Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupational hazards?

• 02-01-2008 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Yet another inquisitive/annoying thread from me :)

Just wondering what kind of negative/dangerous experiences people have had on the job. I'm sure in the various lines of work you're put in all sorts of compromising situations. The FB "play" (for want of a better word :p) with fire all day, so that will surely result in a few hairy moments, not to mention the threat of attack from local morons; the Gardaí are dealing with the scum of the earth on a regular basis, and I'm sure have to put up with all sorts of sh*t... and of course there's the recent threat of armed violence to worry about now; ambos have it easiest I would think :p, but I'm sure there's still an element of danger involved in the work which ye can tell us about.

Do share! What are the hairiest moments you've had on the job? Shot at? Nearly fell off the ladder while getting a cat out of a tree? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

One saturday night a colleague and me arrested this fella for public order. He was bleeding from the mouth but when we were struggling with him he sprayed blood (by accident) into my partners eyes. He went to A&E to wash out his eyes with a litre of some liquid in each eye. The nurses said there was a very slight chance he would contract any type of disease. He was put on medication for 2 weeks which basically broke down his immune system so he couldn't work. Every 6 months he will have to be tested for diseases. He is the second person on my unit of 5 people that will be tested every 6 months.

In the 2 hours we were in the A&E it really brought it home to me the dangers of the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Oh god, imagine that the thought of various diseases that are carried by blood...:eek: You guys to excellent work!:) Stay Safe.

Advertisement