Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving

• 27-07-2018 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭

I’ve played golf a bit since I was a teenager - few times a year, sometimes more sometimes not at all.

I’m 34 now and looking at getting into it bit more now - im now working part time now and kids just hitting school age.

So how do I go about improving? Just a matter of playing more for while and see where I get to? Get a few lessons (money is tight but could stretch to it)?

I’ve got a swing - it’s self thought from when I was a kid (mainly smashing a PW for hours). My swing is defo fast as is my whole game (mates I play with always saying to slow down) but it’s not atrocious. I wouldn’t consider myself a total hacker, though to anyone decent I prob am!! Can drive 220+ and getting on most greens (or near them) in two - so I can move the ball!

My chipping/short irons is best part of game but my putting is woeful (don’t think I give it the importance it deserves) - regularly 3 putt and don’t ever hole much outside 10 feet.

I played Beaverstown earlier - went round in 103 but first 9 was atrocious as hadn’t played in 5/6 weeks and only played twice this summer till now. Came back far stronger (11 shots better than out). Reckon if I played next week I’d score at most 95/96. Course was obviously playing short with weather (missed an eagle putt on par 5) but on other side balls were running off greens and they seemed fast - couldn’t get pace of them at all but like I say I feel putting is a big issue.

That’s about my level I wouldn’t see myself breaking 90 on any local courses but wouldn’t be much over 100 either.

In terms of equipment

have decent set of irons Taylor made irons,

need a new driver - using one I think someone lent me but somehow never found its way back - it feels long and too flexible. Play with my mates ping with stiff shaft when he’s out with me and find it much better.

Putter - using a Malibu one which came with first ever Argos clubs. Prob do with an upgrade :pac: esp giving I don’t put well, might focus the mind.

Plan is to play next Friday and hopefully most fridays after. Any thoughts/ pointers welcome in terms of where to go improving - just play/lessons (focus on putting?) or get a decent driver/putter to help.

Once a week is prob all I can get out with kids but could fit in another 2 hours midweek - practice/ play par 3 course etc. Not sure if that is enough to improve much

I’ve no clueless handicaps etc so just wondering what I’d need to shoot on par 72 to have 18 handicap? I assume 90? I know you’ve to work your way down etc just kinda want to understand if I can get down around 90 what level I’d be at. I think that’s fairly achievable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A new putter wont work magic, so I wouldnt rush out and buy one.

how many putts do you take per round?
    How many balls would you lose off the tee?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

GreeBo wrote: »
    A new putter wont work magic, so I wouldnt rush out and buy one.

how many putts do you take per round?
    How many balls would you lose off the tee?

Putts I’m not sure of exact numbe as not playing regular enough but I 3 putted a lot today - overcooking and missing putt back or way short and missing 2nd. Really struggled with pace today. I made 1 putt of any distance today.

Not keen to buy unless need to - more just think the shiny new toy might focus me around green. I think I tend to focus on driver and irons as I’m not a long hitter compared to 2 of my mates. The fact they weren’t playing with me and course was playing shorter defo really helped as my long game can suffer from pulling as trying to murder the ball and closing face on impact. Struck the ball really really well on back 9 for 46, and if I’d not had so many 3 putts could of been better. Front 9 was just a mess with no practice in weeks or warm up - first few holes I was terrible.

Didn’t lose a ball today - Beaverstown fairly forgiving though and was better than normal off the tee. I’d typically lose 1/2 balls I’d say.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Putts I’m not sure of exact numbe as not playing regular enough but I 3 putted a lot today - overcooking and missing putt back or way short and missing 2nd. Really struggled with pace today. I made 1 putt of any distance today.

Not keen to buy unless need to - more just think the shiny new toy might focus me around green. I think I tend to focus on driver and irons as I’m not a long hitter compared to 2 of my mates. The fact they weren’t playing with me and course was playing shorter defo really helped as my long game can suffer from pulling as trying to murder the ball and closing face on impact. Struck the ball really really well on back 9 for 46, and if I’d not had so many 3 putts could of been better. Front 9 was just a mess with no practice in weeks or warm up - first few holes I was terrible.

