w panels with Goodwe 2500w inverter installed (2.08kw)= €3178 incl vat

Using HRI incentive , cost to me = €2800

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I agree about the battery. Then when you take the battery out of the equation why bother at all. I think its all still over priced.

I still think it's cheaper to get your regular RECI electrician to do the work forgetting about grants it will work out cheaper. Imagine not talking cash but these dedicated companies are just to expensive. There is already evidence of their pr going up since the announcement of the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Granted if you can get the battery, controller and installation for €100 it changes things!
    Just goes to show what a stupid system this grant scheme is.
    There's no environmental argument for domestic battery storage at our current level of PV penetration. Everyone should be encouraged to export to the grid until that changes.

I have to agree on Sleepers conclusion, prices being quoted here are very high vs the hardware costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    You can't claim that outright without having more detailed split down of the install and parts costs

A 2.4kWh battery costs €975 + VAT (€1,100 including the VAT when done by an approved installer) and you get €1,000 subsidy

Looks to me like you should be able to add a small battery for very little money: €100 net cost of the battery + the extra install cost of the battery (can't see that being more than €100)

Plus maybe the cost of upgrading the inverter to a hybrid one

The difference in cost between a hybrid inverter and a standard one is not far off €1k!

Any quotes I've seen for battery supply and install are nowhere near the €1100 inc vat you are quoting so I'd be interested to hear where you are getting that price from. Or is that €1100 when you buy it directly yourself?

Based on the figures I've calculated the battery install makes no financial sense even with the €1000 grant.

Batteries are coming down in cost and I think it makes more sense to wait for them to drop further rather than get hung up on the €1000 grant today. Wait long enough(3-5yrs maybe) and you will get better systems saving you more in capital costs than the grant is saving you today.

Some back of beer mat figures..... lets say, all things being equal, that the cost difference (after grant) between a system with and without a 2.4kWh battery is €1500... whats the ROI on that €1500....

16c/kWh for day rate electricity so thats just short of 10,000 units being required to break even.... thats ~4000 cycles of the battery which equates to ~11yrs and thats assuming that you get to cycle the battery everyday which won't actually happen in reality for several months of the year so its probably closer to 20yrs in reality..... it just doesn't add up.

Also bear in mind that the 2.4kWh is probably not all usable and all the systems I've seen have a 10yr warranty guaranteeing 80% capacity so by the time it has paid for itself (15-20yrs) the battery is probably <80%.... it could be cooked!

Battery costs need to come down before it makes any sense.

People also need to watch the quotes..... some providers are giving high PV only quotes to make it look like the batteries are worth going for, but the reality is that their PV only quotes are high, not the battery quote being low.

Get better PV only quotes and save yourself the capital cost of the batteries is my advice.

KCross wrote: »
    Any quotes I've seen for battery supply and install are nowhere near the €1100 inc vat you are quoting so I'd be interested to hear where you are getting that price from. Or is that €1100 when you buy it directly yourself?

No it's the price of the 2.4kWh battery that's €975 + VAT

I was just wondering how much the cheapest solution would be to get a tiny battery in, so you have the infrastructure in place to add larger batteries in a few years time

But you're quite right, a hybrid inverter costs a lot more than a normal one but if you are going to need one in a few years time anyway, you might as welll install it now (I don't think inverters will come down in price relatively as much as solar panels and batteries over the next few years)

Alternatively have a battery installed on the AC end, but I'm getting the impression this is more expensive than on the DC end (connected to hybrid inverter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No it's the price of the 2.4kWh battery that's €975 + VAT

Thats to buy it direct I guess? Not the price quoted, as installers will no doubt add on some margin for themselves. Add on the install costs and the hybrid inverter, subtract the €1000 grant and you are likely in the €1500 bracket, like I suggest.

I was just wondering how much the cheapest solution would be to get a tiny battery in, so you have the infrastructure in place to add larger batteries in a few years time

I sense you are focussed on drawing the €1000 grant! :)
    I think its short sighted. Draw the €1000 now but the batteries and inverters could drop by that much in the next few years anyway and the €1000 grant might still exist.

But you're quite right, a hybrid inverter costs a lot more than a normal one but if you are going to need one in a few years time anyway, you might as welll install it now (I don't think inverters will come down in price relatively as much as solar panels and batteries over the next few years)

It remains to be seen whether hybrid inverters will drop in price or not. My guess is that they will. They are relatively new tech (not inverters per se but domestic hybrid ones) and they don't have economies of scale yet. If Solar PV ramps up with the panels costs coming down and crucially battery costs coming down you could see an increase in demand for hybrid inverters which could in turn result in better pricing. It won't bring it down by €1k but maybe €500 is possible.

I still just don't think it makes sense to add a battery via the grant system. It might make sense if you do it outside the grant, directly sourced parts and have a good spark friend who will do it for you as a favour.

Advertisement