Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retained Fire Service

• 12-12-2007 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi All - enquiring about the possibilty of entering the fire service as a part-timer. Have my own business, so current job would not be an issue. What are the stipulations to get into this? Is there a regular recruitment drive on, or is it a case of when people get in they tend to hold onto the position for a long time. I'm living in Mayo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

try contacting Civil defence or Mayo county council.

good luck, but be aware the medical can be strict.Eg no glassses due to using breathing appartaus.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭intothewest

Many thanks. No glasses so that won't be an issue. Figured the medical will be tough alright. Have contacted the CoCo for more info, so will try the Civil Defence aswell. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Some retained stations are constantly looking for people, others have sufficent personnel at present.

The main stipulation with regard to becoming a retained firefighter is that you are able to respond to the station within about 5 minutes of your beeper going off.

The official site for Mayo Fire Service is http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/FireService/

It might be a plan to give the contact number listed there a ring.

As for the Civil Defence, that's an entirely different organisation and is a reserve rather than a frontline service which does not get involved in regular firefighting - I'm not sure they have an active Auxiliiary Fire Service component in Mayo, for that matter.

Advertisement