Didn’t lose a ball today - Beaverstown fairly forgiving though and was better than normal off the tee. I’d typically lose 1/2 balls I’d say.

Forget about trying to hit it further for now, thats not whats causing you shots.

1) Keep track of your putts for every round. Putting is the easiest place to save shots. You should be aiming for ~30 putts per round. Good days will be 27 but bad days should be no more than 33/34.

2) Losing 1-2 balls a round is costing you 2-4 shots per round. If your driver is not working for you during a round then stop hitting it, drop down a club until you get to a club you are hitting well.

Three 5 irons is better than a Driver OB and then another one and still a 5 iron left to the green.

18 Bogeys should be your first target.

BTW some people won't agree with this approach but I think as an effective beginner its the best way to learn how to play golf rather than just hitting a ball and keeping score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Always harder to learn hitting driver later so stick at it.
    Airport driving range would be good for practice they have a putting green.
    If u feel the driver is too flexible and the putter is from Argos u could pick up decent upgrades second hand for less than 50 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Get a lesson. If that doesn't work, get a lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Forget about trying to hit it further for now, thats not whats causing you shots.

1) Keep track of your putts for every round. Putting is the easiest place to save shots. You should be aiming for ~30 putts per round. Good days will be 27 but bad days should be no more than 33/34.

2) Losing 1-2 balls a round is costing you 2-4 shots per round. If your driver is not working for you during a round then stop hitting it, drop down a club until you get to a club you are hitting well.

Three 5 irons is better than a Driver OB and then another one and still a 5 iron left to the green.

BTW some people won't agree with this approach but I think as an effective beginner its the best way to learn how to play golf rather than just hitting a ball and keeping score.

Good advice I would say but I have to say if 33-34 putts represents a bad round, I’d be happy to have bad rounds for the rest of my golfing days.

Good advice I would say but I have to say if 33-34 putts represents a bad round, I’d be happy to have bad rounds for the rest of my golfing days.

Are you currently hitting 18 greens in regulation?

Yeah I need to count putts for sure. I’d say I hit 42+ yesterday (2 x 1 putts, 10 x 2 putt, 8 x 3 putts). Not normally that bad but I’d be amazed if I could even get it to 36 putts.

I take what you’re saying re driver, but I’d say I hit 13 yesterday and most were good and didn’t lose a ball. I would of thought losing 1 ball, 2 at worst would have been standard given my level - I’ve played with lads losing 3+.

Also with having more time to play/practice I feel it should improve further. Dropping it for a while seems counter intuitive.

However there is defo holes were OB and trees more in play and I’ll need to start considering hitting irons. I hit driver all day yesterday and then 7/8 irons into greens (usually 5/6 irons when ground softer and then often need a chip from edge side of green which masks my putting woes as putting from very close as good at bump and runs).

I defo wanna target 90 that’s the goal!

Yeah I was shocked with this, if I’d 36 or so I’d be happy.

Only time I’d have less is when my 3rd to par 4 or 2nd to par 3 is short chip from around the green, thereby reducing the need to putt. It’s almost how I get by on rounds

Are you currently hitting 18 greens in regulation?

God no, never have nor ever will, if you forgive the obvious lack of ambition! But the way this mid-handicapper would see it, even if I hit 10 greens in regulation (average day or thereabouts) and still 2-putted every green (or at least effectively cancelled my 3 putts out with one putts) I'd still be on target to shoot around the 80 mark and comfortably beat my handicap.

Dont get me wrong, if I'd just finished a round with 33 putts, I wouldnt be going back to the clubhouse breathlessly claiming I'd mastered the greens. But neither would I be feeling at all despondent about it.

• Advertisement

Only time I’d have less is when my 3rd to par 4 or 2nd to par 3 is short chip from around the green, thereby reducing the need to putt. It’s almost how I get by on rounds

You and thousands of others I would say. That just sounds like good course management to me. I'm far from being a wizard around the greens, but I'm always struck by the number of guys i play with who will instinctively reach for the Texas wedge within any kind of shouting distance from the green, sometimes regardless of what terrain still lies between ball and hole (short of bunkers or ankle-deep rough and such like, at least). Often as not, that just brings four-putt into the equation rather than anything else.

