Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gold Coast Suns

• 22-07-2010 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭

The 17th AFL team was officially confirmed tonight with the logo, guernseys and club song all revealed.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/98802/default.aspx
    'We are the suns of the Gold Coast sky'

THE IDENTITY of the league's 17th club is official with the unveiling of the Gold Coast Suns in Queensland on Thursday night.

Gold Coast's home, away and clash strips, along with the club song, were also revealed ahead of the new franchise's 2011 entry into the AFL.

Chief executive Travis Auld said settling on the nickname was not a tough decision in the end.

"When the name Suns came up it was just so damn obvious," he said.

"It's a fantastic name for our new football club.

"It represent all our values - relentless, dependable, community, bold and fresh - and it has a sense of the great elements of the Gold Coast.

"The sun is why people come here."

Auld said Stingrays and Sharks were other options discussed, but ruled out for various commercial reasons.

"If you call yourself the Sharks you can't have a clothing range in Australia, because Greg Norman owns the rights to do it," Auld said.

"More than 100 names came to our attention over the past year or so, but we thought Suns was clearly the one to go for."

Gold Coast's home strip is similar to that being worn in the VFL this season. Predominantly red, the guernsey has had yellow panels added down the sides.

Boom recruit Karmichael Hunt, who crossed from a successful rugby league career to join the club, was glowing of the design.

"It's all come out well for me," he said. "I think it looks sensational."

The away strip is also red and yellow, but features a wave arching up across the chest. The shorts are white.

"We want to take a bit of the Gold Coast away with us each time we travel," Auld said.

"And the kids seem to love that one."

However, Gold Coast's clash strip is largely white with blue trim and a blue wave. It will be worn in away matches against Adelaide, the Brisbane Lions, Essendon and Melbourne.

The club song is based on a submission from the GC17 bid process almost two years ago.

A Victorian by the name of Ross Arundale wrote the original lyrics and even recorded a demo version.

Since then the players and staff have had their input, as has noted musician and footy fan Greg Champion.

In the final product, the tune composed by Arundale remains largely intact but the words have changed.

Auld said the players were encouraged to contribute to the lyrics.

"We said to [them], 'Help us come up with something that’s a real footy song'," he said.

"They all sat in a room, putting the words on the whiteboard and singing the different versions until they found one they liked.

"We think it’s a beauty."

Gold Coast's club song
    We are the suns of the Gold Coast sky
    We are the one in the red, gold and blue
    We are the mighty Gold Coast Suns
    We play to win the flag for you

Fight! Fight! Fight! Till we hold up the cup
    Run, run, run all the way
    We are the suns of the Gold Coast sky
    We’re the team who never say die!

guernseys.jpg

The song is horrific to say the least!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That song is hilarious!

I like the guernseys though.. particularly the blue and white one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Yeah the blue and white gearnsey is nice.
    I dont really like the name "Suns", "Sharks" would have been better, bloody Greg Norman :rolleyes:
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Jaysus that song is woeful, its as if they went into a couple of primary schools and asked them to make up a few songs and then picked the worst one :D

Like the guernseys alright, Ablett will look well in it next year :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

anyone hear Aker on the footy show talking about how he'll get in touch with the gold coast and team up with Ablett? if nothing else, he is definitely outspoken! nice jerseys alright, crap song!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Aker on the Footy Show was possibly the best tv I've ever seen. Fantastic viewing and I hope he plays on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Aker on the Footy Show was possibly the best tv I've ever seen. Fantastic viewing and I hope he plays on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUImZlTfCVA&feature=watch_response_rev

Just watching it now, love it when Browny calls Aker out on not acknowledging him when he came out!

I don't know a lot about him but Sam Newman comes across as a bit of a dick and always seems to have an agenda, although i think he's mates with Aker?

I wouldn't be his biggest fan, and I think its stupid that a current player should be as active in the media as Aker is, but at the same time I'd love to see him play again next year. Gold Coast wold be very interesting but I don't see it happening

Advertisement