Yeah I need to count putts for sure. I’d say I hit 42+ yesterday (2 x 1 putts, 10 x 2 putt, 8 x 3 putts). Not normally that bad but I’d be amazed if I could even get it to 36 putts.

So 42+putts is pretty bad! :)

You are handing 6+ shots back to the course, the game is hard enough without that!
    If you have having that many putts then there are really 3 main possibilities:
    1) You are leaving the ball too far away from the hole with your approach/chip/whatever (20+ feet)
    2) You are missing a lot of short (< 3 feet) putts
    3) Your long putting is consistently leaving you more than 3 feet away from the hole.

If it's 1) then you need to work on your chipping/pitching. At your level you can't really expect to be hitting it close in regulation most of the time, so the reality is that you are chipping/pitching onto most greens You need to be getting these within 15 feet for pitches, under 10 feet for chips.

If its 2) then you just need to head to the practice green and try for 20 of these in a row from 3 feet. no break, dead straight, stay until you get the 20.

If its 3) then you need to work on your pace on the putting green, often this is a symptom of a poor strike on the putts, wrap a rubber band on each end of the putter face leaving enough of a gap in the middle so that you can hit a ball without it hitting either band. Practice long putts like this and you will soon see if you are missing the middle of the putter face, this is a killer for long putts as the same stroke could be 10feet short or long based on where you strike it.
    I take what you’re saying re driver, but I’d say I hit 13 yesterday and most were good and didn’t lose a ball. I would of thought losing 1 ball, 2 at worst would have been standard given my level - I’ve played with lads losing 3+.
    Also with having more time to play/practice I feel it should improve further. Dropping it for a while seems counter intuitive.
    If you are trying to get to 18 handicap then you shouldn't be losing any balls, 1 every 3-4 games would be ok.
    You need to see why you are losing balls, is it always a big slice on the same hole for example? If you identify something like this then you need to change your approach, just hit an iron on this hole for example.

Practice it when you are not playing with a card in your hand, its more important to your score that you don't lose a ball than you use driver and hit it an extra 50 yards.
    However there is defo holes were OB and trees more in play and I’ll need to start considering hitting irons. I hit driver all day yesterday and then 7/8 irons into greens (usually 5/6 irons when ground softer and then often need a chip from edge side of green which masks my putting woes as putting from very close as good at bump and runs).

Thats expected, and that's why you need to expect under 36 putts. You are not going to be hitting greens in regulation you are going to be chipping most of the time. If you are chipping on 18 holes for example, and still having more than 36 putts, you need to work on your chipping!

See above, at your level you should be taking short chips from around most of the greens.
    God no, never have nor ever will, if you forgive the obvious lack of ambition! But the way this mid-handicapper would see it, even if I hit 10 greens in regulation (average day or thereabouts) and still 2-putted every green (or at least effectively cancelled my 3 putts out with one putts) I'd still be on target to shoot around the 80 mark and comfortably beat my handicap.
    10 greens in regulation is *very* good, better than the average mid-handicapper...assuming you are talking mid-teens?
    If going for the green in regulation is resulting in 3 putts, then stop going for greens in regulation! Play short, chip it close as you say you can, and have 1 or at most 2 putts. This will avoid the disasters caused by going for the green and also avoid the 3 putts.
    Dont get me wrong, if I'd just finished a round with 33 putts, I wouldnt be going back to the clubhouse breathlessly claiming I'd mastered the greens. But neither would I be feeling at all despondent about it.

And you shouldn't 33 putts is an ok day on the green, but its not a good day. If you are having 33 putts then I'd guess you are missing a lot of short putts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Anything outside 25ft for an approach brings the risk of a 3 putt so don't be too hard on yourself for the 3 putts. Get good at a wedge distance and build your game around it.

10 greens in regulation is *very* good, better than the average mid-handicapper...assuming you are talking mid-teens?
    If going for the green in regulation is resulting in 3 putts, then stop going for greens in regulation! Play short, chip it close as you say you can, and have 1 or at most 2 putts. This will avoid the disasters caused by going for the green and also avoid the 3 putts.

And you shouldn't 33 putts is an ok day on the green, but its not a good day. If you are having 33 putts then I'd guess you are missing a lot of short putts?

Hover between mid to low teens past number of years. And I may well be over-selling myself with that GIR total, have never been in the business of keeping records so a bit like Anglo Irish, i did pluck it out of my @rse a bit! Then again, tee to green is the solid part of my game, so its probably not that far off. I'd tend to give myself in the region of 3-4 decent, or at least semi-decent, birdie chances per round, but conversion rate is poor to shocking.

I think my flaws are pretty standard. I try to rein myself in to play sensible, bogey golf, but after the first set-back or through sheer impatience, I will quickly revert to type and start going for glory again. And, of course, for every 20 minutes I spend on the putting or chipping green, I'd spend hours, if not days, belting balls on the range even though its the short stuff that is letting me down.

I'd get a rare day, maybe even less than a handful a year, when the stars align and all the elements of my game come together, confidence soars and I shoot the lights out (or what constitutes it for my range of ability anyway). Still, if asked if I could rewind the clock, start off again a more focussed and consistent golfer, not so blithely ignoring my weaknesses, the answer is most definitely, in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Op, get a short game/putting lesson, it could be the best money you spend.
    Greebo is right, you can’t buy a game so new clubs aren’t always the answer, even if we all like shiny things. However, if I was you I’d try out a number of different putters, it could be that you find something with a different feel, look, weight etc that you like and get along with.
    It sounds like you are well able to hit the ball, so for me I’d say you might need to make sure you have a definite idea of what you’re trying to do on each shot, think about where you want to play your next from rather than just aiming at the flag or green. Use your head and ask “where is the good miss on this hole ?”

Also, around the greens, get comfortable with a basic pitch shot and a basic chip and run that will get you into the middle of the green almost all the time, that way you’ll rarely be far from the hole.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lessons, get lessons to sort out any issues before they become issues.
    Lesson 1+2, grip, posture and alignment
    Lesson 3 Driver and woods
    Lesson 4 Short irons
    Lesson 5 Putting

The reason I'd leave putting to last is you can't (I hope) lose a ball putting....

Lessons is your answer, not internet text.
    Good luck, a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Nick Dougherty had a very good putting exercise on Sky recently. Basically pace off about ten feet from the hole, less if you think you need it and place a tee there, then put a tee in every foot from there out to about twenty feet from the hole. Start at the closest one and once you hole it, remove the tee and move out to the next one. Don't forget to tap down where the tee was ;).

Just keep going until you have got to the twenty foot marker. You can keep going after that, but it's a great exercise for working on your pace and lne as it will often change as you get further from the hole. Do it for downhill, flat and uphll putts. It will take you an hour or so and you wll notice the difference when you're playing.

Just want to say thanks for all the input - much appreciate.

Like the sound of the putting drills and guess i got to put time into practicing putting and not just driving/irons.

Have a good chipping game, so it's defo more over/under weighting putts from 10 feet + and also missing 3/4 feeters.

Booked to play another 18 next Friday but on tougher course so we'll see how it goes.

Just want to say thanks for all the input - much appreciate.

Like the sound of the putting drills and guess i got to put time into practicing putting and not just driving/irons.

Have a good chipping game, so it's defo more over/under weighting putts from 10 feet + and also missing 3/4 feeters.

Booked to play another 18 next Friday but on tougher course so we'll see how it goes.

It seems like you are well able to hit the ball, so you just need to pay attention for a few rounds and see where it is you are squandering the shots.

Nothing more frustrating than hitting it well but scoring badly.

tbh thats the difference between golf and "hitting a golf ball", it always take time for that to sink in with people, some people never get it :)

Played Balbriggan yesterday - 98, which was a big improvement on 103 at beaverstowm as defo a harder and longer course. The rain, wet ball and wet rough also made it tougher.

4 pars and drove great all day the highlights- 1 pulled hook but chipped back to fairway, most drives 230 metres or so, consistent and straight. Struggled with long irons on fairway and rough. Pitching not as good as usual.

37 putts - good for me at this stage and defo better than last week. 4 x 3 putts.

Enjoyed it and happy enough.

Played balheary par 3 midweek twice too - 71 and then 68. Defo helped with playing friday. One poor hole where i pulled ball out of bounfs so defo capable of around 65.

• Advertisement

Played Balbriggan yesterday - 98, which was a big improvement on 103 at beaverstowm as defo a harder and longer course. The rain, wet ball and wet rough also made it tougher.

4 pars and drove great all day the highlights- 1 pulled hook but chipped back to fairway, most drives 230 metres or so, consistent and straight. Struggled with long irons on fairway and rough. Pitching not as good as usual.

37 putts - good for me at this stage and defo better than last week. 4 x 3 putts.

Enjoyed it and happy enough.

Played balheary par 3 midweek twice too - 71 and then 68. Defo helped with playing friday. One poor hole where i pulled ball out of bounfs so defo capable of around 65.

What would you consider a long iron?
    With your goals I don't think you should be hitting more than a 6 or 7 iron off the deck, maybe a 5 from the tee at most.

Do you have a hybrid you could use? Certainly better for your score to use that, especially from the rough.

Remember you don't have to be going for a green in 2 just because it says par 4 on the tee box. Your target is 18 bogeys, shoot that before you start aiming for 9 pars.

Put it another way, you are not shooting ~100 because you are not able to hit a green in regulation. I could probably lay up on every hole and still break 90, no reason you can't too. It will certainly help you to consistently break 100.

tbh thats the difference between golf and "hitting a golf ball", it always take time for that to sink in with people, some people never get it :)
    To be fair, when you start playing golf, hittig the golf ball is the primary objective. ;)

prawnsambo wrote: »
    To be fair, when you start playing golf, hittig the golf ball is the primary objective. ;)

Smart you are but not yet wise you be young padawan.

Hitting it as little as possible the primary objective be.

Smart you are but not yet wise you be young padawan.

Hitting it as little as possible the primary objective be.
    Indeed master. But first one must be able to hit it effectively. Or so it is taught, no? ;)

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Indeed master. But first one must be able to hit it effectively. Or so it is taught, no? ;)

Trying to hit it effectively leads to going for incorrect shots, going for incorrect shots leads to swinging to hard, swinging too hard leads to the dark side (the trees)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Ye have me reading that in Yoda's / Darth Sidious voice now!!! :)

Trying to hit it effectively leads to going for incorrect shots, going for incorrect shots leads to swinging to hard, swinging too hard leads to the dark side (the trees)
    Master has forgotten his humble beginnings when he hit ftesh air and made the ball move one tenth of a llama's mickey. :D

Right I'm back - played 7/8 rounds last year before hamstring injury meant I packed it in.

Not bothering me this year and played 7/8 rounds thos year so far so well ahead of last year in that respect- corrstown, hollystown, swords open all couple of times and a few par 3 rounds.

Shot 89 few weeks back at swords open (par 71) to break 90 for first time. Shot 90 on same course after 2 weeks away from holidays.

Played palmerstown house estate today in golf outing and shot 93 off green tees - first time ever playing with anyone but my mates/work mates. 1 birdie and 5 pars and 33 points (off 18 - no handicap). First ever stableford effort too.

Anyway the question is how best to practice putting when not a member somewhere? I've still never practiced it bar playing. 41 putts today from 93 shots!

I suppose do half an hour here or there around rounds?

Thoughts appreciated.

Nothing wrong with putting at home on the carpet.
    Did it for years and still do.

Speed might be different but stroke is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Right I'm back - played 7/8 rounds last year before hamstring injury meant I packed it in.

Not bothering me this year and played 7/8 rounds thos year so far so well ahead of last year in that respect- corrstown, hollystown, swords open all couple of times and a few par 3 rounds.

Shot 89 few weeks back at swords open (par 71) to break 90 for first time. Shot 90 on same course after 2 weeks away from holidays.

Played palmerstown house estate today in golf outing and shot 93 off green tees - first time ever playing with anyone but my mates/work mates. 1 birdie and 5 pars and 33 points (off 18 - no handicap). First ever stableford effort too.

Anyway the question is how best to practice putting when not a member somewhere? I've still never practiced it bar playing. 41 putts today from 93 shots!

I suppose do half an hour here or there around rounds?

Thoughts appreciated.

Airport driving range good short game area there

Advertisement